• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW EASTMAN PERRY SPORTSWEAR B-3

Roughwear

At Duxford today Gary Eastman had on display his first original maker B-3 since the RW redskin. It is a Perry Sportswear jacket from their first contract, 17808 which dates to Feb. 1941. The jacket is made from a redskin fleece for the front and sleeves and uses seal sheepskin for the two panel back and cuffs. The jacket has been given the Time Worn treatment and looks very nice indeed. The zip is repro Talon. Talon zips were used on this contract. The jacket will be launched shortly on the ELC website in the next few weeks and will retail for around £750. Marcel has taken some photos which I'm sure he will post shortly.

John Lever

Interesting. I have asked Gary several times about making a jacket like, this with no result .
Can't wait to see the photos, but the price !!!

ausreenactor

I am starting to wonder if it is the label makers who are the true masterminds these days. Mod the pattern a tad, a bit more seal, a little less russet and there you go...the next big thing!! Probably pay $2.00-$5.00 for the label too... ;)

Tim P

You are nothing but a cynic!!!!!! :)

However, I cant help but think you may well be right. Even if the jacket was sewn with specially sourced thread, it is unlikely to have been assembled from specifically sourced hides, like you say, make it duo tone from on hand components, add a label and a zip which, again, isnt such a deviation from the norm to send me into fits of joy and it is almost a case of , hey presto!!! If the Perry has a waitband that was 1/4 of an inch narrower or similar, that is unlikely to impact significantly on the overall look of the jacket.
I cant escape the selling blurb (which even avirex pile on thickly) to the effect that this and that meticulous research has gone into it - which I don't doubt- and we're passing on the cost of that research to the consumer because we have worked so hard.

I applaud however, efforts to continually offer more diverse products. I will always drool over Eastman products and if I come across as negative it is because of exasperation that their recent surge of upping their game has left their uber sexy products outside my budget by a mile.
I have been loyal to the Eastman product for years as a read back of many of my posts will show and made a lot of purchases when they were merely very good..
now they are excellent they have left me behind. Its the second hand market for me now... :(

That said, I cant wait to see pics.

ausreenactor

Tim P said:
You are nothing but a cynic!!!!!! :)

However, I cant help but think you may well be right.

I concede that great hides and the 'research' add to the value of a jacket, but in theory
the process of jacket making by the key players should be getting more refined now. I am
certain that JC has his ring hanging out, and the price of his jackets does not reflect what
he puts into them. On the other hand I am sure there is a mass of production(as opposed
to mass-production) at ELC despite the price. Like yourself, I lived and breathed Eastman
and had one of each Original Contract A-2, then sold them off to fund Nylons and Cloth
BRs in an effort to make a timeline of jackets, as opposed to the row of A-2s that all blended
into one another over time. It is almost like the housing market, if you did not get in early
with something to sell off to fund a newer one, you are priced out of the market.

Coopers will be $600 next? :roll:

And I think the last birthday turned me cranky...

Couchy

dujardin

here comes the photos i took in the ELC tent

Andrew, Gary.... and my wife; would she buy me a jacket??? :lol: :lol:

DSCF4163.jpg

the B-3

DSCF4162.jpg

DSCF4156.jpg

DSCF4153.jpg

DSCF4152.jpg

DSCF4151.jpg

the A-2 (already presented)

DSCF4155.jpg

DSCF4160.jpg

DSCF4158.jpg

the A-1

DSCF4154.jpg

next time, i will take more and better photos, i did'nt knew Andrew will give me the honor to present this new jacket.

i place the photos, but for comments; request Andrew

byebyeeeeeeeeeeee

marcel

John Lever

It looks good to me though the very long cuffs are a negative, great fleece colour. Though it's a 50 Cal. I see no wear on the collar straps. These could be burnished with old news paper.

Falcon_52

Thanks for the photos, Marcel. The Perry B-3 looks interesting but it's definitely not for me (plus the price is beyond my means). I completely agree about the time worn treatment - I just can't see why these jackets need any sort of treatment at all. These non-heavy spray or aniline finished jackets basically "time wear" themselves after a few months. For sure, that A-1 doesn't need it!

Noel

Roughwear

John, the cuffs on all the original Perry B-3s that I have owned are just like the ones on the new ELC repro. Over time they will break in and blend in with the rest of the jacket.

Roughwear

Now had John been at last weekend's Autumn air show he could have seen the B-3 in the flesh and placed his order then and there.

BTW. I'm still waiting to meet John at an air show. :)