• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ORIGINAL AERO A2 40-3785-P

Roughwear

This is a really nice addition to my collection. This 1940 contract was a very small one compared to wartime contracts and I have only ever seen pictures of two others, one on JC's flight jacket CD and the other on the Aero Leather (Scotland) website. So when this one came up for sale recently I decided to have a shot at it and was surprised that it went for less than two GW repros!

It has features not found on wartime Aeros-the collar stand, nipple snaps (wartime ones have ring snaps) and the late '30s chunky Talon zip. It is remarkably similar to the 1939 Werber.

As you can see the jacket is a a size 44 and it's 100% original. It was originally russet but was re-sprayed seal brown during the war before being issued to E.J. Cichon who flew with the 2nd Combat Cargo Squadron in the CBI theatre. I love the embroidered patch.

I have fixed the 6" seam separation on the right sleeve by turning the sleeve inside out, unpicking the lining stitching (this was the final seam which was closed from the outside when the jacket was finished) and carefully machine stitching the leather seams together, before stitching up the lining. A few moth nips on the knits have been darned and the lining at the collar has been repaired.

Unfortunately you will have to wait for "wearing" pics as my son is away today, but it is a very comfortable fit. If you are going to Flying Legends next month I may well wear this beauty there! Here are the pics.

026-27.jpg

044-6.jpg

041-9.jpg

028-16.jpg

029-15.jpg

030-13.jpg

032-11.jpg

033-16.jpg

034-13.jpg

036-11.jpg

037-8.jpg

038-10.jpg

039-9.jpg

043-8.jpg

Burnsie

Wow - thanks for the fantastic pics of a fantastic jacket - you must be quite pleased. Congrats!

blethook

Interesting to see how smooth the leather pieces making up the pockets remain...

Very nice jacket indeed!

Jason

That is magnificent - both the rare Aero in such fine condition, but what really caught my eye is that embroidered patch - its simply superb! If theatre made, it was done by someone who had skill & pride in his or her needlework. Perhaps it was made by E.J's sweetheart back home?

Roughwear

Edward J Cichon enlisted on 29th October 1942 at Hartford, Connecticut. He was born in 1916 and as a married man perhaps his wife emboidered the patch. Jason it really is a lovely patch.

nogbat

yes being a repro man, ime wearing the new elc rw in time worn hide not a fan of timeworn usualy but this is very good, looking forward to meeting some othe forumites for a gos.. :cool: .

greyhound52

Great jacket. I have the same patch on my original B-15B mod. The guy who owned this flew cargo missions out of Japan to Korea during the Korean War. He was also a POW shot down in 1944 over Japan.

b_15bfrt1.jpg

johnwayne

There's no stopping you Andrew is there? Hmm..... 2 Goodwear's eh? Lovely jacket though.
Does that mean we'll see something off loaded or was that your recent 'sells' which paid for this? You know I'm a 44 so quite envious and look forward to seeing it at FL next month!!
Cheers
Wayne

johnwayne

"Does that mean we'll see something off loaded" - should have looked at what you were selling first in the relevent section!!!!
Cheers
Wayne

Roughwear

johnwayne said:
There's no stopping you Andrew is there? Hmm..... 2 Goodwear's eh? Lovely jacket though.
Does that mean we'll see something off loaded or was that your recent 'sells' which paid for this? You know I'm a 44 so quite envious and look forward to seeing it at FL next month!!
Cheers
Wayne

You know how it is Wayne. There is nothing for weeks then several come up in a short space of time! Yes I hope to see you at Duxford in three weeks time. I'm there on the sunday this year.