• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Aces High Irvin

NW Carver

And a few of the 'Malta-Screwball Beurling' filming that we did this year...

photo-2.jpg

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo3.jpg

TOMG1401

Aside fro size this is a damn fine jacket, I wonder if instead of following the other Irvin repro makers it would be interesting to see copies of some of Roughwear and Andrews original Irvins, the ones with the pale yellow fleece, and thinner fleece, that was discussed here, the ones that don't look like your encased and have no freedom of movement. I am not saying the jacket isn't an excellent repro of an original but why not make the one no one else is making, maybe Andrew can re-post some of his previous Irvins. It would certainly be one I would buy as a contrast to my ELC BoB.

Andrew

Not sure if this was what you were referring to Tom, I only have three originals now, and it still looks like I'm encased in these, but at least the arms aren't bulky like ELC's. I can post some flats pics for comparison if needed. All three have dot zips of course. I did once own a two panel jacket with a beautifully thick (not shaggy) fleece that had original lightning zips.
The first is a preW War two panel
P5080167-Copy.jpg

The second is a Sz5 1941 Wareings, this pattern is probably the closest to Jon's creations (and the label was directly referenced from the one on this jacket)
P5090157-Copy.jpg

The third is probably a pre War IAC two panel, has a very light pile and is slightly longer so it's the one I wear when needed.
DSC_0466-Copy.jpg

Roughwear

TOMG1401 said:
Aside fro size this is a damn fine jacket, I wonder if instead of following the other Irvin repro makers it would be interesting to see copies of some of Roughwear and Andrews original Irvins, the ones with the pale yellow fleece, and thinner fleece, that was discussed here, the ones that don't look like your encased and have no freedom of movement. I am not saying the jacket isn't an excellent repro of an original but why not make the one no one else is making, maybe Andrew can re-post some of his previous Irvins. It would certainly be one I would buy as a contrast to my ELC BoB.

Here's a thread which shows several originals from my collection.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11013

TOMG1401

Andrew, those are exactly the jackets I was referencing. Andrew (Roughwear) you had posted several times a string of Irvins that fit my description, just not those

Roughwear

I'm not sure which ones you are referring to. There are pics of all my jackets in the Vintage section or on the FL.

TOMG1401

For those who don't know, on page 20 vintage section, Andrew has an incredible Irvin thread that has to be seen if you are a serious Irvin fan, nothing like it anywhere else

CryptoDave

So the temperature has finally dropped here (NJ) and I wore my Aces High Irvin the other day.

It was extremely warm and comfortable. Received several compliments from strangers commenting that it looks very warm. I'm quite sure they didn't recognize the historical significance of the jacket, but no problem, that's not why I purchased it.

Dave

Peter Graham

Andrew said:
Not sure if this was what you were referring to Tom, I only have three originals now, and it still looks like I'm encased in these, but at least the arms aren't bulky like ELC's. I can post some flats pics for comparison if needed. All three have dot zips of course. I did once own a two panel jacket with a beautifully thick (not shaggy) fleece that had original lightning zips.
The first is a preW War two panel
P5080167-Copy.jpg

The second is a Sz5 1941 Wareings, this pattern is probably the closest to Jon's creations (and the label was directly referenced from the one on this jacket)
P5090157-Copy.jpg

The third is probably a pre War IAC two panel, has a very light pile and is slightly longer so it's the one I wear when needed.
DSC_0466-Copy.jpg

Three of the nicest Irvin's I've seen. The third, saltiest one is a real beaut. Nice to see that you captured that damn Jerry tank too !

Roughwear

CryptoDave said:
So the temperature has finally dropped here (NJ) and I wore my Aces High Irvin the other day.

It was extremely warm and comfortable. Received several compliments from strangers commenting that it looks very warm. I'm quite sure they didn't recognize the historical significance of the jacket, but no problem, that's not why I purchased it.

Dave

Good for you! Is your jacket beginning to break in yet?

flyboy

CryptoDave said:

Dave

Good you finally got the right weather for it - I've been wearing mine every day since I got it. One of the few advantages living in Scandinavia.
Besides some of the highest taxes in the world. :lol:

CryptoDave

Andrew and Soren,

Thanks. I've been waiting to wear this jacket for awhile and now I can, finally cold enough.

I don't know how Soren feels, but what was very interesting for me was how soft the leather is. Jon did a fantastic job on this jacket, I have received several compliments and comments. Mostly along the lines of wow that looks warm, although there was a WWII vet, who noticed me in the jacket and asked where I got it etc... We spoke for several minutes and he said he hasn't seen anyone wearing an Irvin around here ever (in NJ).

Correct if I'm wrong, but I believe the only part of the jacket that breaks in is a somewhat "flattening" of the sleeves as the fleece compresses?

Really enjoyinng the jacket, but definitely requires cold weather.

Soren, you area 100% correct about the taxes.

Dave

PaulGT3

With all due respect to the OP, the jacket is a size or two big. The comments made here are correct,
The pics Andrew posted are of a perfect fit. And the WWII pics are guys just lucky to have
a jacket in the first place, the last thing on their mind was style. It was "will I get home from my mission tomorrow"

Having said all that, its the OPs jacket and if he is a 100% satisfied and can handle everyone thinking its too big
then thats his decision. For all we know he is going for his "OWN" fit and has good reasons for that. He paid for that fit,
he knew what he was doing,and it that fit he wants who am I to say otherwise?
But it sure is a nice jacket and no one can say anything about that.

flyboy

The right fit! What is the right fit? Of course there is a fit, that was thought out by the designer way back in the 30s. And just as true - very few airmen got the exact right fit.
That is - of course - quite another thing, when you pay for a jacket - and pay quite a lot!

But "the right fit" is still a very personal feeling - and personal matter.Many want it a bit longer.
Some want to be able to wear layers underneath. Some wants it tight and slim...

Personally I go for getting a fit, that looks and feels like the majority of pilots and aircrew, I have seen on WWII photos and in documentaries.
My hight and size taken in consideration, I think I made it.

DSCF1814mess_zps57ff91c2-1_zps812d46aa.jpg

But again - it's a very personal thing.
And as long as we get, what we want - and pay for - I think it's great!