• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first A2

mulceber

A lot of great information. Thanks for your contribution, it is making things much easier for me. I think I'm gonna end up with a 16160 and a 18775!

FWIW, if you're looking to get a russet AND a seal jacket, I'd get them from two very different contracts, just to diversify your collection. Two aeros will be nearly identical, apart from the color and the collar stand. An Aero and a Rough Wear, or an Aero and a Dubow? Now that's a combo that will allow you to experience a broader segment of the A-2 jacket world. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Holty

FWIW, if you're looking to get a russet AND a seal jacket, I'd get them from two very different contracts, just to diversify your collection. Two aeros will be nearly identical, apart from the color and the collar stand. An Aero and a Rough Wear, or an Aero and a Dubow? Now that's a combo that will allow you to experience a broader segment of the A-2 jacket world. Just my two cents.
Yes! I like the way you think - I did that with my bikes!

Brettafett

Some great input from the guys here.
After reading all the above, I'd agree that a 42 regular should do the trick nicely.

The jacket will loosen up and 'mould' to your body the more the wear it, it will get better and better over time, both in fit and in the way it looks.

I think either of the Aeros/ Arcos are a good choice. Its a sensible pattern and is easy to wear.
Reading the details of various jackets makers on John Chapman's Goodwearleather website, gives a great run down of the basic differences and how they 'generally' fit.

If I were you, I'd place the order, if you choose to do so... so you get in the queue, and then iron out the details a t a later date with Andy.
The research and gathering info is half the fun.
If you haven't yet, ask Andy for some samples, request both leather and knit, that way you can better gauge how they compare in real life in real light.
May go a long way to helping you nail the details/ jacket.

And yes, getting them as 'default' off the website is perfect, I was just saying that BK gives you options.

Greg Gale

Decide what kind of fit you’d like: comfy/ loose/ slim, etc and whether or not you’d like a collar stand. That will narrow it down. Also check the shape of the pocket flaps and collar to see which one you like best.

Holty

I think Bill Kelso is a great choice, I really love my Dubow 27798.
The people here will be able to give you great advice on size choice. Brettafett in particular, he owned a lot of A-2 jackets from many different brands.
Hi Kermit, I've just seen the photos of your Dubow and I really like it. Is it ok if I show the pictures to the maker to show how I want my jacket to fit?
Also, what is your actual chest measurement and the jacket size if you don't mind? Thanks.

Brettafett

That is a Dubow 27798, seal liberty, medium brown knit & thread.
Size 42 long (inch added to lengths)
pm me for the exact measurements and some more pics if you like, Im sure K will gladly offer his insights also.
(I have another seal Dubow from BK, also one from Platon and also have a BK RW23380)

Brettafett

Platon's Dubow (essentially same as a BK) is a fantastic jacket, as good as any other high end maker.
The price for a new one is hard to beat, although you'll wait a bit... But getting one secondhand, in top condition is a huge win for a first jacket.
I think it could potentially be a good fit also.

mulceber

Yes, I know. I have been quietly eyeing it up while simultaneously confusing the s**t out of myself.

Yeah, you should strongly consider getting Greg’s, especially since it’ll give you good guidance on your own measurements. Best (and most likely) case scenario, you’ll have one of the two jackets you wanted to get at less than half the price. Worst case, you’ll know exactly what measurements you need, and can sell it on for about what you paid for it.

Last edited:

Kermit3D

Hi Kermit, I've just seen the photos of your Dubow and I really like it. Is it ok if I show the pictures to the maker to show how I want my jacket to fit?
Also, what is your actual chest measurement and the jacket size if you don't mind? Thanks.

Thank you for the kind words about my BK Dubow pictures. :)
Indeed I bought this jacket in Brettafett. It was a great chance that he sold me this A-2, and he advised me very well.
You can use these photos as you wish, no problem.

My measurements are as follows :

From shoulder to shoulder : 51cm / 20 inches
Sleeve length (from shoulder to wrist) : 64 cm / 25 inches
Chest size: 102cm / 40 inches
Height : 6'02 / 188 cm
Weight: 164 pounds / 74 kg

Jacket measures approximately

Shoulder to shoulder - 17.75”
Pit to pit - 22”
Sleeve - 26”
Back length - 25”

Here is the link to the page where Brettafett sold me his jacket.
You will find there some information that could be useful to you.

Holty

Thank you for the kind words about my BK Dubow pictures. :)
Indeed I bought this jacket in Brettafett. It was a great chance that he sold me this A-2, and he advised me very well.
You can use these photos as you wish, no problem.

My measurements are as follows :

From shoulder to shoulder : 51cm / 20 inches
Sleeve length (from shoulder to wrist) : 64 cm / 25 inches
Chest size: 102cm / 40 inches
Height : 6'02 / 188 cm
Weight: 164 pounds / 74 kg

Jacket measures approximately

Shoulder to shoulder - 17.75”
Pit to pit - 22”
Sleeve - 26”
Back length - 25”

Here is the link to the page where Brettafett sold me his jacket.
You will find there some information that could be useful to you.

Thank you re the use of your photos and also the additional info and link to the original sale. I think a couple of the measurements may be off and rule this jacket out.

Holty

Check my post here, and look for the RW fit pic:

That's a size 42 (22.5 pit to pit) on 77kg and 40" chest. Not slim, nor relaxed. If you're 80 kg, a 42 will not be baggy that's for sure. Keep in mind that A-2s are meant to have more room in the torso than modern jackets, otherwise they become extremely restrictive.

As for collars stand vs not, check the 2 fit pics in the above thread. The Dubow has no collar stand. The RW has one. It's more practical when sitting and looking around, but collar stands look kinda cool and elegant. It's up to your preference.
Hello Greg, I tried to message you over on your listing but couldn't work out how to do it! There is no reply button like there is on here. Anyway, I am interested in your Dubow but would like to discuss that with you. Do we do that here or would you prefer to do it on the listing thread? Cheers.

mulceber

Hey @Holty, you can send private messages to people by pressing the envelope button at the top of the page:
B9D90D85-FDB1-4246-863A-3C3C72A01106.jpeg

That’ll take you to your inbox where you can start new messages.

Last edited:

Greg Gale

@Holty , I already have 2 people interested, if they don't buy it I'll let you know. I'm quite sure it would be a great fit for you, and even if someone else buys it I'd recommend Platon's Dubow to you. They cost half of a BK and just as good. Unfortunately the waiting times are quite similar too. Check the forums to see if you prefer seal (mine) or russet.