• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's see your old Eastman RAF jackets

John Lever

I know that there are several here like me that love the old ten year plus jackets so why not post some photos and a brief description of the date they were bought/sold or made.
I'll kick off -
My very most fav. jacket of all time sadly now residing somewhere in Canada, I think Rick also regrets selling it. 20 years old ?
MerinoIrvin005.jpg

MerinoIrvin002.jpg

A younger jacket probably 15 years old, more worn nice fleece, not Merino-
07112009094.jpg

07112009095.jpg

A 20 years plus size 40 Merino , too small so sold -
IMGP3381.jpg

IMGP3382.jpg

The jacket I sold to Paddy, now belonging to Shiloh or is it Paul ?

jackets013.jpg

A darker type jacket with the russet seam tape and slightly odd fleece colour, sold as it was too small -
IMGP3275.jpg

IMGP3276.jpg

A lovely worn out Merino size 48 sold -
IMGP3655.jpg

IMGP3656.jpg

IMGP3657.jpg

My current 'Best ' jacket, a 17 year old semi Merino one -
IMGP3313.jpg

IMGP3315.jpg

IMGP3312.jpg

Roughwear

Wow John! I knew you love the early ELC RAF jackets, but had no idea you have owned quite so many! BTW. How can a jacket be semi Merino? Do you mean it is close to Merino fleece?

philip.ed

Some lovely jackets. I notice, on the areas were there is light surface cracking, there are light undertones. Is this correct to original jackets? I've never seen it before ;)

Roughwear

philip.ed said:
Some lovely jackets. I notice, on the areas were there is light surface cracking, there are light undertones. Is this correct to original jackets? I've never seen it before ;)

It is particularly noticeable on some of the spray finished B-3s and Irvins. The light undertones are from the original pre-coloured skin.

John Lever

Andrew I have a few ...I really do like them as you can see. I find it interesting how over the years, Eastman have searched for new hides as an improvement but always state that the current spec. is the correct one. This has led to quite a large variation in fleece type and colour as well as differing colours and sheen levels of the acrylic outer coat.
My current ' best ' jacket is nearly there but the leather is quite robust when compared to the ones like the size 48 with the very worn look. That jacket is shirt like in it's softness.
Regarding the cracking of the outer coating, this happens on the merino jackets that usually have a thin shiny brittle outer coat.
IMO the older the better.

Grant

And I thought I was crazy about Irvins. You've had a number of beautiful ELC jackets go through your hands. I agree the latest one you have is quite nice. If you ever decide to upgrade you know who to call! Thanks for posting.

Andrew

I suspect even i'd be happy with one of these in a 46. Why the heck can't they just go back to this style of fleece?

John Lever

Nice one Rich.
It's interesting how quickly the cuffs wear, does this bother you ?
Come one there must be others out there !

shiloh

Just 2 Irvins,

The ELC Merino one,

IMG_2094.jpg

IMG_2086-1.jpg

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2095-1.jpg

And the size 44 ELC one I bought from Paddy, unfortunately too big for me.

paddyirvin.jpg

Regards,

Shiloh
quote="John Lever"]Nice one Rich.
Come one there must be others out there ![/quote]

rich

John Lever said:
Nice one Rich.

Doesn't really bother me John, it does seem inconsistent though - the cuffs on my 70-odd year old Irvin are in much better shape, and I'm guessing they took a much bigger beating than this one ever has.

Andrew

These all look great, Rich as usual your worn jackets are superb.

JL, in all your discussions with the Eastmans have you discussed why they have diverged from this style of production? They say they are striving for more authenticity but in the process it appears to be going a different direction.

rich

I cheated a bit with this one Andrew, I had help from John Lever and his nefarious washing machine technique - it works a treat.

John Lever

Andrew said:
These all look great, Rich as usual your worn jackets are superb.

JL, in all your discussions with the Eastmans have you discussed why they have diverged from this style of production? They say they are striving for more authenticity but in the process it appears to be going a different direction.

Don't even go there. They will not make any jackets like these they are committed to the new types of hide. They changed tanneries a while back and also tell me that they had problems with the durability of softer hides.
At one point I had an idea of a mass Merino order by fellow members but there was little interest.
The only hope is Lewis Leathers, I think Derek want to use Merino skins for the Aviakit jacket, so fingers crossed.

asiamiles

gyrobroyeur said:
... The oversizing is not so evident on your picture...

Especially as Irvins were issued oversized - right? - so that they could be worn over uniform. The Irvin is a fairly forgiving jacket, and I think looks fine either fitted or loose.

shiloh

Yes, this Irvin is the right size according to WW2 standards. I can wear a BD or SD blouse underneath it. But, ofcourse nowadays no one wears a service dress underneath a repro Irvin. So it's a bit too loose on me.
I am looking for an older ELC 42 pattern. Regular size 42. I am sure that will fit me better.

regards,

shiloh

asiamiles said:
gyrobroyeur said:
... The oversizing is not so evident on your picture...

Especially as Irvins were issued oversized - right? - so that they could be worn over uniform. The Irvin is a fairly forgiving jacket, and I think looks fine either fitted or loose.

John Lever

I have an identical jacket. It 's a mint merino B-3, this one sold for £450, more than the new price. The Anj-4 sold for £500.