• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My GW doniger has been shipped! - photos added 01/01/'09

srivats

Just got off the phone with John and he said he finished and shipped my doniger today ... woohoo! I am so very excited ... I got a original air service command patch sewn on as well, with a WW2 crown zipper puller. I really can't wait to get this jacket ...

edit:
I also asked John to sign this jacket ... that way, I get to show off :)

Roughwear

Re: My GW doniger has been shipped!

I am sure it will be worth the wait. I love Crown zips, but all the Donigers I have seen have Talon zips. This doesn't mean they didn't use Crowns of course.

jacketimp

srivats said:
Just got off the phone with John and he said he finished and shipped my doniger today ... woohoo! I am so very excited ... I got a original air service command patch sewn on as well, with a WW2 crown zipper puller. I really can't wait to get this jacket ...

an original crown puller........waht about the rest of the zip? congrats!

veli1

srivats said:

Congrats srivats, my Doni has also been shipped..on monday, I expect the package every day now :D .

Just wondering.....what size did you order,color and knits?? maybe we could make trade if the other person is not satisfied with size etc.

My Doni is sz42 but I think I could also wear a sz40,well I hope for the best...

jacketimp

veli1 said:
srivats said:

Congrats srivats, my Doni has also been shipped..on monday, I expect the package every day now :D .

Just wondering.....what size did you order,color and knits?? maybe we could make trade if the other person is not satisfied with size etc.

My Doni is sz42 but I think I could also wear a sz40,well I hope for the best...

did you not give jc your measurements?

srivats

veli1, I am getting a size 42 too, russet goatskin ofcourse and (I think) mid brown knits. I usually wear a sz 40, but John says that a 40 will be a too trim on me. He sent me a sizing jacket earlier (his Aero contract) in sz. 42 long back. I sent him photos of me wearing it and he said it gave him a good idea about my fit. The test jacket was perfect in sleeve length and overeall length, but the shoulders were a bit loose and the chest was constricting. I also gave him my approximate measurements (I measured myself with an inch tape, first time doing something like that) and he said he will make necessary adjustments to make the A2 fit as it should. John knows sizing very well and I am sure that he understood what he needed to from the measurements I gave him and from these photos.

One personal request that I had was to make the sleeve ends trimmer than what he normally does ... this is something that I have seen on photos of many originals, for example Andrew's roughwear:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l15/a ... /004-6.jpg

I will try to get some photos of me wearing the jacket and will post it probably next week.

jacketimp said:
an original crown puller........waht about the rest of the zip? congrats!
Yes, only the puller is original. The rest of the zip is John's repro talon ... this happened on my personal request. I am sure that you guys all know about the crown puller fitting beautifully in on the talon zipper. The puller was bought on ebay from contrailschaser. John said that it was not inaccurate to have the crown zipper on this repro.

veli1

srivats said:
veli1, I am getting a size 42 too, russet goatskin ofcourse and (I think) mid brown knits. I usually wear a sz 40, but John says that a 40 will be a too trim on me. He sent me a sizing jacket earlier (his Aero contract) in sz. 42 long back.

Too bad for me, i didn't realize that I could ask him for a test jacket :(. Anyway gents, if this jacket wouldn't fit my body measurements i'll put up for sale.

Roughwear

Yes, only the puller is original. The rest of the zip is John's repro talon ... this happened on my personal request. I am sure that you guys all know about the crown puller fitting beautifully in on the talon zipper. The puller was bought on ebay from contrailschaser. John said that it was not inaccurate to have the crown zipper on this repro.[/quote]
The Crown is my favourite zip and I am sure the pull looks great on your ASC Doniger. However this Doniger contract only used Talons.

srivats

Roughwear said:
The Crown is my favourite zip and I am sure the pull looks great on your ASC Doniger. However this Doniger contract only used Talons.
Ah, then maybe I misunderstood John ... thanks for the clarification Andrew. I am traveling to new mexico next week and cannot wait to wear the doniger around.

veli1 said:
Too bad for me, i didn't realize that I could ask him for a test jacket :(. Anyway gents, if this jacket wouldn't fit my body measurements i'll put up for sale.
Don't worry, if you gave John your measurements I am sure the jacket will fit properly ... he really knows what he is doing and understand patterns and sizing really well. Make sure to post photos once your jacket arrives, hopefully with you wearing it.

Roughwear

I too look forward to seeing pics of the Doniger. I am sure it will be superb as John is now even more accomplished at making this contract.

jacketimp

srivats said:
Yes, only the puller is original. The rest of the zip is John's repro talon ... this happened on my personal request. I am sure that you guys all know about the crown puller fitting beautifully in on the talon zipper. The puller was bought on ebay from contrailschaser. John said that it was not inaccurate to have the crown zipper on this repro.

yes ,an economic victory.........an original clown puller will set you back a tenner/twenty buckos........expect to pony up $200+ for a complete crown..........

srivats

jacketimp said:
yes, an economic victory.........an original clown puller will set you back a tenner/twenty buckos........expect to pony up $200+ for a complete crown..........
damn straight ... could not justify $200+ for a zipper, just seemed too much.

jacketimp said:
isn't the patch your ex avatar before you swap it for the doni label???
My previous avatar was a generic one that I found on google, it might not even be original ... I actually managed to find 3 (yes, three) ASC patches locally for very cheap. I bought them on a hunch, and sent them to John and he confirmed all three were original. Two were horsehide and one is either cowhide or goatskin. I could not decide which I wanted on the jacket, so I requested John to pick one for my doniger. The other two, I asked him to keep for his collection.

I recently had a 95th FS patch made by Rosemary for this doniger (pic here). The photo does not do it any justice, the patch is absolutely stunning in real life ... but nothing beats having a original patch on my A-2, so I went for the ASC patch. I have not decided what to do with the 95th FS patch yet, maybe I will sell it on the forum ...

jacketimp

My previous avatar was a generic one that I found on google, it might not even be original ... I actually managed to find 3 (yes, three) ASC patches locally for very cheap. I bought them on a hunch, and sent them to John and he confirmed all three were original. Two were horsehide and one is either cowhide or goatskin. I could not decide which I wanted on the jacket, so I requested John to pick one for my doniger. The other two, I asked him to keep for his collection.

yes, from what i know the ASC patches are quite easily available, the original ones...

srivats

Gentlemen, the jacket is here ... and what a jacket is! 1942 out of a box ... this is the jackets our USAAF crew would've been proud to wear. The goatskin in FANTASTIC. The fit is spot on too ... I can't describe how awesome the jacket is in mere words, will post some pics later on ...

GW jackets are the best.

Roughwear

srivats said:
Gentlemen, the jacket is here ... and what a jacket is! 1942 out of a box ... this is the jackets our USAAF crew would've been proud to wear. The goatskin in FANTASTIC. The fit is spot on too ... I can't describe how awesome the jacket is in mere words, will post some pics later on ...

GW jackets are the best.

Well I'm so pleased for you and it arrived just in time for Christmas. It's the next best thing to owning an original Doniger! ;)

Grant

Actually, it's better than owning an original Doniger! No worries about snagging the knits, getting caught in rain, birds pooping on it or blowing out that vintage zipper starter. Just wear the hell out of it and enjoy. The current goatskin John is using are by far the best hides I've seen on a reproduction A-2. Congrats!

Roughwear

Grant said:
Actually, it's better than owning an original Doniger! No worries about snagging the knits, getting caught in rain, birds pooping on it or blowing out that vintage zipper starter. Just wear the hell out of it and enjoy. The current goatskin John is using are by far the best hides I've seen on a reproduction A-2. Congrats!

I guess it depends why you want to own an original Doniger, Grant. I am a collector of originals and however good the repro it can't beat an original IMHO. I never wear my Doniger regularly, but enjoy it as a rare historical survivor with a documented history. I tend to wear repros on an everyday basis as I don't want to damage originals.

blackrat2

Congrats on getting the Doniger, i have one and they are superb, especially after a few months of use, like you say the leather is superb as is the finnish.
Has anyone thought of doing a thread of JC'S jackets after a few months of use...kinda like a reunion of what everyone has got...i would love to give it a bash but am rubbish on these things. It would be a nice place for some reference shots of the jackets and there wear.

Have a good Christmas john