• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

missing link?

Ken at Aero Leather

Great point, Andrew. I just went through the Eastman manual, and the double stitching is unattested across all contracts, so I don't THINK this is a case of someone trying to turn a fairly common contract into a unique one by adding a fake label. My guess is that Edward's hypothesis was correct: Switlik wanted to break into the A-2 jacket game, so they made a test jacket that they sent to the army. Rather than create a completely new label, they just took one of the labels that they used for their flying trousers and doctored it to look passable.

Can't see the factory making such a good jacket and making such a poor job of attaching the label
So which known contracts have double stritched pockets and press studs rather than buttons on the pocket, none that are known I believe?

saucerfiend

This is a fascinating find Vic. However, the label is actually from a pair of A-2 flying trousers, not from an A-2 at all. The label on the A-2 has been doctored with the 2 from the drawing number removed and the 5 from the order number removed. You can see the changes when you look at the photo of an A-2 trouser label. The drawing number should read 31-2413 and the order number AC 5515.
Andrew,
This is a great New Year's treat, having you back! Man, this really makes my day!

Brian

Skyhawk

Yep, none of them. Hence my suggestion that this was a test jacket by a company that was never awarded a contract.
Amazing find! Let us not forget that the Goldsmith did have double top stitched pockets, and I believe single top stitched epaulets like this jacket.

They could possibly have worked off of a Goldsmith example to make this jacket.

Regards,
Jay

mulceber

There are some features though that suggest the jacket might be a known contract. Apart from the double-stitched pockets, it's a good match for one of the early Werbers, from what I can see. The leather facing along the zipper on the inside of the jacket only showed up in the SAT contract, the first two Werbers and the first two Aeros.

Last edited:

Roughwear

Just to play devils advocate is everyone sure this jacket really dates to the early 1930s and is not a very clever creation using aged original metal work and leather, which has been carefully aged along with the knits?

John Lever

There are some features though that suggest the jacket might be a known contract. Apart from the double-stitched pockets, it's a good match for one of the early Werbers, from what I can see. The leather facing along the zipper on the inside of the jacket only showed up in the SAT contract, the first two Werbers and the first two Aeros.
Question is why would anyone do that unless it is very valuable ?

mulceber

Amazing find! Let us not forget that the Goldsmith did have double top stitched pockets, and I believe single top stitched epaulets like this jacket.

Regards,
Jay

Ooh, thanks for that, Jay. Since I was working from the Eastman manual, I didn't have access to info on the Goldsmith. As I said in my last post, this jacket also has the inside leather facing along the zipper that was common in the most early contracts. The pocket flaps, meanwhile, aren't as angled as a lot of the other contracts.

Ken at Aero Leather

Regards,
Jay

This one looks a division or two above the Goldsmith in design terms, exceptionally well made, I like the pockets a lot,
Too "miltary" in detail for a private purchase I'd say having seen a couple of Bloomingdales Officers versions way back

Roughwear

I would agree that if this is from 1931/2 it does resemble a Goldsmith A-2 with the double stitched pockets, but the collar stand is narrower than seen on a Goldsmith A-2. It also lacks the leather collar tag seen in this photo and the buttoned pocket flaps.

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 175

Ken at Aero Leather

Just to play devils advocate is everyone sure this jacket really dates to the early 1930s and is not a very clever creation using aged original metal work and leather, which has been carefully aged along with the knits?

if that was the case, surely a far better job would have been done on the label

Roughwear

Yes, it certainly could Ken. The label appears to have been hand sewn on too. I would agree it must post date the pocket flap A-2s.

Skyhawk

This one looks a division or two above the Goldsmith in design terms, exceptionally well made, I like the pockets a lot,
Too "miltary" in detail for a private purchase I'd say having seen a couple of Bloomingdales Officers versions way back

Yes I agree. This would have not been made right after the Goldsmith but still in the 1930's. Possibly after the SAT & first Werber contracts. Maybe A test jacket submission from when they went to the snap pockets?

The pockets look a little Goldsmith inspired but this jacket would have been late made post mid 1930's I would think, based on the other details.

-Jay