• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first selvedge denim : Momotaro Jeans 0306-12SP

Kermit3D

I've read a lot about selvedge jeans... That they are very uncomfortable, that the indigo color rubs off on shoes and chairs, that they need to be washed cold, by hand, ...
I never dared to take the step until yesterday.

I went by chance in a small store dedicated to bikers/surfers clothes... and I tried for the first time one of these selvedge jeans. I immediately loved it ! :)
Ok, it seems as stiff as cardboard, but it's not so uncomfortable after all, and it should soften up. The finish is amazing, it's not comparable to the jeans I've worn before.
The saleswoman was reassuring about the maintenance and the washing... she says that there will be no problem with the color that rubs off on the shoes... we'll see !

So here I am with my first selvedge denim: a very nice Momotaro 0306-12 12oz

montage_01.jpg

DSC_0539.jpg

DSC_0542.jpg

DSC_0540.jpg

DSC_0538.jpg

DSC_0543.jpg

DSC_0544.jpg

DSC_0545.jpg

DSC_0487.jpg

B-Man2

I picked up a pair of 25 Oz Sumo Selvedge by Brave Star Selvedge jeans . Damn they are like wearing a Lost Worlds A2 pair of pants . Totally bullet proof but a long break in period is required . As usual I’m wearing the piss out of them. :)

Bombing IP

Zimbabwe cotton is highly rated and pays back rewards .The fit is great ,12 oz is light for the summer .You did good Kermit .

Jeff

Kermit3D

Zimbabwe cotton is highly rated and pays back rewards .The fit is great ,12 oz is light for the summer .You did good Kermit .

Jeff

You said : "light for the summer" ? :D
The saleswoman said these are a lifetime pair of jeans... ok she's a saleswoman and she's there to sell, but I think they'll hold up for a long time!

I picked up a pair of 25 Oz Sumo Selvedge by Brave Star Selvedge jeans . Damn they are like wearing a Lost Worlds A2 pair of pants . Totally bullet proof but a long break in period is required . As usual I’m wearing the piss out of them. :)

I have a hard time imagining what it's like to wear 25 Oz jeans... :eek:

Advice, if you're planning to go down that rabbit hole: the heavier the fabric, the looser the fit should be. I always liked slimmer fit in my jeans, however when I went for 25oz I deliberately chose for a wide and relaxed fit that I'd never imagine me wearing.

It's something I'm just beginning to understand. The "classic" mid-range non-selvedge jeans that have a loose fit don't look good on me (I have thin legs).
The heavier the jeans are, the better they keep a good shape when the fit is comfortable.
I will probably come there in a more or less near future... ;)

Bombing IP

Kermit
The saleswoman said these are a lifetime pair of jeans... ok she's a saleswoman and she's there to sell, but I think they'll hold up for a long time!

Light does not mean short lived an analogy would be the difference between a sweat shirt and a T shirt ,T shirt being for hotter weather like summer .My preferred weight in denim is 16ozs if the weather is that hot I would wear shorts so its either or . I used to post about jeans on the forum but gave up as there was no interest . Just out of curiosity you have started to block out your face why!, you have so many pictures of yourself showing your face .I would recommend Gustin jeans for you as they come the way you like and have long lengths prices are great
https://www.weargustin.com/store

Jeff

Last edited:

Kermit3D

Kermit

Light does not mean short lived an analogy would be the difference between a sweat shirt and a T shirt ,T shirt being for hotter weather like summer .My preferred weight in denim is 16ozs if the weather is that hot I would wear shorts so its either or . I used to post about jeans on the forum but gave up as there was no interest . Just out of curiosity you have started to block out your face why!, you have so many pictures of yourself showing your face .I would recommend Gustin jeans for you as they come the way you like and have long lengths prices are great
https://www.weargustin.com/store

Jeff

Thank you for the jeans sales site. There seem to be some great jeans for a decent price.

The pictures are blurred to spare you the view of my head before morning coffee. Nobody would like to see that ! :D

Kermit3D

Wow, the fit seems too extreme for me, it's really really wide!
But thanks for the link, I'll check out what they offer.

I am a total beginner when it comes to jeans. I had a feeling I was getting my fingers into a new gear... so much to discover...

Bombing IP

Kermit the way I got into what I like was read every thing I can.I then bought jeans on eBay for 30 cents on the dollar new price . I was able to get to touch and feel them wear them ,this way I could decide for myself what I wanted .I wanted jeans with a high rise the pockets to be super strong and the cut and styling to be important . I am not a skinny jean person ,high rise jeans work well with A2 jackets .Material weight 16oz and up traditional jean cut and no wacky designs .I have in my collection about 8 brands of jeans all selvedge
The makes are
Railcar
imogene+willie
Noble
Gustin
Raleigh Denim
LVC
Brave Star
Hartford Denim

All are American made and use American denim ,I certainly have my favorites now I have got to wear them all .Well that was my journey and it was very interesting once you have them in your hand and inspect them .Reading about them only gives you so much insight . A good belt and a pair of roughout boots and a T shirt A2 I am happier than a dog with two penises . I can see your already working on you second pair good luck Kermit .

mulceber

Kermit the way I got into what I like was read every thing I can.I then bought jeans on eBay for 30 cents on the dollar new price . I was able to get to touch and feel them wear them ,this way I could decide for myself what I wanted .I wanted jeans with a high rise the pockets to be super strong and the cut and styling to be important . I am not a skinny jean person ,high rise jeans work well with A2 jackets .Material weight 16oz and up traditional jean cut and no wacky designs .I have in my collection about 8 brands of jeans all selvedge
The makes are
Railcar
imogene+willie
Noble
Gustin
Raleigh Denim
LVC
Brave Star
Hartford Denim

All are American made and use American denim ,I certainly have my favorites now I have got to wear them all .Well that was my journey and it was very interesting once you have them in your hand and inspect them .Reading about them only gives you so much insight . A good belt and a pair of roughout boots and a T shirt A2 I am happier than a dog with two penises . I can see your already working on you second pair good luck Kermit .

Just browsed Brave Star’s site and jumped on a pair of white cone denim jeans. Thanks for the tip!

Bombing IP

Jan , Bert bought a pair of Brave Star a couple of week ago . Your welcome for the tip ,check out Gustin they have very good prices on White Oak Denim . Wiith Gustin they get commitments on for the order and then make them so you have to wait a month or six weeks ,that way they keep the prices down .You pay up front pick your fit and your type of jeans materials etc .

Jefdf

blackrat2

Kermit those jeans are definitely an improvement from the pair you had in September
There are some good Jeans sites out there but certainly a great amount of knowledge on this forum also
Those Sugar Canes look nice
Has anyone tried the TCB ww2 cut,I finally have got there sizing dialled in the jacket I had from them, but be very specific with what sizing you want your jeans cos they usually turn up way small

gav

Sugarcane, fullcount, real mccoys, warehouse and at last & co are a few favorite Japanese denims. I think 14-15oz is the sweet spot for denim weight personally. I don’t much care for the super heavy denims.

Bombing IP

So Gav your 100% Japanese made with your denim ,I agree with you about the weight .I buy US made trying to keep some of the money here in the states .Seems our Government likes to give it away to foreign countries for transgender studies and the such other senseless crap .

Jeff