• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh dear, are we becoming RELEVANT???

B-Man2

Ohhhhh!!
You guys are killin me ………
IMG_5220.gif
;)

Micawber

How can you be so sure? :oops:

There was actually one spotted one town over from me in early summer. :oops:

It was spotted again about 2 towns north, heading toward Wisconsin.

People were putting up goal posts in their backyards to scare it away. ;)

B-dump, bump.

Grab mine too, Steve. :p

I bet they get tired of all that goal post moving...

Ta dum tsshhh.

Smithy

Flying jackets go through cycles where the mainstream fashion boffins (or whatever they're called) get inspired by them and there's a short period where they're all the rage and you see them in the big chain stores. There was a big one in Europe and Oz back in 2008 and 2009 with A-1 and A-2 inspired monstrosities.

It's happening here now too, lots of (especially) teenage and 20-something girls running around in very approximate interpretations of B-3 jackets. H&M and Cubus at the very least here have them.

Funnily enough I walked past some teenager girl who was wearing one at the shops yesterday when I had on my ELC Irvin, hilariously she gave me a look up and down pretty much saying, "Where the fuck did that old fart get that one, it's cooler than mine??!!"

I gave her a wink and a smile which completely threw her off, as she went bright red and buggered off toot sweet in the opposite direction.

ELC 1. Shitty Mall Jacket 0.

Chandler

I've been seeing ads and articles on my news feed for these jackets for a while (yeah, Android tracks your searches -- if not very specifically), but I haven't seen many in "the wild."

Winter's coming, though. Might have to try on the old Avirex B-3 to blend in. ;)

CBI

It will be interesting to see. it seems that leather jackets are rather unpopular in my part of the US unless Western inspired. What has really taken off in the past few years is waxed canvas, I think due to the popularity of Yellowstone and The Last of Us. Frankly, I am a HUGE fan of waxed canvas. Perhaps its one thread.

Otter

I remember walking down a street near Glasgow Uni, wearing my Aero A2 that I had patched with the layered leather Nationalist Chinese blood chit on the back. I had the feeling I was being followed and glanced back to find a Chinese student lassie following me, trying to read what is said on my back !

warguy

Jumping back to the Banana Rpublic store of the 80’s, those were very cool stores and catalogues ( I know I am dating myself) and interest in them (and their wares) seems to be making a come back. If you have a few minutes on your hands, type Safari clothing, or bush jackets, or vintage Banana Republic into your Pinterest and you will see some interesting reading. The old Banana Republic stores used to have mock up safari camps in them, with tan canvas tents, or sometimes a fake jungle or a vintage jeep parked near the entrance, etc. Their catalogues have become quite collectible. I have read that there is some interest growing in “experience” shopping, where there is a customer base now growing weary of ordering everything online and is looking for the ability of walking into a store and experiencing something special. Some say the types of stores like the old Banana Republic might see a resurgence. Who knows, all that is above my pay grade, but those old stores, their catalogues and some of the items they carried sure left a lasting impression on me. I still have a really cool leather and canvas brief bag they produced. It looks a lot like an English Officers WWI mussette bag. I love tan canvas and British tan leather, makes me weak in the knees. I for one agree with some assertions that flight jackets are getting popular again, and I think Masters of the Air is going to provide some tailwind. Just my opinion.

Last edited: