• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice period photos of A-2's

Edward

crew of the 379th Bomb Group with a B-17 Flying Fortress (serial number43-37932) nicknamed "Spratt-O-Liner"
media-40588.png

Edward

Lt. Donald E Lady and crew on the mission to Montbartier France on June 25th 1944
media-40593.png

Following graduation from Gettysburg College in 1940, Donald was called to active duty in September 1941. Initially a commissioned officer in the Quartermaster Corps, he entered flight training and upon completion was assigned as a B-17 command pilot. He served in the 8th Air Force at RAF Glatton, England, where he completed 40 missions (300 combat flight hours) over Europe. He was awarded Distinguished Flying Cross and six air medals. Donald retired as a Lt. Colonel from the Air Force Reserves in 1968

Dom

88196512-2E71-45E6-9B2E-8A2399623523.jpeg

Here is a Crew photo from an A-2 Grouping that I had about 12 years ago. I had the Pilots full patched A-2, Mae West, Oxy Mask, Log books, Instrument card, several original photos of him wearing the jacket....The jacket was awesome and it had a leather blood chit on the back along with all the other layered patches. Out of around 25 original painted jackets I had this one grouping sold for the most when I let it go.

Carl

Lt R C Bacher Navigator 491st BG , the first photo was amongst a grouping I have managed to acquire .
The second photo was kindly sent to me by the daughter of the Pilot of Bachers aircraft .
The second photo we know has to be after October 44 as he made 2 successful bailouts in a very short space of time .
His Catterpillar Club cards show the dates of the bailouts which are part of the grouping , I also have his Nav map showing the exact position of both bail outs amongst lots of other stuff from him .
20191114_113302.jpg
FB_IMG_1573650617794.jpg
received_380732909139062.jpeg

Carl

So cool to see! Thanks for posting Carl.
Does Bacher's A-2 still exist?
I have no idea Grant :( , from what I have learnt so far, the whole of his gear was sold off at an estate sale .
The guy I got this from tried to save as much as he could possibly could !
The grouping I have has no uniforms but the paperwork that is included is just as important for such a short lived BG .
Wish there was a slot I could post it all on here to show .

Grant

Me too! It’d be so cool to see.
My biggest regret was not getting audio recordings of vet’s telling me the history their jackets saw. I remember one cat telling me he had the sleeve knits replaced in the south of France as their tactical B-26 BS moved from Italy north with the front lines. i’ll NEVER replace the knits on that jac, even tho they’re mismatched! To me these stories are priceless.

Edward

"Capt. Walter Stewart, Salt Lake City, Utah, pilot of the Consolidated B-24 'Liberator' Bomber, 'Bomerang' which has completed 53 missions in the European Theatre of operations, receives a cake from Miss Rachel Homer, American Red Cross worker, prior to departure to the United States. At the right is Lt Col George S Brown Jr an officer at the Liberators base at Hardwicke, England. 4 April 1944."
media-40651.jpeg

Edward

gangstas! throwin' up signs! :D

FRE_003744.jpg

A bomber crew of the 93rd Bomb Group with their B-24 Liberator nicknamed "Bomerang". A censor has obscured the insignia on the airmen's jackets. Passed as censored 5 Apr 1944.

Printed caption on reverse: '"Bomerang" 53-Mission Liberator Goes Home. Associated Press Photo Shows:- Crew of the Liberator "Bomerang" before leaving for U.S.

L-R squatting :
1st. Lt. William N. Ford of Jersey City, N.J. Navigator;
Sgt. George C. Ewald of Norfolk, Va. crew chief;
T/Sgt. Edwin D. Kleine of Long Island City, N.Y., radio operator.

L-R Standing :
1st Lt. George Everhart of Marysville, Kansas, Bombardier;
1st Lt. John V. Kemp of L.A.,;
T/Sgt. Alfred B. Bergkamp;
S/Sgt. William A. Apy;
S/Sgt. Michael L. Sullivan;
S/Sgt. Enos H. Lee, Jarrettville, Md. Gunner;
T/Sgt. Ralph L. Carroll of West Lake Road, Northeast, Pa., Engineer gunner;
M/Sgt. Charles A. Chambers of Mechanicsburg, Pa., crew chief.'

On reverse: The Associated Press Ltd. and US Army General Section Press & Censorship [Stamps]. Print No: 314795.