• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Product - ELC Irvin 1944 pattern

Cliff

I disagree, I am sure the distressing is done after the jacket construction to allow the distressing, ie. the creases, the abrasive wear and the differing colour to flow through the jacket which appears to be evident on these Time Worn ELC jackets. To distress the skins before they were stiched together would result in unrelated wear from panel to panel and produce a "mall" jacket similar to those that were made in the 80's.

cheers
Cliff

Roughwear

Cliff is correct here. When I spoke to Gary about the Time worn process last year he said the finished jackets are given the worn look. This gives them "authentic"-looking wear which would not be possible to do so easily prior to construction.

As far as the matt finish is concerned, I own some originals with a similar matt finish and others with more shine.

Roughwear

I wonder what a nearly new Time worn 1944 ELC RAF jacket would sell for here or on Ebay? How much value will it retain? An original Irvin usually holds it value unless one pays well above the market price in the first place, but this is unknown territory for the new ELC jacket.

John Lever

Remember that the pound has devalued by about 30 % to other currencies, so it's not that much really for overseas buyers.

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Remember that the pound has devalued by about 30 % to other currencies, so it's not that much really for overseas buyers.

True John. I was thinking also of potential UK buyers on Ebay for example.

asiamiles

Falcon_52 said:
My theory is that Eastman is playing to the Japanese market. The Yen has been really, really strong for quite a while against the US Dollar and the British Pound.
No, Eastman can't really compete with the likes of RM and BR in Japan. Lewis Leathers, on the other hand, has a very strong presence.

Roughwear said:
Cliff is correct here. When I spoke to Gary about the Time worn process last year he said the finished jackets are given the worn look. This gives them "authentic"-looking wear which would not be possible to do so easily prior to construction.
It might be different for the sheepskin jackets, though I admit even when I originally typed it I thought it seemed unlikely. It just seemed the only explanation for not being able to sell them without the distressing. I mean if ELC makes up a bunch of jackets there's simply no reason why they can't simply choose to distress or not distress. Or is there?! Are the jackets that are to be distressed somehow different from the non-distressed ones?

John Lever

Miles,
Gary tells me that the Devon skins are very fatty, thick and tough and that the treatment makes them softer and more wearable. Mine will be un-distressed so may take some time to get used to.
The TW B-3 is also made from different skins to the regular broken finish version.

John Lever

Falcon_52 said:
John Lever said:
Mine will be un-distressed so may take some time to get used to.
Did Gary actually cave on doing a non-time worn jacket? :shock: That's fantastic!

Noel
I think cave in is the wrong term. I just reported to him the general feelings expressed here on the forum and that most of us would prefer not to have the time worn look. He has kindly offered to make one for me as a one off, but they may offer it generally as an alternative later.
Obviously I will post a review and may even try to get a loan on the TW version to give an objective comparison.

Here is an extract oh his most recent e-mail -
I've heard that some of the enthusiasts on the forums like the look of this model but some would prefer without TW. So I want to convey to you our reasoning - which I'm quite happy for you to pass on.

When developing this product our thoughts were that it is very much an enthusiasts jacket, and had the hardcore jacket heads predominently in mind. We decided to go with TW-only, as after appraising with and without, the TW was the garment that really turned the garment into something that looked so convincingly original - (IMO - don't forget I'm a jacket head too). The dull, dry look is intended, but of course the leather isn't really dry, that is just the outermost surface which has been affected that way - it's brand new and full of fat liquer in reality.

Another reason is that attempting to make what are otherwise very similar products different is quite difficult - the TW process was another detail that further differentiated it from the other 2 models. Whilst you guys all know what you're looking at, most of our customers only have a vague knowledge of flight jackets at best, and to them similar models just look the same. The TW process is incredibly popular generally, so this why we went that route.

We want to please customers, and with this product especially I did want to give the enthusiast jacket fraternity something special. In this regard (although it wont be advertised on the website at first), we will be happy to offer this garment in a non-TW version if customers so wish. If it proves to be substantially popular it will then be advertised as so. The price will be £650.00. The reduction for non-TW isn't the same as what we normally charge I know, but the margins on this product, believe it or not, are very slim hence the price. Since it can't be ordered via the website this way, customers will need to phone, fax or email their orders in (ideally phone or fax for security).

Hope that explains things and sounds reasonable, and again many thanks for the orders.

Best regards,
Gary

Andrew

Well that's an excellent reply. I'm looking forward to seeing the new UTW version. I don't mind time worn, but i'm not convinced about the dry look ageing.

These are time worn

DSC_00042-Copy.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

A

Anonymous

Gary's reply is another good indicator of ELC's great customer service.

Dave

Andrew

Here's a good shot to indicate real wear to an Irvin. I bought years ago ( thanks Bevan) and it belonged to an RNZAF Instructor, but what it shows so well is the varied wear patterns, particularly on the arms and the way it ages not just with creasing but with the gradual flaking of the polyacrylate- something that would be very difficult to emulate.

DSC_0009deletedbg.jpg

John Lever

I think it is impossible to create this type of wear on a new garment and make selling them economically viable.

Roughwear

This is great news from Gary about the non-TW 1944 Irvins. I still think the price is high and would rather have a decent original. Perhaps there will be a NTW jacket at Duxford in July. Now if John went and wore his there certainly would. ;) Might be a bit hot though, so John could wear his RW 27752 instead. :)

John Lever

Not very likely I'm afraid. I will count success when Gary makes me a Merino skin RAF. [only joking]
This could be a really great jacket, though as a Philistine I would prefer an equally shaggy collar.

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Not very likely I'm afraid. I will count success when Gary makes me a Merino skin RAF. [only joking]
This could be a really great jacket, though as a Philistine I would prefer an equally shaggy collar.

John, very few late war Irvin had a shaggy collar. They usually made of a close pile sheepskin. Most late war jackets appear to have been made from surplus Irvin trousers. That's why some are made from a close pile all over as early trousers were used and others had your favourite shaggy fleece from later war trousers.