• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

missing link?

mulceber

The label in the original post is wrong, it's been messed with as mentioned , so what ever the jacket is , it's not what the label says it is .
Looking at the 2 pics posted of the B1 and B2 labels , same contract .

Agreed. It's pretty well established at this point that the label is from A-2 flying trousers, which Switlik did make, while the jacket does not match any known contracts, but contains features from several different early contracts. The question before us is what we do with these two puzzle pieces.

Carl

Agreed. It's pretty well established at this point that the label is from A-2 flying trousers, which Switlik did make, while the jacket does not match any known contracts, but contains features from several different early contracts. The question before us is what we do with these two puzzle pieces.
I'm sure that someone ,somewhere, sometime will figure it out.
At the moment it's all circumspect over a leather jacket with a dodgy label .

Ken at Aero Leather

Just a thought, could the zipper and other parts have also been taken from Switlik pants to make this?

Not a hope of that

Personally, I believe we may have unearthed a previously unknown or unidentified contract.
Can you imagine the number of posts that this jacket would have generated had it not be fitted with the doctored label?
The jacket is far too close to a 30s Military A-2 to be a commercial jacket, these just weren't around until after WW2, too many big panels for 30's commercial makers

Maverickson

Hi All,

Currently, there is a set of trousers up for sale on eBay. The label is close enough to that same one attached to Victor's early A-2. Not to mention, a close to the same era Hookless zip and what I believe that Grant is referring as more often than not these military contractors shared the same model zips and or same hardware in general between different types of garments that they might have been producing at the time.

See here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pre-War-A-...192000?hash=item2ac2584840:g:glUAAOSws~pcR8n3

But I believe that trouser's label is also hand stitched to those trousers & I see some silk thread having been used to stitch up those trousers.

Last edited:

Grant

Hi All,

Currently, there is a set of trousers up for sale on eBay. The label is close enough to that same one attached to Victor's early A-2. Not to mention, a close to the same era Hookless zip and what I believe that Grant is referring as more often than not these military contractors shared the same model zips between different types of garments that they might have been producing at the time.

See here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pre-War-A-...192000?hash=item2ac2584840:g:glUAAOSws~pcR8n3

But I believe that trouser's label is also hand stitched to those trousers & I see some silk thread having been used to stitch up those trousers.

Thanks Dave, that's what I was wondering. Never say never, Ken!

2BM2K

One possibility for the label not mentioned so far is that when jackets were reissued
if the original label was missing or badly damaged then a replacement was fitted.y clothing or eve

These seem to show at least the jacket type, eg A2, and that it was issue item. Labels
could come any clothing or even made up.

MikeyB-17

I find it hard to believe that’s the original lining. Look at the collar, cracked, stained and worn, and yet the lining of the collar stand directly underneath is virtually unmarked. It doesn’t seem to match the condition of the shell.

B-Man2

I find it hard to believe that’s the original lining. Look at the collar, cracked, stained and worn, and yet the lining of the collar stand directly underneath is virtually unmarked. It doesn’t seem to match the condition of the shell.
Good call Mikey... Your right it doesn’t match up for the original lining. To follow your lead look at the lining around the arm holes and lower lining . The stitch marks may say one thing but that lower lining looks pretty clean for a jacket that old and no wear marks or holes around the inside armpits which usually wear out and rot a bit from sweat and wear over that amount of years and use.

RB25

Couple of thoughts on the label discussion. There is clearly evidence in the pictures that the liner has faded over time, but the thread attaching the label is a match. What are the chances that someone was able to source thread to match the faded liner so perfectly? Also, I’m no sewing expert but if a machine was set up to sew the leather pieces together, then also used to sew a thin label to a thin liner material without readjusting the machine,wouldn’t that possibly explain why the stitching is out of adjustment?

MikeyB-17

On another note ..... Let’s all give Vic a couple of thumbs up for being a great guy, taking this all in stride and not telling us all to get bent , while we conduct “ Jacket Forensics” on his new found Holy Grail of a jacket ;)
Fair comment Burt-although Vic’s been around the block enough times to know that this is exactly what would happen when he posted it! He knows what we’re like!

mulceber

On another note ..... Let’s all give Vic a couple of thumbs up for being a great guy, taking this all in stride and not telling us all to get bent , while we conduct “ Jacket Forensics” on his new found Holy Grail of a jacket ;)

I was just thinking that myself. I know that if this was my jacket and people were suggesting it wasn't real, or that it's real but the tag isn't, I'd be freaking out. Vic seems to be cool as a cucumber.