• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh dear, are we becoming RELEVANT???

mulceber

A couple hundred cheaper than an Eastman. So…who’s gonna be the first to buy? :p

Saint-ex

When I think Good Wear is expensive I go to Chapal website.
And JC’s jacket seems cheap !

1699362333175.png

Chandler

the BR isn't bad looking for an inspired jacket. BR here NOT meaning Buzz Rickson. Does anyone remember Banana Republic when their stores were safari/jungle themed and half their stock was military surplus? Those were cool stores!!!
I had some pants and shirts from BR... sorry, Banana Republic, that were very nice and in a "vintage" sort of theme. I don't see anything like that anymore, unfortunately.

coolhandluke

I won't knock Banana Republic, since I own (and really like) quite a few of their chambray shirts, sweatshirts, and sweaters, but they definitely love their "military inspired" mall jackets. I've only seen the G1 below in person and it was even more atrocious than it appears in photos.

P0.jpg

s-l400-2.jpg

https___bananarepublic.gap.com_webcontent_0029_507_903_cn29507903.jpg_large.jpg

cn52353462.jpg

mulceber

Just to clarify, I'm not knocking Banana Republic specifically - come to think, I've heard those stories as well about the time when they carried some cool stuff. Seeing a (pretty clearly) B-3 inspired jacket on a mainstream mall store website just a couple months before Masters of the Air releases just makes me suspect that fast fashion might be about to turn its gaze our way.

Imagine walking down the street in February wearing your Eastman B-3 that you've had for god-knows how long, since back when their prices were somewhat reasonable, and having someone stop you on the street and say...

"Nice B-3, but what happened to the second pocket?"

"Second pocket?" you say, somewhat perplexed. "B-3s don't have a second pocket."

At which point, the person you're talking to smugly pulls out his phone, shows you the jacket on the Banana Republic website, informs you (incorrectly) that they made the jackets for Masters of the Air, and proudly adds that he has one at home.

Now I'm not saying that will happen, but... ;)

ludospeed

A couple hundred cheaper than an Eastman. So…who’s gonna be the first to buy? :p
2 pockets = double price.

Chandler

Banana Republic was very cool once… selling warehouse finds and military surplus, and stuff inspired by same. Then The Gap bought them and they decided they were upscale Gap. The original owners had a great idea but it wasn’t maintained after the acquisition.
Looks like the Gap bought them in '83 and I can date some of my purchases to around '85 thru '89 -- so they didn't turn to their current line of fashion over night.

I remember one favorite shirt was a heavy, bleached cotton, long-sleeved number with a thin, tan pinstripe that was (supposedly) inspired by mattress ticking.

The pants I wore with it were a medium brown brushed cotton with unique dual front pockets. A very 30s or 40s cut to them with cuffed legs (but I could have had that done myself).

Don't ask me how I remember these things. :p

Last edited:

entertainment

Looks like the Gap bought them in '83 and I can date some of my purchases to around '85 thru '89 -- so they didn't turn to their current line of fashion over night.

I remember one favorite shirt was a heavy, bleached cotton, long-sleeved number with a thin, tan pinstripe that was (supposedly) inspired by mattress ticking.

The pants I wore with it were a medium brown brushed cotton with unique dual front pockets. A very 30s or 40s cut to them with cuffed legs (but I could have had that done myself).

Don't ask me how I remember these things. :p
I seem to remember them going very designer-y in the early to mid 90s. They started copying some of the high fashion brands in that era. As in reproductions of actual items by designers.

Chandler

Don't worry Steve, I don't think any of us are going to be attacked by a bear. ;)
How can you be so sure? :oops:

There was actually one spotted one town over from me in early summer. :oops:

It was spotted again about 2 towns north, heading toward Wisconsin.

People were putting up goal posts in their backyards to scare it away. ;)

B-dump, bump.

Grab mine too, Steve. :p