• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh dear, are we becoming RELEVANT???

Smithy

Gosh. And just when I'd dug my waxed cotton Barbour out to look all "country" (and keep dry in these parts) I see I've just managed to dodged a trend. Close shave that.

Yes but you do know that the horsey-type, country gent chap look is going to be next after the flying jacket thing Flashy.

Yourself and poor old Steve are going to be mortified by trips down to the local pub which will be stuffed to the gunwales with pubescent youths from the city in waxed jacket knockoffs!

Smithy

I swear I could hear the gasps in some quarters when Clapton got his mitts on Cordings but the company has done ok offering much the same as ever. Traditional style is no bad thing, what goes around comes around and all that.

Joking aside I think in this day and age Steve there's less nonsense and snobbishness about "casual" things like Tattersall shirts, cord, moleskins, etc.

I live in Tattersalls and cords over the cooler months. I swore I wouldn't when I was a teenager and looked at my Dad, and uncles and grandad. But now I'm over 50, well the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree ;-)

entertainment

It will be interesting to see. it seems that leather jackets are rather unpopular in my part of the US unless Western inspired. What has really taken off in the past few years is waxed canvas, I think due to the popularity of Yellowstone and The Last of Us. Frankly, I am a HUGE fan of waxed canvas. Perhaps its one thread.
Come on. Beth loves a shearling! (Not disagreeing. Currently watching 1923.)

Walt3r

IMG_9425.png

tibor

Looks like the Gap bought them in '83 and I can date some of my purchases to around '85 thru '89 -- so they didn't turn to their current line of fashion over night.

I remember one favorite shirt was a heavy, bleached cotton, long-sleeved number with a thin, tan pinstripe that was (supposedly) inspired by mattress ticking.

The pants I wore with it were a medium brown brushed cotton with unique dual front pockets. A very 30s or 40s cut to them with cuffed legs (but I could have had that done myself).

Don't ask me how I remember these things. :p
Agree Chandler… I still have at least one (maybe two) of those mattress ticking shirts that I’ve kept over the years.

Chandler

Agree Chandler… I still have at least one (maybe two) of those mattress ticking shirts that I’ve kept over the years.
Nice! I wore through the elbows of mine and finally let it go. Snap a pic if you can.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Nice! I wore through the elbos of mine and finally let it go. Snap a pic if you can.
Chandler
Check out this link

Chandler

Chandler
Check out this link

Interesting that it has a screened label -- not sure they were doing that in the '50s.

Not a bad price, but that hole in the sleeve?

B-Man2

Interesting that it has a screened label -- not sure they were doing that in the '50s.

Not a bad price, but that hole in the sleeve?
Actually I wasn’t talking about that shirt .
If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you’ll see several shirts along the way that might peak your interest :)

Chandler

Actually I wasn’t talking about that shirt .
If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you’ll see several shirts along the way that might peak your interest :)
Actually, I did see those too -- thanks, I'm going to check them out later.