• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first selvedge denim : Momotaro Jeans 0306-12SP

B-Man2

I can tell you guys that I purchased a pair of Brave Stars 25 Oz Sumo III True Straight jeans and holy shit , getting in and out of them is a chore . New they are stiff as the canvas sails of a Tri masted schooner. I’ve worn out a set of thumbs trying to get the buttons thru the burton holes and back out . Don’t wait until you have to pee to start trying to get these things off . Anticipate every trip to the bathroom or by the time you get out of them it will be too late ! Hopefully these will loosen up in about a lifetime or two ;)

Harris_HTM

I can tell you guys that I purchased a pair of Brave Stars 25 Oz Sumo III True Straight jeans and holy shit , getting in and out of them is a chore . New they are stiff as the canvas sails of a Tri masted schooner. I’ve worn out a set of thumbs trying to get the buttons thru the burton holes and back out . Don’t wait until you have to pee to start trying to get these things off . Anticipate every trip to the bathroom or by the time you get out of them it will be too late ! Hopefully these will loosen up in about a lifetime or two ;)
They will loosen up fast, just keep on wearing them. I can unbutton my Iron Heart 25oz relatively fast, though when worn after every wash is sort of a struggle still.

B-Man2

They will loosen up fast, just keep on wearing them. I can unbutton my Iron Heart 25oz relatively fast, though when worn after every wash is sort of a struggle still.
Interesting ... now most of what I’ve read is not to wash them for the first 6 months . Not being a denim head that seems a little long to me not to wash them by about 5 months and 3 weeks . But that’s what I’ve read . Can you tell me if that sounds right ?

Harris_HTM

Interesting ... now most of what I’ve read is not to wash them for the first 6 months . Not being a denim head that seems a little long to me not to wash them by about 5 months and 3 weeks . But that’s what I’ve read . Can you tell me if that sounds right ?
with all honesty: I hate dirty jeans and I love clean clothes! I know they say a lot about washing denim but I just wash them at the washing machine: program for wool, cold water.

Kermit3D

No spinning with the washing machine I guess? (I'm not sure I'm using the right word in English... when the machine is running to remove the water)

gav

So Gav your 100% Japanese made with your denim ,I agree with you about the weight .I buy US made trying to keep some of the money here in the states .Seems our Government likes to give it away to foreign countries for transgender studies and the such other senseless crap .

Jeff
Yeah. All japanese denim since a pair of Roy jeans about 8 years ago and LVC way back. I’m not American so have no reason to choose USA over Japan and I have not seen denim that can compete from the USA. Not saying it doesn’t exist, just that I haven’t handled any.

gav

If you are going to not wash for ages and they are raw (unsanforized), make sure to at least soak and shrink them before wearing.

blackrat2

It’s a minefield...to wash or not wash..cold soak before you first wear them
I think there is no hard and fast rule just wear them and enjoy them
I would like to try some others, other than LVC, Lee Japan are nice denim

B-Man2

Well ... these 25oz babies are like bullet proof jeans . I think they could stand up in a corner by themselves . I’m new to this whole Selvedge denim thing and I wish I would have had a pair of these about 40 years ago . They would have saved me a shit load of money . No need to buy frosted jeans , bell bottoms , Jordache , Sergio Valenti , Calvin Klein , Ralph Lauren and a hundred other brands . This one pair would have lasted me half my life :) They seem indestructible to most forces of nature ... crotch rot not withstanding at this time ... but we will see ;)

33-1729

It’s a minefield...to wash or not wash..cold soak before you first wear them
I think there is no hard and fast rule just wear them and enjoy them
I would like to try some others, other than LVC, Lee Japan are nice denim

I can shine a light on washing or not.

Denimhead competitors are trying to get the highest contrast fades possible, so that items like “whiskers” really pop out from the darkest background. A key to this is by mechanical abrasion of the denim fabric, like from the heavy starch in all new jeans (used to help cutting large stacks of denim material) and just dirt and grit from everyday wear. If you wash jeans frequently then this mechanical abrasive effect is reduced, because the starch, dirt, and other grit is removed. You’ll still get “whiskers”, but they won’t be as pronounced and it will take longer to achieve. So, if you’re entering a denimhead fade contest washing your jeans is “bad”.

What if you wash? The mechanical abrasive impact will be reduced so the section with the highest movement, the crotch, won’t wear out as quickly and your jeans will last longer before needing repair. Ever work on a farm all day? Yes, your jeans smell like that too. Some put them in a freezer, but when they warm up you’ll notice that’s a temporary fix. When water was scarce, like mining in Nevada, they’d hang them up outside (not inside) to air them out instead of using precious water. That works as well now as it did back then.

Strong fades (don’t wash) or ensuring a non-offensive scent (do wash)? The choice is yours (and your possible friends). If washing, like many denimheads do, 40C (or cold water) and hanging them up to air dry is fine.

Happy Hooligan

cold soak new, wash as needed, and I mean as needed, not because it's a Tuesday and you're doing a load. I wash my jeans maybe once a year. Machine wash, drip dry.

I've been into selvedge denim since you could buy them at JC Penney's back in the day. Picked it up again in the late 90's when LVC came out. Even got into making my own. You really only need 2-3 pairs to last 10 years or so, or until you forget what dark blue jeans felt like.

Japan or USA/Canada Jeans are the best in my opinion. Some makers are better than others, but I don't know the skinny selvedge at all. I still don't get how people are blowing out their crotch though? Is it because they're wearing skinny jean or sizes too small? I've blown out my knees and wear areas like back pockets, but never a crotch. Anyway, a real raw selvedge pair is a joy to own. Congratulations.

CBI

give me my Wangler sketch jeans any day!!!!

Sometimes, I just don't belong here!!!!!

Really, used to wear the "real stuff' but never really liked them even after lots of wear...........no idea??????

Last edited:

blackrat2

Thanks 33-1729, I have seen all this stuff before but that’s a good condensed post for some of the guys starting out on raw denim...I have been dipping my toes in for a few years but am no Paul T
I have never had crotch blow out until my LVC 44 cut jeans, one pair I wore unwashed initially and the second I gave a soak and sat in the bath treatment!!,both got blows and both have had to be fixed, the pocket bags have both performed badly but I have seen that is the case on TCB with the competition ww2 jeans ...that said my 44’s are a handful of years old and so don’t have the green or coloured pockets just the bolt standard Levis ones
Lee Japan pair are pretty solid but are Sanforised so I can’t really compare to process, I think Grant on here is the man for Lee

B-Man2

Here’s a photo of the interior label of those Brave Star 25 Oz Selvedge Jeans . These mothers are so thick and stiff when you first get them that they would protect you from a good swift kick in the balls ... now THATS a testimonial !!o_O
D2A3D9C5-5CEE-4E3A-B428-B1DEDDDDC72F.jpeg

Smithy

give me my Wangler sketch jeans any day!!!!

Sometimes, I just don't belong here!!!!!

Really, used to wear the "real stuff' but never really liked them even after lots of wear...........no idea??????

I'm like you CBI, I tried but failed the selvedge thing. It just didn't do anything for me.

Saying that I know that a lot of guys around here love the stuff and the pics looks great but for me, I'd rather use the money on a pair of really good cords or moleskins if I want heavyish strides.

mulceber

Just rediscovered this thread and I’m glad it exists. I’ve been getting into denim a bit more this past year, trying out different brands. My Brave Stars are nice and comfortable by now, and about a month away from their first wash. I’ll have to figure out how to avoid spin cycle. My washer doesn’t have many options.

Also got a pair of Gustin jeans and have another pair on the way. The quality’s good (great for the money), and the cone mills denim is very nice, but I’d caution that even their straight fit is very much a modern, low-rise fit. They’re basically modern Levi’s, but with improved materials and construction.

To scratch that itch, I’m sure I’ll be throwing down for a pair of Sugar Cane 47s at some point. In the meantime, my Bronson 15 oz jeans do the job.

Last edited: