• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My AAF Collection

unclegrumpy

I do not know exactly what the "D" would be for. I will say, on US flight gear, there are sometimes numbers and letters stenciled on them that are often related to training or are rack/inventory numbers for items that would be turned back in after each use.

In the AAF, a lot of the flight gear, especially issued to enlisted men, would be turned back in after each flight. I have had A-9 & A-11 helmets and other gear with combinations of numbers and letters stenciled on them, that I am sure were done for accounting purposes.

Getting back to the "D" and the "X". One question I have that I should have asked earlier on, is if this helmet came to you with the RAF receivers and wiring. One would expect a helmet used by the AAF to have had those switched out, but then again, that is not always the case.

If I were forced to hazard a guess about this one, it would be that this helmet was used in training. A marking like the "D" would help an instructor identify and keep track of a student covered in flight gear without having to worry about his name, and the "X" would help him see that the student was in the proper position. Late stage Navigator or Bombardier training might be a good bet, as an instructor would have several students to keep track of in the air at one time.

Anyway, I think in the end this helmet will have to be put back into the mystery category, but it is a neat one to see and think about.

dmar836

"Ready for a Mission"

Got the A-5 harness mounted up. Had to change the original owner's adjustments and snip the threads on the leg straps. I'll have to restitch those and also move the OD bands down near the hooks and stitch up higher. The stitches held the loose strap ends after fitting and where they tack down the hooks they just snap when the chute deploys. Thanks to Tim(Bombs Away) for some clarification shots on the harness. I saw a leather "bang box" pad for sale somewhere - anyone seen one FS?
Also changed out the red A-5 trousers to a dark pair. They match the B-3 much better. My wife said, "That looks much better, like they say in fashion, 'the dark colors should always be on bottom.'" Is that what this has come to?
BTW, I have a mint pair of A-11 trousers to go under that B-15 back there.

IMG_7219.jpg

Dave

bombs away

Hello Dave,

This harness is really rare, I've never seen one for sale. :shock:
(I'll have a look for the bang box)

As a late war type, I would have put it on late war clothes (the B-15A you have behind for example), and I would have been so afraid to damage the B-3 when fixing the harness !
That's only my opinion, the display you've realised looks really great. Congrats !

Tim.

dmar836

Perfectly reasonable point. The earlier A-6 boots, M-3 helmet, etc. lend this to an earlier setup for sure. Actually there's a "Blue Bunny" under it too. I figured most would see it as a QAC group 2 harness though that was hardly addressed in the post.
I have never been as much of a fan of the cloth vs shearling but may have to be a little more vigilant with time correctness and build that up properly.
Thanks for the reminder.
Dave

dmar836

Cold Weather?

I never really cared too much for the B-7 jacket perhaps because it wasn't used much in the ETO. Nonetheless, it's in the catalog so.....
And now after all these years it looks like something a rapper would wear. Somehow I am not sickened by this fact..... but close.
Would be appropriate for the weather we're having right now!

IMG_7223.jpg

And before someone comments on the G-suit with a bomber-patched A-2.......... I already know!

Dave

bombs away

Re: Cold Weather?

Hello Dave,

dmar836 said:
And now after all these years it looks like something a rapper would wear. Somehow I am not sickened by this fact..... but close.

I like the idea ! :mrgreen:

Just for your information, B-7 parkas have been worn in the ETO, but it's very scarce.
Here is a picture taken in march 1944, 490th BG
5260847594_dca08231dc_b_d.jpg

Tim

PS : the A-2 jacket looks great ! ;)

dmar836

I knew they were there but had yet to see a group shot like that. Thanks! Imagine how quickly those got dirty.
The A-2 is still a bit salty. 'bout time for another treatment, I suppose.

dmar836

Fighter Pilot 1944

Got a couple of new mannequins. Kinda creepy really. This one is so masculine, he's got eye liner, big eyelashes, and breasts!

IMG_7232.jpg

dmar836

LOL. Partially! I have a very understanding wife who knows I continuously bleed cash into my current hobby. Come spring, it might be motorcycles, bicycles, who knows!? Obviously the plane thing is in hold mode for right now.
My collection pales in comparison to some but, truthfully, there are probably worse things to be investing in right now. Then again, I have a hard time imagining ever wanting to sell stuff.

dmar836

Let's call him Spencer. He's been a model citizen so far....... except for scaring me and my wife on numerous occasions(with him on the landing, naked, in the dark and all )!
As for the tunic. Unfortunately it is unnamed.

IMG_7234.jpg

Andrew

The headless one's do seem to be a little less threatening (strangely) but they offer less display options. There was a company selling period looking torsos a few years ago, I have one of their heads but i've still never really used it as it's still too descriptive for my liking- I use vintage hat blocks. I would like to have one figure that i could assemble kit on for photography but I know my Wife would hate it plus it'd freak out my boys for sure.

It just occurred to me Dave (and this is as a compliment), but this is the ultimate 1:1 scale GI Joe dress up :D

dmar836

LOL. Linda did say last night, "It's like a little girl dressing her Barbies." As long as she remains supportive, she can say all she wants.
I do think the mannequin details detract somewhat from the outfits BUT as you said they do allow more options and gets more stuff off the shelves and off hangars.
I don't think I would want detailed heads for that very reason. I do need a few more though.
I think they are better if/when I do more public displays. It keeps items all in one spot and easier to account for. Otherwise I'd feel a need to display headgear, etc, separately.
Dave

Andrew

I'll have a look around for that mannequin maker, they based them on the old plaster figures so had the right look for the period. I don't think they made full figures though unfortunately.

dmar836

Most of mine are knee-to-shoulder injected plastic that were meant to be set on a dept. store table. I added a plate with a pipe flange and mounted that and an 18" length of 1" pipe to another flange on bases I made. The trousers just dangle and shoes just sit under them. They have worked well for me but I think I might chop a few off at the waist and make some more like the two in the background on the shelf. Those are old cloth-covered fiber types.
I also considered mounting a pole to the neck with a hat mount on top. Otherwise I often have to rob one guys hat to fit another's head. The cap above actually belongs to a glider pilot group I have. The whole mixing and matching makes me nervous I'll misplace a piece of a grouping.

dmar836

Went on an A-10-A buying spree. Here's a nice one from Springfield Mo.

IMG_7281.jpg

One from the UK with the visor cut off.

IMG_7282.jpg

The third from Hayes Otoupalik was actually an AN-H-15 and took weeks. We'll see if he returns my money as quickly - he's always on the road.

dmar836

A few of you may have seen this on the US Militaria Forum. I bought it from a member there.
Nice early tunic with plastic buttons. Has a name on the label but can't find him in NARA(no big surprise).
Hardware is nice too with flat-backed clinchers and clip ribbon bar. Doubt it was put together based on those alone(if faking one I would put on the more common/cheaper stuff).
Question is the AAF patch. Anyone seen one with a black background before? Speculation on the forum was a lost crew, etc. That appears unlikely as there were many lost crews/sole survivors and this appears to be uncommon.
It's a first for me.

IMG_7315.jpg

IMG_7314.jpg

Dave

Andrew

Maybe that's a 5thAF patch lurking underneath :D

The only US decoration I recognize is the Air Medal but what's that ribbon closest- the rainbow colours looks like a WW1 Victory medal ribbon??