• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My GW doniger has been shipped! - photos added 01/01/'09

asiamiles

srivats said:
Grant, you are absolutely right ... I have the collars folded down flat just to display the pointed collars better - think collars in early 80s "disco" movies :)

I would "unflatten" them right away! It is a good fit, even if the sleeves look as though they could have stood an extra inch; most A-2's tend to look too short when worn with jeans but your's look exactly the right length.

jacketimp

srivats said:
Grant said:
The fit looks spot on, congratulations! The collar points, however, look strangely long and out of proportion compared to original Doningers and other repros I've seen. Could this be because they are folded down flat? Just curious.

Grant, you are absolutely right ... I have the collars folded down flat just to display the pointed collars better - think collars in early 80s "disco" movies :)

a fan of john travolta...........sat nite fever?

greyhound52

asiamiles said:
srivats said:

I would "unflatten" them right away! It is a good fit, even if the sleeves look as though they could have stood an extra inch; most A-2's tend to look too short when worn with jeans but your's look exactly the right length.

Agree with your "unflatten" comment. The Doniger tends to run long in the body. Both my 44 originals are 24 inches down the windflap. RW tends to be about 23 in a size 44. Normally I don't like long jackets which is why I like the RW but there is something about a Doniger you just got to like.

zoomer

Yes, it and the Dubow 27798 really do have the handsomest silhouettes (=lines) of any WW2 A-2.

I like the longer body on my GW Doniger, because it blouses nicely. With my, uh, silhouette, I need that.

The only thing I find lacking in it is the slope of the epaulets - the outboard ends point way back. It makes it hard to carry anything on a shoulder strap, because it slips right off.

srivats

greyhound52 said:
Agree with your "unflatten" comment. The Doniger tends to run long in the body. Both my 44 originals are 24 inches down the windflap. RW tends to be about 23 in a size 44. Normally I don't like long jackets which is why I like the RW but there is something about a Doniger you just got to like.

will unflatten the collars ... does it harm the jacket if I keep them flattened for too long?

I did not know that donigers run longer than average ... I don't like short lenghts on a jacket, so its good for me :)