• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My AAF Collection

dmar836

Tim,
Sorry for taking so long to post.
The jacket you mentioned is somewhat of an enigma but has much more going for it than some of my jackets. It is named but I have not researched it. It came from a fellow who was refurbishing a B&B out in the country near here. I don't think he was a collector(just nostalgic). We must have come into contact on one of the militaria "for sale" boards of the 90's. I traded a repro M42 jacket and trousers to him. He admitted to wearing the cap in a parade or two in their small town. He also claimed he got this group from the original owner who was well-known in his community. He mentioned the low quarter shoes he had from him but as I said I lost track of the guy. He made no note of the English patch or anything else that I recall so I don't think he knew the significance. I agree that the lack of the PTO ribbon is problematic. You can see in the following pic that there are other holes where the ribbon bars were once located. If I recall, the bars were mounted incorrectly and/or the unit citation was also on the left breast. Perhaps the ribbons were in a drawer or maybe there is a missing ribbon as well - the PTO.
Here are two more pics that lend to the authenticity of the piece and give me confidence it wasn't "put together".

IMG_6104.jpg

The right shoulder. Nicely applied, English-made, and appears period-done.

IMG_6106.jpg

I was quite pleased to find this in the left breast pocket! I would have it under the wings but it's a bit thick for the clutch-back wings to hold.

Thanks for pointing this PTO thing out as I had completely forgotten about that.

Question: If I can ever verify the man's records, should I add a PTO ribbon? I have yet to do this to any of my pieces, and have a real moral issue with this, but when is there ever an invitation to "correct" a piece? Anyone?

Dave
Kansas City, USA

bombs away

Hello Dave,

As I've said, it has happened to some men to go to the PTO after having fought in the ETO, so no worries about the enigma.
If you give me his name I can try to find more about him and may find the explanation.

Beautiful jacket indeed. I love the blue felt back for the wings.

Tim.

dmar836

Not the easiest vest to find. The C2. And by Goodwear to boot!!

IMG_6132.jpg

IMG_6134.jpg

Can anyone comment on the zipper? IIRC, this Koverzip is the only zipper I have where the tape is stitched between the teeth so that the slider alwaysruns over the tape.

IMG_6133.jpg

Dave
Kansas City, USA

dmar836

AAF Officers shoes

IMG_6146.jpg

IMG_6145.jpg

Unworn pair

For some reason the post war examples and the repros often have seven lace holes.

Dave
Kansas City, USA

bombs away

Hello Dave,

Thank you for posting. I really like the C-2 sweater. They're hard to find, especially in this brilliant condition.
They are usually moth eaten. :evil:
I don't have any in my collection unfortunately, and I can't help about the zipper.

Keep posting ! ;)

Tim.

Andrew

Thanks for the excellent pics of the service shoes Dave. The best examples i've seen. What amazes me still is how such a ubiquitous item of clothing was used so widely in such an agressive environment ie, a plain old pair of shoes flying in combat aircraft.

dmar836

One of the rarest things in the collection. Likely the cheapest to produce.

IMG_6184.jpg

IMG_6183.jpg

Found two of these in a gas mask/bag I bought for $15 at an outdoor show in NY back in '95 or so. Traded off the ground pounder gas mask for the value I paid but kept these(I still wasn't dedicated to AAF yet). Sold one brassard on Ebay back about 12 years ago for over $300! Wish I had kept that one too!

Dave
Kansas City, USA

Clark J

Ok I know all you guys are thinking it so I'll just say it.....who needs one of these for their wife????

dmar836

LOL. I think I would need it for my own safety!! She'd kill me if she read this but I'm sure if I kept it out in the living area, it would be yellow!
As an aside, is that the color they turned?
Dave

Andrew

Ok i'm confused. Isn't a brassard something that goes over the arm/shoulder? And if they were used for Clarks suggestion wouldn't a paper bag have been a cheaper option?

dmar836

Was that the way it was going? I meant that I'd use it as designed. My wife is a triathlete who eats a ton, loves to cook rich food, and just can't keep blaming the dog!
Dave

dmar836

Rocky's jacket question reminded me of this helmet liner. I love the decal. I have seen period photos of guys wearing these liners while training.

IMG_6191.jpg

Dave
Kansas City, USA

dmar836

Got Cloth?

Someone asked about a cloth jacket a while back. Here's an all cloth winter kit variation:

IMG_7023.jpg

IMG_7022.jpg

B-9 Parka
B-8 Trousers
B-9 Cap
A-12 Gloves

Dave
Kansas City, USA

watchmanjimg

dmar836 said:
LOL. I think I would need it for my own safety!! She'd kill me if she read this but I'm sure if I kept it out in the living area, it would be yellow!
As an aside, is that the color they turned?
Dave

I believe I read that they turned a pinkish color on exposure to gas.

dmar836

AAF computers

IMG_7107.jpg

I'm sure I'll learn to use the E-6B in my training. Calculators are more compact and faster but I want to know how "they" did it.

Dave
KC, USA