• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New ELC '50-Cal' A-2!

greyhound52

Swing,
Or you could give it to Bevan and have him wear it for a week. He seems to get more wear out of his jackets in one week then I do in six months.

havocpaul

I must be seeing different things then, Swing, looks plenty of grainy wear there in the pics especially that upper back area with plenty of scope for adding character as it gets worn. I'll be at Duxford to try one first-hand and will report back but from first looks it has the right stuff for sure.

TankBuster

I think it looks really nice. Pretty obvious that
it is a direct response to Chapmans jackets.
Looks like a moderately worn Aero!
Hey at least they are adding new products, and
not just sitting idle.

Swing

havocpaul said:
I must be seeing different things then, Swing, looks plenty of grainy wear there in the pics especially that upper back area with plenty of scope for adding character as it gets worn. I'll be at Duxford to try one first-hand and will report back but from first looks it has the right stuff for sure.

Only wear I see is on the pocket flap. The grain doesn't look that much different than their other steer jackets after being dunked in water and worn a little bit.

~Swing

Hawkeye

TankBuster said:
not just sitting idle.

I'd be really curious to see Eastmans sales numbers on their A-2s over the last year or so and see if Johns jackets have really made a dent in their sales. And selling a pre-distressed jacket? Half of the fun of getting a new jacket is breaking it in and watching the wear progress.

jacketimp

Hawkeye said:
TankBuster said:
not just sitting idle.

I'd be really curious to see Eastmans sales numbers on their A-2s over the last year or so and see if Johns jackets have really made a dent in their sales. And selling a pre-distressed jacket? Half of the fun of getting a new jacket is breaking it in and watching the wear progress.

aaaah david vs goliath

Curahee

I, for one am glad ELC has made an effort to better themselves. All thanks to JC cheers mate ;) Wasn't that what everybody wanted, the big players getting of their asses ? I wouldn't be surprised if there's more in the pipeline.

jacketimp

Hawkeye said:
TankBuster said:
not just sitting idle.

a small flame to set the repro industry ablaze??? are we talking market share?

Roughwear

Like Paul, I hope to examine this jacket at Flying legends. It does look impressive and I too wonder if ELC sales have suffered a little with GW on the scene.

A

Anonymous

A properly copied A-2 doesn't need to be aged, distressed or whatever- should look cool right from the start. If Eastman really wanted to make a better product why not start from scratch and fix everything that's wrong with their jackets- you know- the leather, the pattern, the details and the fussy perfection of the stitching and pattern pieces. Why not try COPYING a WW2 A-2? The only good thing about Eastmans IMO is their zippers, snaps and the thread they use...

jacketimp

i know how about requesting the sales figures from the respective makers.........that should be soooooooooo kool.....

T-Bolt

It is interesting that they apparently have two types of Crown chevron zippers. The earlier version with the smooth shoulder on the slider, and the later version with the ridge on top of the shoulder of the slider.

Ted

havocpaul

I knew I'd be starting something...didn't take long for the GW subject to intervene, I personally don't think it is a direct response to John's jackets, Eastman have been trying out new jackets for many years, in the last two years they have had several new contracts so this is a natural progression. Anyhow, competition is always good but it is quite apparent the latest craze is for GW jackets, no worries there, I am a proud owner of one too but there are more choices now for those who recognize quality. From what my p.c. screen was showing me I could see plenty of character in the leather, some prefer to do the ageing themselves either through natural wear or the hot-water treatment, it takes all sorts and that is good. I wish ELC well with this latest jacket.

jacketimp

havocpaul said:
I knew I'd be starting something...didn't take long for the GW subject to intervene, I personally don't think it is a direct response to John's jackets, Eastman have been trying out new jackets for many years, in the last two years they have had several new contracts so this is a natural progression. Anyhow, competition is always good but it is quite apparent the latest craze is for GW jackets, no worries there, I am a proud owner of one too but there are more choices now for those who recognize quality. From what my p.c. screen was showing me I could see plenty of character in the leather, some prefer to do the ageing themselves either through natural wear or the hot-water treatment, it takes all sorts and that is good. I wish ELC well with this latest jacket.

you just opened NOT a can of buzzing bees.......... BUT pandora's box........you tryin' to sow the whirlwind???

buzzthetower

Administrator
Well, it's not Pandora's box or a whirlwind...Paul's just letting people know about a new product. Eastman will be doing that, just as he says because that's what businesses do. I'm sure that Gary likes to experiment with different ideas and will always have something in the works that will lead to a new product. I'm sure if you asked him you'd find out that there's much more on his plate, and that is good for customers.

The steerhide looks good to me, and it does have obvious grain when new. It'll only become more intense with wear, which is great. I personally don't like totally smooth leather (though originals often have patches of smooth areas) so if I were looking for a jacket that had this kind of character, it would be good to see.

The Few and Real McCoys Japan do this every year, as it's their survival...offer something that the market hasn't gotten yet. Bevan's B-2 is a good example, as that's a truly superior product.

John

Chandler

rotenhahn said:
A properly copied A-2 doesn't need to be aged, distressed or whatever- should look cool right from the start.

That's exactly what I thought with my ELC Star... I wonder if the airmen of the AAC & AAF thought the same when issued their new jackets. Doubtful, since "cool" is what they expected in their composures, not their jackets.

Chandler

havocpaul

buzzthetower said:
Well, it's not Pandora's box or a whirlwind...Paul's just letting people know about a new product. Eastman will be doing that, just as he says because that's what businesses do. I'm sure that Gary likes to experiment with different ideas and will always have something in the works that will lead to a new product. I'm sure if you asked him you'd find out that there's much more on his plate, and that is good for customers.

The steerhide looks good to me, and it does have obvious grain when new. It'll only become more intense with wear, which is great. I personally don't like totally smooth leather (though originals often have patches of smooth areas) so if I were looking for a jacket that had this kind of character, it would be good to see.

The Few and Real McCoys Japan do this every year, as it's their survival...offer something that the market hasn't gotten yet. Bevan's B-2 is a good example, as that's a truly superior product.

John

Thank you for putting it in perspective John, I wasn't out to do anything but flag up a new jacket, from whoever is the manufacturer is a reason for some good cheer; as I said, choices in the market place are good and as a long-standing lover of jackets both original and repro I for one am always happy to support and enthuse when I see something new. The Doniger I got from you last year is one of the finest repros I have owned but that doesn't mean I dismiss other repros nor will I. In these times of global recession I wish all involved in this business continued success and thanks for offering a more cheerful option to all the doom and gloom, all power to the sewing machine!

John Lever

I think there is plenty of room for the likes of Eastman, Aero and the other big players and with JC who offers a totally different type of service. It's like top end mass produced cars versus small scale hand made models. They all have wheels and an engine, but there are other more important differences.