• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Product - ELC Irvin 1944 pattern

pipvh

Devon fleece... I'd move heaven and earth to get one of these - and at that price I'll have to. The late pattern Irvins are my favourites and the wool is from my part of the country - in fact of the county, so I'm hooked. Shame it'll take me two or more years to save up for one... :?

Andrew

Crazy price again. That's getting up to the prices paid for a very wearable large sized original in excellent condition, with label, original zips, no damage.

It has the look in terms of pattern and it's very nice wool but the ageing of the skin looks dry and fake to me.

Falcon_52

Surely that has beautiful fleece. I wish that they had left the time worn effect as an option, though. Not only would it look better without the time worn but it would cost less too.

To me it seems that Eastman gets sooooo close on all of their RAF jackets but there's always something that keeps them from being right. Am I crazy?

Noel

Cliff

That skin looks as if its ready for some Pecards already !!!!! Maybe it looks better in the flesh. Will look forward to seeing it on their stand at Duxford in July.

cliff

havocpaul

I too am a big fan of late-war Irvins especially with the longer 'curly' fleece as theirs has, will check it out at Duxford.

Hawkeye

Now thats what I'm talkin about! I could do without the time-worn but I think its fantastic that they're trying something new with the shaggy body and close cropped collar.

Jason

I bet the hand-applied 'time worn' finish adds a fair amount to the cost; maybe with enough requests Gary can drop that as a 'standard' option?

If it didn't have that finish - it still looks too 'artificial' for my liking - it'd be love at first sight.

Roughwear

As I have already said on the other repro Irvin thread this latest offering is impressive. The fleece is similar to some originals but it does look a little dried out to me. I'm pleased to see a different label being used this time. Again the zips let it down and for nearly £700 you can buy a near mint original, which would have 65+ years of history. I notice John has fallen for it and I hope he will be pleased with it and I look forward to his reviews. John must be one of Gary's best customers. Bring on the next offering from Eastman! ;)

Tim P

they are upping their game nicely with this and the roughwear.. Pricing to me is prohibitive, not necessarily because I think it is not value but because it is above my budget however much value it offers.

ausreenactor

Andrew said:
Crazy price again. That's getting up to the prices paid for a very wearable large sized original in excellent condition, with label, original zips, no damage.

It has the look in terms of pattern and it's very nice wool but the ageing of the skin looks dry and fake to me.

I'm likeminded with regard to the finish. It looks waxy or pasty?? It has always puzzled me what the makers are trying to recreate. And the 1942 in a box slogan adds to the confusion. Are the jacket makers trying to make an item that is similar to what would have been issued during the war (1942 in a box) or similar to an original that has weathered 65 years of use and storage (1942 in a box, taken out, used, loved & savoured then put back in the 1942 box)?

Economics are driving these ELC finishes in my opinion. I think it just costs to much to apply the external finishes on the earlier lauded jackets to this ripper shearling?? IF I was ever going to pay the big (and getting bigger) bucks I would prefer the finish from older ELC offerings. Just my two cents..

Couchy

John Lever

ausreenactor said:
Andrew said:

I'm likeminded with regard to the finish. It looks waxy or pasty?? It has always puzzled me what the makers are trying to recreate. And the 1942 in a box slogan adds to the confusion. Are the jacket makers trying to make an item that is similar to what would have been issued during the war (1942 in a box) or similar to an original that has weathered 65 years of use and storage (1942 in a box, taken out, used, loved & savoured then put back in the 1942 box)?

Economics are driving these ELC finishes in my opinion. I think it just costs to much to apply the external finishes on the earlier lauded jackets to this ripper shearling?? IF I was ever going to pay the big (and getting bigger) bucks I would prefer the finish from older ELC offerings. Just my two cents..

Couchy

I still greatly prefer the older finish [ 20 - 25 years ] and materials used. This one does looking interesting though and I have asked Gary if he will do one less the time worn treatment but I already know the answer.

ausreenactor

Say Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!! Dare him..."You're scared, you wont do it??"

I live and breathe ELC but I am struggling to work out what they are doing.

Couchy

A

Anonymous

Well, I for one really like it. Reminds me of the original I had as a lad at Uni' in the early 80's. But then I do appreciate that I am in the minority in liking matter finished jackets. That's why I'm amazed you bought one John. Unless it was only to have a look in the flesh and then return it immediately ;)

I suppose one could actually do a little 'un-braking-in' so to speak. A reversal of what some of us do in artificially aging a jacket ...... :lol:

Now Couchy, get back to work on my hat mate !! ;)
** Edited to add "I see you have already Couchy. Looks fantastico :) Thanks a heap"
Dave

asiamiles

ausreenactor said:

I would say they are probably trying to meet the demands of the market. The opinions expressed on here (and like others, I love this jacket, it has real character, but don't much care for the time-worn finish) likely don't concur with sales reports. There must be a reason why ELC will not or cannot offer the jacket without the distressing...perhaps it's done prior to assembly?

A

Anonymous

asiamiles said:
ausreenactor said:

I would say they are probably trying to meet the demands of the market. The opinions expressed on here (and like others, I love this jacket, it has real character, but don't much care for the time-worn finish) likely don't concur with sales reports. There must be a reason why ELC will not or cannot offer the jacket without the distressing...perhaps it's done prior to assembly?

I totally agree. Regardless of the level of expertise on this forum, or our love of what each of us perceives as authentic, we are but a TINY fraction of the market these makers seek to satisfy. Even if you look at how many jackets we buy brand new from the makers / stockists between us each year, we don't equate to much. Only Good Wear can manage on the orders from this forum alone (although I do appreciate he does obviously take orders from elsewhere it would appear the majority come from forum members). ELC et al would go under in no time at all.

Dave

John Lever

ausreenactor said:
Say Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!! Dare him..."You're scared, you wont do it??"

Couchy
Got a result ....

Falcon_52

asiamiles said:

My theory is that Eastman is playing to the Japanese market. The Yen has been really, really strong for quite a while against the US Dollar and the British Pound. The 700 GBP price tag wouldn't hurt so much given the exchange rates.

I think you are right about the distressing; I think the pieces are distressed before being sewn together. That way there's less chance of damaging stitching. That's my two cents worth...

Noel