• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New A2

leper-colony

I’ve always thought that the WWII “Trim Fit” look was a result of the layers of clothing the airman were wearing under the A2, as opposed to the jacket actually fitting very trimly on the guy. In most photos you see a pilot wearing a trim A2 but under it is layered t-shirt , long underwear, a woolen shirt with tie, and a sweater . Take all those clothes off of the guy and just put him in a T-shirt and you’ve got an A2 that is no longer trim fitting.
By going from a 46 to a 48 you probably are wearing the proper sized A2 .
Thank you.

Its original use was not a leather shirt.

But I understand the urge to reinvent things.

B-Man2

Thank you.

Its original use was not a leather shirt.

But I understand the urge to reinvent things.
I hope I didn’t offend you with my last post. That was never my intent . I was just commenting on why WWII photos of pilots alway seem to make the A2 jacket look as they fit trimly . I was never trying to suggest that your jacket was too small for you . If it came across that way please accept my sincere apologies.

leper-colony

I hope I didn’t offend you with my last post. That was never my intent . I was just commenting on why WWII photos of pilots alway seem to make the A2 jacket look as they fit trimly . I was never trying to suggest that your jacket was too small for you . If it came across that way please accept my sincere apologies.
I don't think you could offend anyone. :) I agreed with you, and expressed my general thoughts on fit and how its viewed.

bn1966

Ordering another A-2 from ELC in a few days because I like the pattern so much & the simplicity of the thing is one of those reasons, get the fit right and an A-2 is a worthwhile companion. I agree with an earlier comment about the over engineering of the G-1 in comparison (lovely jackets though). I’ve tried several G-1’s too but always move them on in the end, in fact bi-swing backs in general don’t work for me for some reason I can’t fathom. Checking my wardrobe out there’s currently not an action back to be seen. For UK winter shearling I went for a D-1 as opposed to a B-6.

It’s funny how a size too small can look so good on but the experience be so uncomfortable. I don’t mind a ‘break in’ but I don’t want a major conflict with a jacket that ends really up only working when unzipped with a T shirt. My first A-2 being the wrong size was a prolonged campaign of man against jacket & in the end jacket won when I eventually had to move it on (cool undone but a straitjacket otherwise). Another dealbreaker for me is too long but I don’t want bolero fit either, has to work with modern pants as well as earlier cuts. Had a lovely WEP jacket once but boy were they cut short..fine as part of a flight suit but not so good as a stand-alone for a trip to Walmart.

blackrat2

I think we have probably put him off
Lots to ponder I guess
Think you probably put it pretty well in your last couple posts Burt..you have to take into account what was being worn when some of these pics were taken

Holty

@Holty what is your height/weight and what are the jackets measurements?
Hello, I'm 5'8'' and about 12.5 stone.
F07B4EB3-7F36-43C7-8D95-53B35E1E2514.jpeg
C95B5379-D1EF-40AF-A069-DCA7D9459A7E.jpeg
78EA0917-74FF-4994-8E7C-F82CFABAC82D.jpeg

Last edited:

Holty

I'm back! Thank you so much for all your help here, I really do appreciate all the contributions. So, here's what I think. I may not have understood how restrictive the A2 fit is and think that it is possible to have the 'correct' fit and think that it is too small - especially as a newbie. Also buying online makes things a little bit trickier. But, I have in the past tried on A2's in shops without any issues. Also the shirt that I used for reference last April is pretty snug on me now so I must have put on some weight. So, the jacket as it is does not work for me, it's close but I think I will let it go sooner rather than later. I'll try it on again tomorrow. Can I post it on here for sale?