• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NO NEGATIVE OR NEUTRAL FEEDBACK TO BUYERS ?"><ik()#@%@!?v#@#

A

Anonymous

WHAT HAPPENS IF THEY DON'T PAY, DOES EBAY PAY THE SELLERS FEES, WHAT A BUNCH OF BULLSH*TT.

asiamiles

MarkP40 said:
WHAT HAPPENS IF THEY DON'T PAY, DOES EBAY PAY THE SELLERS FEES, WHAT A BUNCH OF BULLSHITT.

Yes, sort-of. You get your final-value fee credited, and you get refunded your relisting fee.

I think the issue of not being able to leave negative fb doesn't affect the problem of non-payers so much as they will get a strike (and three strikes and they're out!), but more those who pay and then complain or create a fuss over something...even if they the seller has done no wrong the buyer can say something like "I want a partial refund or I'll leave you negative feedback" and all you can do is accept the neg.

I really, really don't understand it; feedback for a seller can be fairly important (it's a guide for buyers), but for a buyer it's a relatively minor thing...it's very very rare someone will refuse to sell something to someone because they have a few neg's, because, after all, a seller wants to sell.

A

Anonymous

Sorry I will not sell to someone under a 98 feedback as a seller I will not go thru to BS of not getting paid. Going forward if I have problems with a buyer I will give positive feedback but under description I will blast them .

asiamiles

MarkP40 said:
Sorry I will not sell to someone under a 98 feedback as a seller I will not go thru to BS of not getting paid. Going forward if I have problems with a buyer I will give positive feedback but under description I will blast them .

Who reads buyers' feedback? Someone bids at the last minute on an item and wins your auction; you can't check their fb and cancel their bid. It's all meaningless. I very rarely even look at the fb of any of my buyers; the only reason I would do so would be to check what else they've been buying (eg. someone buys a John Wayne poster; I can see from their fb that they buy a lot of Wayne items) in case I might have something else I can sell to them.

A

Anonymous

I stipulate they must contact me before bidding if under 98 percent.

asiamiles

MarkP40 said:

I was actually addressing your proposal of leaving positive fb with neg comments in the future. But now presumably you're going to have to sell to anyone because there won't be buyers with negative feedback (unless they sell stuff as well), and anyway they can ignore your instructions and bid anyway? If you then refuse to sell an item they've won. they just leave you negative fb and you can't do anything about it! It seems to me eBay just haven't thought this one through and I wouldn't be suprised if we see another change in the fb structure in the future.

taikonaut

MarkP40 said:

Hmmm, that would rule me out of your auction. I have a few historical neg due mainly because seller refuse to sell or misrepresent so I rightly neg them and they neg me back.

spitfire

I have just this minute,for the first time,had the official pop up message from ebay saying ( as a buyer ) telling me about this.here is what ebay said:

'' Buyers,you can no longer receive negative or neutral feedback from sellers.you should leave honest and accurate feedback without the fear of receiving negative and neutral ratings ''.

I bought a coastal command irvin jacket,that is literally falling to bits,and is outside now,airing to get rid of the strong smell of mustiness.I left positive feedback,as it was exactly as described and it arrived within one day of posting.
In the past,if i had left negative feedback,for blatant damaged goods ( glass oil lamps with old deep cracks that cause leaks ),i would not have the 100% feedback i have now,and because of other items like that,i probably would not be able to buy jackets from members of this forum,as i would have been left negative feedback in return.In that way,the new way is good for all us buyers.BUT,if i ever want to sell something in the future....I know i am at a serious disadvantage using ebay.It's a typical double edged sword scenario for all of us.
As mainly a buyer at present,i felt the small,ugly very brief pop up window informing me of the changes,pretty cold,heartless and insulting.This lack of choice,justice and freedom for the sellers,is being forced upon me.It is as if it was at the bottom of the lord kitchener poster,saying: BEWARE: THEY ARE SINNERS... THIS COULD BE YOU... TAKE HEED!!!
I feel we are all being dragged back into the dickensian period,when children were beaten daily to instil a desired amount of discipline in to them,because the the powers that be knew what was best for them all.

tamoko

I have 2 neg feedback from sellers. They did not ship items and kept shipping costs. so i lost money, both send back neg feedback like i did not pay for items ! and both ar POWER seller !
eBay strategy is bullshit, eBay keeps any seller because it makes profit from sale fees.
If you sell million shit and have thousand negative you have nice POSITIVE scores percentage. When the seller steels my money i put negative feedback and i get one negative, this is really absolutely stupid principle.

asiamiles

Well, it seems the new system is already having an effect. Someone bought an item off me more than a month ago and I shipped it to his registered eBay address. Now he has opened a Paypal dispute not because the item has not been received (he told me it has) but because he claims he requested the item be sent to a different address, the one he has registered with Paypal; on the payment acknowledgement e-mail from Paypal there was no address at all, nor any message. He wants me to pay for the shipping of the item from the address it was sent to (seemingly his parents') to his new one.

He is obviously making this claim because he now has nothing to lose; there is no way I warn other sellers he is a troublesome person. What a ridiculous situation. And now there's nothing to prevent him or others doing the same or similar.

Hawkeye

As sellers we can not leave a red negative sign, but can we not leave a negative message in the message box when we leave the mandatory positive feedback?

asiamiles

Hawkeye said:
As sellers we can not leave a red negative sign, but can we not leave a negative message in the message box when we leave the mandatory positive feedback?
Yes, but will anyone notice? Or maybe this way of leaving negative fb will become common practice and people will start reading/checking positives?

I have reported his actions to eBay but I guess that will have no effect. If, as they seemingly always do, Paypal refund him, I can make a claim that I've been defrauded, but it all seems so absurd for a $20 item. Any normal person would surely just request his parents fwd the package to him (from the US to Canada); maybe I shall write to them saying their son is nothing short of a petty criminal and that the item sitting there is essentially stolen goods.

Willy McCoy

eBay is a buyers market. No, I didn't make that up. While I do have empathy for the sellers I have to ask myself why has this change occurred? Could it be that the majority of sellers had a tendency to hold the buyers hostage with the feedback thing? Through the mis-use of this tactic the majority of sellers have really screwed the few sellers that didn't. Sellers will have to be more communicative and solutions based. Inspection of the item, an accurate item description, offering only trackable shipping options, a promptness in answering a buyers concerns gladly, and learning how to pack an item securely. Accountability. Kind of like how one would expect a business to conduct itself. I'm not looking to make anyone unhappy with this post as much as I am glad to talk to the sellers here to find out the other side of the story. If I pay promptly for an item and receive misrepresented junk, and am getting no answer from the seller, no longer will I have to shrink away from the keyboard and leave a positive thus setting up the next buyer for a surprise. Very liberating. I do read feedback.

A

Anonymous

Hawkeye said:
I think Ebay will delete a negative comment left when the buyer complains, wait and see.

asiamiles

Re: NO NEGATIVE OR NEUTRAL FEEDBACK TO BUYERS ?"

Willy McCoy said:
Could it be that the majority of sellers had a tendency to hold the buyers hostage with the feedback thing? Through the mis-use of this tactic the majority of sellers have really screwed the few sellers that didn't. Sellers will have to be more communicative and solutions based. Inspection of the item, an accurate item description, offering only trackable shipping options, a promptness in answering a buyers concerns gladly, and learning how to pack an item securely. Accountability. Kind of like how one would expect a business to conduct itself. I'm not looking to make anyone unhappy with this post as much as I am glad to talk to the sellers here to find out the other side of the story.

Once I had received my first negative it never bothered me again so I wasn't bothered about getting reciprocal negative feedback; if you're doing plenty of trade (either buying or selling) you're bound to come across some bad apples, so I always considered the odd negative (I think I've had 9 in 9 years...I have over 2000 positives) par for the course and have always left negative when justified.

The problem is most buyers don't want trackable shipping, they want the cheapest! If I only offered trackable shipping the price would deter people from bidding. Of course, as it is I'm at the mercy of the buyer. Oddly, Paypal doesn't really protect the buyer from misrepresented items (which I think is a far greater problem than the non-arrival of goods) as they have to pay the return shipping to the seller, which in the case of international transactions would usually probably be more expensive than it was worth. Perhaps the feedback change will work for the better in such a case.

But the situation we have now is not that the seller is more accountable but rather open to be ripped-off any which way. Buyers can just say or claim anything and Paypal just says "Yes, Sir!"

I've just sold a couple of items to someone in Canada, which I think run the risk of being confiscated by Customs as I know they can be very strict over there. The buyer paid for the cheapest shipping before I even had chance to invoice him. Even if he says he will accept the responsibility/loss if they do get confiscated, he may have a change of heart and go ahead and claim anyway and I'm screwed. Do I insist he pay more than double the amount for trackable shipping? He could then leave me negative feedback for being unreasonable and unwilling to ship using a cheaper method!

Willy McCoy

Good questions. Put a statement in your description that If someone from outside the US wants to bid on your auction you'll not be responsible for confiscated items if the buyer doesn't want track-able shipping, or better yet foriegn buyers MUST purchase insured/track-able shipping. I suspect that you do not sell junk and therefore do not attract shoddy buyers. Look at the buyers feedback to ascertain if they are assholes or whiners. If suspicious cancel the bid. There are a lot of creative solutions for your concerns.

hacker

Willy McCoy said:
Good questions. Put a statement in your description that If someone from outside the US wants to bid on your auction you'll not be responsible for confiscated items if the buyer doesn't want track-able shipping, or better yet foriegn buyers MUST purchase insured/track-able shipping. I suspect that you do not sell junk and therefore do not attract shoddy buyers. Look at the buyers feedback to ascertain if they are assholes or whiners. If suspicious cancel the bid. There are a lot of creative solutions for your concerns.

They may sound good on paper, but often do not work. Of the last few jackets I sold on eBay, most went to overseas buyers, no doubt because of the weak US dollar. Despite stating clearly that trackable insured shipping was required, halve the winners would not pay that amount. As to canceling a bid, most winners on jackets are snippers, so that will never work....... Frankly many of the reasons discussed, and eBay's " screw the seller" mentality is why I very rarely sell on eBay any longer. The new feedback system is so flawed in design, you can only wonder how long they will leave it in its new state.

Hacker

A

Anonymous

So there is no way to weed out bad or dishonest buyers. They will all have 100% ratings because no negative feedback, how can sellers protect themselves ?

asiamiles

They may sound good on paper, but often do not work
Hacker's 100% correct. There's lots of things you can suggest that make perfect sense in theory and, that would seem to any logical person, a good way to do things, but they are simply impossible to put into practice. As things stand, once a bidder wins an auction (something you can only prevent if you have blocked them after a previous bad experience), he literally has the seller over a barrel. I have to say, that a large % of buyers are no problem at all and I get a lot of regulars/returners which I'm always thankful of because then you don't have that seed of doubt.

So there is no way to weed out bad or dishonest buyers. They will all have 100% ratings because no negative feedback, how can sellers protect themselves ?
It's an interesting point. What's the value of positive feedback if that's all a seller can give to a buyer? It becomes meaningless