• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Aces High Irvin

Skip

One of the best looking Irvins I've seen to date, a pure functional work of art, the only thing missing is the sound of that v12 Merlin. Beware the hun in the sun...

enjoy

flyboy

1st_squad_kilmartin_stratto-4.jpg

Kilmartin also had rather long sleeves. But he managed to look rather dashing anyway.

CryptoDave

Roughwear said:
CryptoDave said:
I have a question for the group, what quality hanger do you recommend for this jacket? Im guessing that a standard 17" hanger won't cut it, it will be too short.

Thanks,

Dave

I would recommend a wide plastic hanger which should not stretch the sheepskin or just store it flat.

Andrew,

Wouldn't a large, 22" wooden hanger be better? Less likely to stretch the jacket?

CryptoDave

ButteMT61 said:
That is one of the best-looking jackets I've ever seen. Now, I'd like to know if Jon does anything after he makes it? What I mean is, the hides look so much better now than the "in progress" shots.
I want one BAD!
Congrat's Dave! :)

Thanks Butte

B-Man2

Dave:

What has worked for me for years had been to take a wooden hanger and wrap a folded bath towel around the hanger and then tape over the bath towel with a wide packing tape. This will provide you with a rather large padded hanger that works well for all of your A2's and sheepskins.

Andrew

Dave, you certainly have arguably the best repro Irvin available right now, just beautiful and the colour and texture of the skin is fantastic. From the perspective of having originals the sleeves aren't too long, they're perfect for the jacket, but I would say the jacket is a size too large for you- unless you were of course wearing a Service Dress under it. The waist is also too long for your body. If I were in your shoes, (and I have no idea what Jon's return policy is) but i'd bite the bullet and pack her up and get back in the waitlist for a smaller size- JMHO.

However, I imagine you want a longer jacket to cover your hips so as the Irvin pattern is short waisted the long sleeves come with that, plus it'd be tough to part with her now..

CryptoDave

Andrew said:
Dave, you certainly have arguably the best repro Irvin available right now, just beautiful and the colour and texture of the skin is fantastic. From the perspective of having originals the sleeves aren't too long, they're perfect for the jacket, but I would say the jacket is a size too large for you- unless you were of course wearing a Service Dress under it. The waist is also too long for your body. If I were in your shoes, (and I have no idea what Jon's return policy is) but i'd bite the bullet and pack her up and get back in the waitlist for a smaller size- JMHO.

However, I imagine you want a longer jacket to cover your hips so as the Irvin pattern is short waisted the long sleeves come with that, plus it'd be tough to part with her now..

Andrew,

Your exactly correct, I definitely want my hips covered. And there is no way I'm returning the jacket to size down.

Dave

PS From the wartime photos I've seen, the jackets that were worn we're similar in build and fit to mine.

SuinBruin

It's a great looking jacket. Almost makes me wish it got cold enough here to wear an Irvin (or a D-1).

I agree with Andrew on the fit, but yours is the only opinion that really matters. Wear it and enjoy.

flyboy

Dave, I think you got the jacket as you like it. And isn't that the most essential?
Everybody can have opinions on wether it's too large, too long or wether the arms should be shorter....but what's most important is what and how you feel. It's your home from now on :)

Might just be a thought that back in 1939 pilots and airmen just had to take the jacket that were thrown at them - and be happy.
No tailor-made jackets there. So in that light - your jacket - and your look - is 100% authentic. :D
Enjoy it!

B-Man2

flyboy said:
Might just be a thought that back in 1939 pilots and airmen just had to take the jacket that were thrown at them - and be happy.
No tailor-made jackets there. So in that light - your jacket - and your look - is 100% authentic

Totally agree...It was whatever the Quartermaster Sgt threw at you. Could be one size up, one size down, or your size depending on what they had in available. I imagine Kilmartin took what they had and was happy to have a jacket that was close to his size.

TOMG1401

Absolutely beautiful jacket, I feel you would be happier with a size down. We all have tried to convince ourselves an incorrect fit really is ok, as time passes you will regret it. Difference with the cadet being thrown an ill fitting jacket, he wasn't paying a substantial sum for it.
I know this isn't what you want to hear while you are wrapped up in the euphoria of a new jacket, but after it passes you will wish you made the switch, just being realistic.

Marv

flyboy said:
1st_squad_kilmartin_stratto-4.jpg

Kilmartin also had rather long sleeves. But he managed to look rather dashing anyway.

Probably borrowed for the photo shoot from Bull Halahan and Bill Stratton probably borrowed his from Paul Richey

1st_squad_kilmartin_stratto-1.jpg

1st_squad_pilots.jpg

NW Carver

Great jacket - looks good, a really nice jacket!

But may I just say that it looks a little big on you - you need to put the uniform on underneath or a thick jumper underneath :) Remember, the jacket was made as part of 2 piece set with leather trousers and to go over your uniform, so the bottom of the jacket should end just on your waist not below on your bottom :)

The picture below was taken 2 years ago during some filming (Geoffrey Wellum story) and I am wearing my original 1939/40 Irvin - which is way to big for me (its a size 44 chest, made for a 6ft tall person). I am the short chap 4th from the left of the picture just under the bell...

30712_425022694135_7527305_n.jpg

Below is a picture taken last year, with the Irvin John made for me, over the same uniform with the same flying kit...and my mates Spitfire :) As you can see, the fit is tighter but not too tight, and the jacket looks better

Picture281.jpg

And here is the same jacket just with a thin shirt and tie on...

Picture286-1.jpg

In my humble opinion I think that you would look better in a smaller version but if you are happy with it, then its a great jacket, warm and well made - enjoy! :)

NW Carver

And another picture - the other Irvins are a What Price Glory on the chap with a tash, and an Eastman on the chap with the Canadian 'yellow' 32 patt Mae West...

ALL the uniforms and 90% of the flying kit (3 of the Mae West's are Replica) are original..

30712_425022709135_7138175_n.jpg

30712_425022704135_1367236_n.jpg