• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original B-15D purchase (modified?)

London Cabbie

What’s the difference between USAF issued and reproduction Alpha. I have two Greenbrier Ma-1 which are new old stock, that sit a tiny bit creased around the collar, not sure if it’s just storage or faulty. I washed after purchase and it’s slowly straightening out over time. Issued also fit looser so I have been told to fit over flight suits? Have on order a new old stock issued Alpha. Have noticed a few Concord which I think have something to do with Alpha what are they like. All this until I find a D spec ‘63 original IGC...Apologies @bazelot for hijack your thread.

bazzer

What’s the difference between USAF issued and reproduction Alpha. I have two Greenbrier Ma-1 which are new old stock, that sit a tiny bit creased around the collar, not sure if it’s just storage or faulty. I washed after purchase and it’s slowly straightening out over time. Issued also fit looser so I have been told to fit over flight suits? Have on order a new old stock issued Alpha. Have noticed a few Concord which I think have something to do with Alpha what are they like. All this until I find a D spec ‘63 original IGC...Apologies @bazelot for hijack your thread.
I suppose it up to what you want I like the challenge of finding original service jackets
Usaf gear is made to a very high standard and will last and will always command a higher price

Especially if you have some history with the jacket ie flyers name unit patches etc all adds to it story and to some extent value I would pay more for jacket with history and more worn out them a pristine jacket of the same age with no history

A bit of wear and odd hole does not bother me I will change Knitts fur trim zips etc
i feel responsibility to conserve the jackets I own and believe that if they were still in service these would be changed to make the jacket still wearable

there's nothing wrong with reproduction as long as you are aware that what your paying for
I only have one reproduction and thats a Bronson m-1a which I wear a lot and find it just as good as most original jackets I own
However the Bronson was a lot cheaper then an original as it is just a clone not an original

There's a link to a old post with some label info
Baz

bazzer

bazzer

I asked the same question when I joined see link above
I used the London recommend by 917k for one one of my n2b very happy
I now use a local seamstress who is also excellent but in Hampshire

Hope that helps

Last edited:

London Cabbie

Brilliant I’ve just come across Buyee Japan not found any originals but loads of reproduction 2nd hand. Most items taken good care of too... more venues for addiction. Thanks mate.

917_k

Original B-15s (A-D) are definitely a lot harder to find in the UK, I guess because they were only really issued for 10 years or so in the early 50s, before being totally replaced by the MA-1, which remained in use a lot longer. The B-15D seems to be the most commonly available, and B-15/B-15As aren’t mega rare. Certainly I think it’s fair to say that the B-15B and B-15C are the most sought after (Marilyn Monroe effect perhaps with the C) and the B-15B is very scarce.

Personally I think they’re one of the best flight jackets going and look really cool.

Dany McDonald

Yes you gotta love the nylon B-15!

I am especially after any B-15B (Reed, Eisner, Gardner, Great lakes)) and the Olive B-15C (Monarch, Midwest Fur), and any N-3.... Crossing my fingers...

Dany

B-Man2

Would agree with cabbie . Would like to see it on you as well, to see how it looks . Do what I do and blot out your head, if you’re like me and too shy to be on the Internet (Wise move in my opinion ) ;)

bazelot

Would agree with cabbie . Would like to see it on you as well, to see how it looks . Do what I do and blot out your head, if you’re like me and too shy to be on the Internet (Wise move in my opinion ) ;)
I will post pics. No need to blot anything, I am not bashful. I may not have any pants on though, i hope no one minds.

bazelot

by popular demand. I even put pants on:
20210210_152424.jpg