• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L-2B vs MA-1

Greg Gale

Hah! Thanks for sharing. Due to the quality/ colors of the photo and the angle he's standing, I wouldn't have realized he was wearing an A-2. It's a quite dark one too. Maybe a re-dyed one?

Smithy

Almost certainly a redye Greg. Sorry about the quality of the scan, by the looks of it I must have done it late at night with the lights turned off!

Here's Salter wearing his at Kimpo. The guy standing next to Salter is James Low, the inspiration for Pell in "The Hunters".

fmZCbvB.jpg

falcon_ib

36thFBS_May1953.jpg

L-2 seen with the 36th FBS in May, 1953

51stFIW16thFIS_BuzzAldrin.jpg

Buzz Aldrin of the 16th FIS/51st FIG displaying his beautiful patched L-2A in 1953

437thFIS_1958.jpg

Not a color picture but one of my favorite mid-50s L-2B portraits (note how he's tucked one of the pocket flaps into the pocket, as well as the uncommon black cloth name tape)

Cocker

Almost certainly a redye Greg. Sorry about the quality of the scan, by the looks of it I must have done it late at night with the lights turned off!

Seen the color and the USAAF roundel on the shoulder, it's 100% sure it's a depot re-dye indeed!

watchmanjimg

Certainly an L-2B (although the photo is black and white the "tell" is the nylon oxygen mask tab on the chest vs. the L-2's leather tab), and the intermediate jacket is either a very early Lion Uniform MA-1 or possibly a B-15D (modified). It's hard to tell from the photo.

An L-2B and an MA-1 if I'm not mistaken:

afw001025.jpg

watchmanjimg

Some claim that L-2Bs made it to Korea before the end of the conflict but I wouldn't bet anything valuable on this without more information. The intermediate MA-1 was very common during Vietnam but given its weight I'm not sure many were actually worn there; however, the L-2B was commonly used by Army and Air Force personnel in Vietnam and thereafter until replaced by the Nomex CWU series.

I've never owned an L-2B but I'd really like to buy either one of those, or an MA-1. Question is, how warm are L2B-s compared to an A-2 for example? Which one would be the more practical choice if I own an A-2, a G-1 and an Irvin?

Am I mistaken or L2B-s were typical in the Korean war, and the MA-1 in te late 50s and Vietnam?

Thanks!

TB2AN9nmB8kpuFjSspeXXc7IpXa_!!402161893.jpg

TB2i5ypcsaK.eBjSspjXXXL.XXa_!!600915970.jpg

falcon_ib

MA-1's in Vietnam are commonly seen with 101st Airborne and 1st Cavalry Airmobile helicopter pilots based in the chilly central highlands, where L-2B's are also seen. Photos are from VHPA online museum

B troop:2:17thCav101stABN_1969_1.jpg

Bill Russel, B Troop 2/17 Cav 101st ABN 1969

C:2:17_L-2B_RickSchwab.jpg

C/2/17

pic27.jpg

W.O. Byron 'Crash' Grubbs C/2/17

XDalat_Oct70.JPG

Michael Russel, Da Lat 1970

watchmanjimg

MA-1's in Vietnam are commonly seen with 101st Airborne and 1st Cavalry Airmobile helicopter pilots based in the chilly central highlands, where L-2B's are also seen. Photos are from VHPA online museum

View attachment 10564
Bill Russel, B Troop 2/17 Cav 101st ABN 1969

View attachment 10565
C/2/17

pic27.jpg

W.O. Byron 'Crash' Grubbs C/2/17

XDalat_Oct70.JPG

Michael Russel, Da Lat 1970

Great pictures, but these are all L-2Bs. Do you have any actual Vietnam MA-1 photos?

falcon_ib

Apologies for the first two L-2Bs, but the pictures of Grubbs and Russel in country appear to be MA-1s

watchmanjimg

Apologies for the first two L-2Bs, but the pictures of Grubbs and Russel in country appear to be MA-1s

No apology necessary of course, this is just an exchange of information. Aside from the lighter construction, the absence of a windflap identifies all of these as L-2Bs (particularly obvious in the last photo with the jacket completely unzipped). I'm not saying the MA-1 was never worn in Vietnam, but I have yet to see a single original photo proving it.

colekwok

Here are a comparison of a B15D(Mod) and two different L-2Bs here which I did just for fun a while ago.;)

The B15D (mod) is almost identical to the early MA-1 where as the two L-2Bs may have some years apart, but certainly from the later contracts. I have a very early version of L-2b but I haven't taken any picture of it. The B15D is a size 38 while the 2 L-2Bs are medium.

Attachments

• B15D_L2B.jpg
    B15D_L2B.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 599