• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original B-15D purchase (modified?)

bazelot

It looks like the B-15D was originally spec'd with a fur collar. It looks like some of them were also made with a knit collar without the Modified Spec tag. Was this a common occurrence? I wear nylons from time to time (Just saying it make it sound weird :)) but i don't know much about them.
This Lion Uniform B-25D I just purchased looks like it is in stellar condition. It will just need a good wash.
I intend to wash it by hand with Woolite so i don't damage anything. Anyone has abetter suggestion to clean it? I've had bad experiences dry cleaning 65 years old jackets before.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg

B-Man2

Baze
Great looking jacket. While the label states “Dry Clean Only “ I have hand washed a few in the past and didn’t have any issues with them.
Regarding the label and the collar, I can only guess that this may have been a depot or rigger rework.
When you have it in hand look for signs of extra stitch holes around the collar, as that may be an indication of a depot reworked or rigger reworked collar .

Harris_HTM

That's a great jacket man, congratulations. If it is of any help: last summer I found an Alpha Replica Series B-15D(mod), wool lining, etc. A deadstock item, literally a new jacket. As it was probably stored in some sort of warehouse it smelled a bit, so I brought it to my dry-cleaner. What I got back was a shrunk jacket, at least a size too small. I then washed it myself with Woolite in a basin (no washing machine) and stretched, I got back some of the missing inches in length... If you are careful while washing it then I guess you won't have an issue with it.

bazzer

It's a lovely jacket how's the fit

dry cleaning it will effect the decal

As b-man2 and Harris HTM states you can hand wash them safely

however as the inner padding is wool use wool lite or shampoo not hot water warm

I have used washing up liquid soak for stubborn stains

no conditioner as this will cause the wool to clump

If you let it soak the wool will lose its shape don't worry it's easy to get back in shape

Lay the jacket flat on towles and pull the jacket into shape while wet use a wood coat hanger to pull against then allow to drip dry in a well ventilated space

you can unshink a jacket using this method

Do not ring out the water

From experience do not put in air cupboard as this drys out the wool to quickly

Wool has scales like human hair which if you dry out or ring out will lock out mositer of the wool which in turn leads to it shrinking

Baz

Last edited:

bazelot

Thanks guys, I should receive it on Thursday and hopefully have it take a bath the very same day :)

Flightengineer

Incredible luck to find this jacket in good condition.
I'm also against dry cleaning. A good friend of mine lost 2 nice N3B after dry cleaning.
I washed one of the mine old MA-1s in the machine in the "Wool" mode and everything was OK. But this is a very nervous process ... the result may not always be the same.
I'm for gentle washing by hand.

bazelot

I will stay away from dry cleaning and wash it by hand. I will let it soak a bit before gently scrubbing it.

917_k

Lovely jacket. I’ve got a B-15D that’s been modified but doesn’t have the ‘mod’ label, so I’m sure some of these must have been done and just never labelled. The removal of the collar isn’t an easy job and I just can’t see why this would be done by anyone other than the airforce, when ‘civilians’ could easily acquire MA-1s, L-2s etc if a collarless jacket was desired.

Here’s mine:

B8E2C689-9663-4390-ABB2-3A55F5E57CF4.jpeg

Dany McDonald

I will stay away from dry cleaning and wash it by hand. I will let it soak a bit before gently scrubbing it.

Nice find and the modified Label wasn't always applied... You will find transition B-15 without it, especially later contracts like D's ...
I have a similar challenge (remove stains) with a N-3B, please post images of your endeavor.
I did clean a couple of B-15C in the machine at the softest cycle with success.

Thanx,

D

bazelot

Nice find and the modified Label wasn't always applied... You will find transition B-15 without it, especially later contracts like D's ...
I have a similar challenge (remove stains) with a N-3B, please post images of your endeavor.
I did clean a couple of B-15C in the machine at the softest cycle with success.

Thanx,

D

I may try to put it in the washing machine after softening up the really dirty stains around the collar. Did you put it with other clothes or by itself in the washer? I am mostly concerned with damaging the knitted parts

bazzer

It looks like grease stain washing up liquid soak it and work at it with soft toothbrush
if that does not move it try lemon juice salt mixture and allow to sock in the rises with warm water
Baz

Dany McDonald

Inside-out and by itself at hand-wash cycle, cold water with a mild detergent.

For your stain, go gentle to avoid a spot clean burn... If the nylon is too clean (after) you will end-up with a ring. I would also avoid a brush and try Borax with mild water and go slow. It's better to do it in multiple passes, more control.

Beside my Buzz N-3B that has a deep stain, I am eying an original Reed N-3 on ebay...very salty, so please share your results! I love N-3 parkas.

Just my two cents...

thanx,
D