• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather belts.

jeremiah

Dave,
Your belt is ready.
8FCC464F-2E77-40FC-BBB2-768053FC361D.jpeg

jeremiah

That one there is Burts.
His belt will be Black. This leather takes dye unlike normal veg tanned natural. Harness leather is stuffed with tallows and waxes after the tanning process (usually in a drum) and this gives it the durability, elemental resistance and protection needed in equestrian applications while still allowing for the flex you would lose if straight veg tanned were exposed to so much.

because of this the dye sinks in areas more so than others and gives it a nice weathered look while still looking good.
makes for a great belt.

Grant

While down in San Maguel de Allende, Mexico I found this silversmith making hand tooled sterling silver buckles. She made this for me and attached an old garrison belt I had.

BELT4.jpg

Kanaro

By the way, I can tell those who are looking for where you can buy great things made of genuine leather. A store where there are cool handcrafted leather wallets really helped me. I really hope that I was able to help someone, the prices there are low, and the quality is at the highest level.

jeremiah

While I would never try and knock another leather worker I will say that I can buy a hide of “crazy horse” leather for under $100.
now let’s say one can get 20 or so wallets made using that one hide at $40 a pop.
the hide I buy for the harness leather belts runs between $350 to $400 for the hide. I might be able to get 15 good belts from that hide all depending upon how wide they all are. Good belts can only be cut from the back and closer to the belly the leather gets too stretchy so lots of waste on a hide utilized for belts.
See the difference?

jeremiah

Hey guys.
buckles I offer what you would like. Some options are shown in above pics.
What I have begun doing is ordering the buckle the customer wants when I get the belt order. I have in the past bought buckles in bulk that currently are not a very good match with the heavier leathers I use now.
So much easier with amazon too.

that said. I will be moving over the next few days and will have a few weeks where I’ll be in limbo as it were. I’ll get back here when I can get to making a few more belts.

Last edited: