New USN M-422 Models at Headwind Mfg Co

Discussion in 'Reproduction manufacturers' started by Skyhawk, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Well-Known Member

We are excited to announce new contracts of the USN m-422 jacket available now at Headwind Mfg. We now have the most extensive range of USN WWII M-422 jackets available with 4 different contracts to choose from. All the jackets were patterned from the original jackets by Steve Sellers at Greatest Generation:

Gordon &Ferguson M422a Contract # NOs 416s
    (Note the beautiful color on the blonde mouton we have as an option)
    G&F-Collar-2.jpeg
    G&F-Collar.jpeg G&F-Front.jpeg G&F-label.jpg G&F-Pen-Pocket.jpg G&F-inside-2.jpg

Willis & Geiger M422a - Contract # NOs 290A
    m422a-1.JPG

m422a-11.JPG

H.L. Block M422a - Contract # NSx-5134
    Block-1a.jpg

Edmund Church M422a - Contract # NXs-5133
    P1020818.JPG

Regards,
    Jay

2. Steve27752

Steve27752 Well-Known Member

Very nice Jay, what do they retail for?

Skyhawk likes this.
  3. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

NICE!!!!

Skyhawk likes this.
  4. Cocker

Cocker Well-Known Member

Oooooh, nice!! Are you planning on doing a 55J14 G1 at some point?

Skyhawk likes this.
  5. Skyhawk

Thanks guys! They retail for $800. They are on this page in the 1940's section:
    http://www.headwindmfg.com/jackets.html

Yes Cocker, I am looking into a 55J14 Repro. Actually was working on it a bit yesterday. Those Conmar zips are a hard nut to crack. It would be a Headwind Jacket and not made by Steve if we do go ahead with the project. I used to have a 55J14 in my collection but not at this time, so procuring the jacket to make the pattern would be part of the process. Also the labels and a good source for the Conmar zips. I already have the knits, Rayon, and some nice goatskin for the jacket. Hard to say a timeframe but I do have 4 new models that will be released before we would even start putting the 55J14 together. So it would be off in the distant future.

Regards,
    Jay

6. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

Hey Jay,
    Great start of reproducing an iconic WWII jacket. Any chance you could tweak the pattern so when the jacket's zipped up there isn't as much of the zipper showing? That's one of the bugaboos that's always bothered me with most repro M-422a's.

Church.png

7. Skyhawk

That is a great point Grant. I will run that by Steve and see if he can make them with the leather extending over the zipper. Thanks for the suggestion. I am striving for authenticity with our jackets and I will do my best to make all the details match the original jackets.

Grant, Roughwear and Kennyz like this.
  8. Kennyz

Kennyz Active Member

Very cool, Jay!

Ken

Skyhawk likes this.
  9. Dover

Dover Active Member

Great look!

Skyhawk likes this.
  10. Garylafortuna

Garylafortuna Active Member

This is a great thing you are doing Jay, producing M-422A jackets from four different original wartime contractors. As many of us are only vaguely familiar with the subtle differences these jackets have from one another, do you think it would be an idea to offer on your site a paragraph or two, along with a few photos, illustrating the high points of each original manufacturer. For example: shape and color of collar, shape of wind flap, placement of inside pocket, shading of the leather , color of the lining, extras, etc. For a lot of people it is these features that make one maker's jacket m0re appealing than another's and result in a sale. I'm rambling again, forgive me.

11. Skyhawk

Thanks Gary! That's the idea for the finished listings but it is taking some time to get them complete. If you click on the picture of the jackets, it will take you to a separate page for each jacket. This page is where the detailed information will be. For now they are mostly pictures. We will be updating the listings and adding more images soon.

Regards,
    Jay

nkang likes this.
  12. Brettafett

Brettafett Well-Known Member

Exciting stuff. I have an HL Block on its way. Steve's been great collaborating with on this jacket.
    I did mention to him about the zip/ leather also, he is aware of it and will make adjustments based on customer request. I have also collected a number of pics of original M422/422as and the zipper 'exposure' does seem to vary somewhat....
    I seem to recall Steve mentioning that, "On the zip, exposing a little is a good thing. When the leather meets, that zipper pull will rub the edges & create wear over time."... Made sense.
    I'm sure that if you want the leather to meet, he can do that, no drama.
    Watch this space, will post pics and comments....

nkang, Skyhawk and Steve27752 like this.
  13. Ken at Aero Leather

Ken at Aero Leather Well-Known Member

This is even more common on civvy repros, I'm amazed how few firms "enclose" their zippers.
    OK, it is the most difficult part of a jacket of get right but there's a very good reason it was original done with the overlay of leather on each side meeting in the centre, It makes an excellent windbreak, otherwise the wind whistles throught the zipper teeth.
    Obviously less important if there is a windflap but visually far superior, not to mention the fact that zipper teeth are hardly the most attractive feature of a jacket

Grant, Pilot and Earloffunk like this.
  14. Garylafortuna

Garylafortuna Active Member

Case in point: take a look at the jacket Thomas is currently showing in the Moto/Utility section. The teeth on the main zipper are completely visible, but the pocket zippers are fully enclosed. This wide open zipper look is akin to a person with their pearly whites forever on display because they have no lips. Shocking.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Ken at Aero Leather likes this.
  15. Skyhawk

I have checked in with Steve and he can cover the zippers no problem. It was a choice to install them that way to prevent damage, it's not due to any kind of difficulty whatsoever in construction.

16. Ken at Aero Leather

Ken at Aero Leather Well-Known Member

laughing-dog.jpg

Dover and Skip like this.
  17. nkang

nkang Well-Known Member

That G&F jacket is stunning! Such beautiful leather!

Skyhawk likes this.
  18. Brettafett

Brettafett Well-Known Member

Sneak peak at an HL Block M422a, with my name on it!
    Headwind HL Block M422a 1.jpeg Headwind HL Block M422a 4.jpeg

nkang, Smithy, Greg Gale and 3 others like this.
  19. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Looking good Brett

20. ausreenactor

ausreenactor Well-Known Member

Impressive!