• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original B-15D purchase (modified?)

Dany McDonald

My experience tells me that It is actually better to clean stains after a first, let say, ''bath'' or wash.

I've had success with a generous glycerin soap scrub (let the nylon soak for best results) to break the oily structure of the stain and use hot water to foam. Bicarbonate powder is also very good on stains too. Since nylon dries very fast you can have a go with both product the same after-noon. Glycerin and Bicarb are mild so they will not harm the nylon or fabric. Be sure to rinse with cold after. I am sure you will get good results! Restoring is a fun but slow process.

Please share images before & after if you can.

D

bazelot

YUp, I washed it asecond time on the stains and now it is close to perfect. I put it in the wash again but just for Rinse and spin to drain the water. It is looking pretty good, still drying but looks almost perfect now.

bazelot

Before:
s-l1600 (6).jpg

After:

After.jpg

bazelot

Are you serious, man it looks like a different jacket! Superb job.

Did you scrub of just plain washer?

Dany

I scrubbed with a toothbrush before the first wash and after the first wash I scrubbed more energetically. I actually scrubbed the shit out of it, literally :). I was afraid to discolor the nylon but there is nodiscoloration at all. I was really happy with the result. I thought putting it in the washing machine would completely destroy the knit collar but it made it look a lot better as it was yellow with dirt before. It only has a couple of nips inside the knit collar and i darned them

bazelot

The job you did on this has made me think about buying a vintage...superb.

Thanks, i have had bad experience washing nylon by hand. Usually it damages the knits a lot. Putting it in the washing machine was way way better and you don't need to use distilled water as it drains all the water from it so you don't get ring marks on the nylon

London Cabbie

I have the @Bronson version which is only 40% wool lining. Shall try the washing machine after your success. Would love some more close up detail photos. Also can anyone point me in the right direction for chart/ dates of all the Nylon contracts..? Or any good reference books/ magazines.

917_k

That’s turned out fantastic! I’ve been scared to wash any of my extensive collection of nylon jackets (B-15s, L-2Bs, early MA-1s & N2/N3s), but seeing this I’m going to get cracking and give them a proper clean.

917_k

I have the @Bronson version which is only 40% wool lining. Shall try the washing machine after your success. Would love some more close up detail photos. Also can anyone point me in the right direction for chart/ dates of all the Nylon contracts..? Or any good reference books/ magazines.

These are a good start if you just want some solid photo reference of the different types and contract variations. Suit Up! is a little harder to find, but copies turn up on eBay (I’ve got a copy, so happy to send you photos of all the relevant pages of B-15 jackets).

3B272DDD-E4D8-4B52-89B2-C6DF8EC1945C.jpeg

5F20F267-C905-4C29-8A1A-F0BB3748F64C.jpeg

I guess the holy grail is ‘Full Gear‘ which is supposed to be the bible of US flight gear reference, but is impossible to find.

This forum has actually been a massive help for me in finding out contract dates and details about these early nylon flight jackets.

London Cabbie

These are a good start if you just want some solid photo reference of the different types and contract variations. Suit Up! is a little harder to find, but copies turn up on eBay (I’ve got a copy, so happy to send you photos of all the relevant pages of B-15 jackets).

View attachment 52713

View attachment 52714

I guess the holy grail is ‘Full Gear‘ which is supposed to be the bible of US flight gear reference, but is impossible to find.

This forum has actually been a massive help for me in finding out contract dates and details about these early nylon flight jackets.
Have the lightning copy. There was a fella here who compiled a full chart of Nylon contracts however it has disappeared now. @oose

bazzer

Has most of them or

Need Google translate for that one

If your looking for a vintage ma-1 or l-2b you should check out

They don't charge the earth like eBay most just need new Knitts and they are very honest
just put usaf in search there is a 10% off code at the introduction at the top of page
Baz

Last edited:

London Cabbie

Has most of them or

Need Google translate for that one

If your looking for a vintage ma-1 or l-2b you should check out

They don't charge the earth like eBay most just need new Knitts and they are very honest
just put usaf in search there is a 10% off code at the introduction at the top of page
Baz
@bazzer thankyou for that.