• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW TYPE B-3 REAL MCCOY MFG. CO.

MikeyB-17

That's not the B-3 giving you the shivers Mikey, it's all that standing around on clifftops in that appalling Cornish weather in only a Barbour. You've gone and caught yourself something ;)
You may have a point. Perhaps I should try other clothes as well as the Barbour. Wondered why I kept getting funny looks. ;)

Smithy

Purchased buy less than knowledgeable people who have limited knowledge about this hobby or people who have large disposable incomes. But … that’s what makes the economy go around .

There's also the cultural factor Burt. Many Japanese perceive the higher the price paid the higher the status and desirability. It's one of the reasons why some Japanese "luxury" brands charge well north of relevant overseas competition.

mulceber

There's also the cultural factor Burt. Many Japanese perceive the higher the price paid the higher the status and desirability. It's one of the reasons why some Japanese "luxury" brands charge well north of relevant overseas competition.
Yeah, it really is a different mindset. Most of us just want a very well-made garment that's as accurate to the originals as humanly possible. The Japanese seem to regard these companies as sorta being Gucci with a mid-century American aesthetic.

Smithy

Totally agree with you Tim . I think that they might be one of the groups with large disposable incomes as well .

Definitely. It's funny though, I remember talking about this years ago with a chap living in Japan. He said you could say to a Japanese fellow "I've got a GW, it's the most accurate" and the Japanese chap would reply "But mine cost so much more than yours."

B-Man2

Yeah, it really is a different mindset. Most of us just want a very well-made garment that's as accurate to the originals as humanly possible. The Japanese seem to regard these companies as sorta being Gucci with a mid-century American aesthetic.
All good talking points Jan and Tim. Let’s also not forget that they are buying up WWII originals, a lot of which are painted originals.
I’m guessing that in a very few years they will have some of the most inclusive WWII originals in the hands of private collectors and the US will have lost a lot of those historical artifacts.,

Smithy

All good talking points Jan and Tim. Let’s also not forget that they are buying up WWII originals, a lot of which are painted originals.
I’m guessing that in a very few years they will have some of the most inclusive WWII originals in the hands of private collectors there and the US will have lost a lot of those historical artifacts.,

Bit if a reversal from the old war adage, "To the victor go the spoils" ;)

The Japanese are fastidious and aggressive collectors. You name something of value and collectability and they'll be near the top of the list.

OperationCoffee

I used to work for Gibson guitars and there were a couple of Japanese guys in the custom shop who hand selected the best guitars for export to Japan. We got the leftovers. God knows what those guitars sold for in Japan.

Pa12

I used to work for Gibson guitars and there were a couple of Japanese guys in the custom shop who hand selected the best guitars for export to Japan. We got the leftovers. God knows what those guitars sold for in Japan.
Cool. I have a Gibson banjo.