• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lewis/Aviakit 'Irvin'

John Lever

I like it but not the price. The materials come from the same tannery as my Custom RAF.
Do they sell these in London ?

havocpaul

Having talked with them previously about custom jackets I think they would make them if requested (bit like Eastman's bike jacket), not advertised here but made in their factory here for the Japanese market. It would also be cheaper but by how much I wouldn't know, worth asking I guess.

John Lever

havocpaul said:
Having talked with them previously about custom jackets I think they would make them if requested (bit like Eastman's bike jacket), not advertised here but made in their factory here for the Japanese market. It would also be cheaper but by how much I wouldn't know, worth asking I guess.
I e-mailed them.

Roughwear

£2,130!!! Mint originals don't sell for this amount. Lovely jacket BTW, but you can buy at least four original late war jackets for the price. :lol:

havocpaul

Remember that's the Jap price, they've had to import it from here in UK, the usual Lewis bike jackets are over a third more in Japan; not saying it won't be prohibitively expensive for most but one thing's for sure, you'll get a top bespoke jacket with pretty much any quirks you might like to add (or remove) to/from your order (they are always happy to remove the Lewis badge from the front of any jacket for instance).

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
deeb7 said:
Incorrigible ...
I would be very surprised it is costs more than £500.
BTW David, thanks for the link to Rakuten, it's nuts !!

You have Paul to thank for that ....

I just said Incorrigible. :?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
I would be very surprised it is costs more than £500.

I've had a look at the site now, the cowhide motorcycle jackets start at £625.00.

havocpaul

They are more expensive than other makers, average £625 for their leather jackets so I would guess this 'Irvin' (or whatever they have to call it due to those idiots at Aviation Leather Craft!) would be nearer £800. They have opened a new showroom/store just off Tottenham Court Rd in London, I plan a visit this month to see what's available and look at their display of vintage jackets from their heritage.

John Lever

Crazy price. The skins for my jacket only cost £100 !!
If the £ slides to below the Euro as predicted, it could well be a bumper year for UK jacket manufacturers.

Roughwear

John Lever said:
If the £ slides to below the Euro as predicted, it could well be a bumper year for UK jacket manufacturers.

True, but not so good if they are importing skins from outside the UK.

John Lever

Roughwear said:
John Lever said:

True, but not so good if they are importing skins from outside the UK.
No, imported horsehide and Capeskin is set to rise in price.
Luckily most of the home based makers use UK skins or UK tanned skins.

John Lever

Reply from Lewis Leathers-

Dear John,

thank you for your enquiry.
The RAF jackets were made 4 or 5 years ago and they are currently not in production,
however we want to make them again and hopefully we may have some available later this year to go with our D Lewis flying boots which are being worked on right now and look great.
*Where did you see the RAF jacket -was it yahoo auctions in Japan?

Kind regards

Derek Harris
Lewis Leathers

havocpaul

They always reply fast, those forthcoming flying boots sound good, I have been looking for a wearable pair of RAF WW2 boots but I have relatively large plates, 10/11.

John Lever

Another e-mail answer -
Hi John,

thank you for your kind comments,
the RAF jacket was modelled on a vintage one I have which was bought at the Lewis shop in 1947 (it came with a receipt), the old shop sold these jackets and they can also be seen in the early 1950's catalogues.
There is some speculation that D Lewis was actually contracted to make them during WW2 and were the name behind the DGL London Ltd labels found in some vintage Irvine jackets, unfortunately I can't confirm if this was the case or not.
Hopefully we can have something available for you to see later this year.

Kind regards
Derek
Lewis Leathers

Roughwear

As pre-War maker of motorcycle gear D.Lewis was ideally placed to make Irvin jackets. If they traded under the DGL TM, which is quite possible, they were responsible for making some of the best quality Irvins from the War.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Lewis Irvins later in the year.

havocpaul

They have a good archive and collection to refer to, they were prolific makers of flying helmets, boots and the like from pre-war and throughout WW2 so makes sense they made Irvins too. I have a collection of their 1950/60's advertisments from various motor cycle magazines of the time, I don't recall seeing Irvin style jackets but there are flying boots and a variety of leather jackets. Other advertisers at the time were Pride and Clarke of Stockwell, Claude Rye of Fulham London and Northern Mail Order Co. who offered US Field Jackets (M-43/M-51 types), ex-RN Submarine jackets, despatch riders army coats, jeep coats, tank suits (all ex-MOD) and sheepskin flying jackets that are from chrome leather, sheepskin-lined and look from the illustrations very much like those jackets that are too often described as RAF Irvins on eBay but are in fact civvie copies (have the belt high on the waist). Those old bike mags are full of fascinating ads for vintage jackets.