• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L-2B vs MA-1

Greg Gale

I've never owned an L-2B but I'd really like to buy either one of those, or an MA-1. Question is, how warm are L2B-s compared to an A-2 for example? Which one would be the more practical choice if I own an A-2, a G-1 and an Irvin?

Am I mistaken or L2B-s were typical in the Korean war, and the MA-1 in te late 50s and Vietnam?

Thanks!

TB2AN9nmB8kpuFjSspeXXc7IpXa_!!402161893.jpg

TB2i5ypcsaK.eBjSspjXXXL.XXa_!!600915970.jpg

B-Man2

Greg:
I have an L2-B repro. The one I have is a Chinese repro unlined. It’s more like a nylon wind breaker, but it looks good with a t-shirt and a pair of jeans on a breazy evening with a slight chill in the air. In colder weather I throw on a sweater underneath it and I’m good to go.

Greg Gale

Greg:
I have an L2-B repro. The one I have is a Chinese repro unlined. It’s more like a nylon wind breaker, but it looks good with a t-shirt and a pair of jeans on a breazy evening with a slight chill in the air. In colder weather I throw on a sweater underneath it and I’m good to go.

Thanks Burt! So you'd say it's lighter than an A-2? I guess it could be a substitute for a denim jacket? The MA-1 falls between the Irvin and the G-1 in my experience, so a lighter winter jacket. I may be better off with that one, then.

Cocker

Hey Greg!

The L-2 is somewhat the same as an A-2, a good windbreaker as Burt said, but that's it. It's not much more practical, as it only has the 2 hand warmer pockets, but, IMO, it's always good to have a good nylon windbreaker you can stuff anywhere easily without thinking too much about damaging it.

It was widely used in hot climates, you'll find both L-2 (olive drab) and L-2A (AF blue) in use in Korea. I think the L-2B (sage green) was also used in Korea, late in the war, but was seen until the end of the 70s in different iterations. The last ones were sage green with orange lining, no zipper box, and no epaulets. So yeah, basically, an L-2A would be emblematic of the Korean war, while an L-2B would represent more the Cold War and Vietnam War.

Brent

The MA-1 is an intermediate flight jacket. Mine is a 1964 so it has 58% wool 42% cotton lining. It warm however the back length is shorter than most A-2s and the sleeves are puffy. Look at the sleeves on the guy in forth picture you posted.
The L-2 is a "Jacket, Flying, Light" and as others mentioned it is a great windbreaker. I would recommend having both in your collection. I don't wear the MA-1 as much since getting the N-1.
Confused yet?

Regards,

unclegrumpy

Greg, note Brent's comment about the shorter back length, and look at the guy on the left in your photo from "The Hunters". That guy's jacket could be a blue MA-1, B-15c, or a B-15 modified, which I am not smart enough to tell. The next contracts moving into the mid 1950's tend to be even shorter in the back. That is because these jackets were meant to worn over flight suits not shirts and ties like A-2's.

I think when you start to look at period photos you will notice this, and how sometimes guys then chose to go a size up to get more body length (note the Captain in the WRS cap). This is a factor in looking at a jacket to wear. Your torso length can be an issue, because if you are long in that department, some of these jackets will ride up above your belt line....especially in the back.

Flightengineer

Greg, I sold my Skyline L2B 1964 (medium size) year ago precisely because of the short length (I very rarely wear flight overalls ;) ).
With jeans and chinos L2B was extremely short for my height.
MA longer.

Smithy

Watching this film right now, amazing attention to the uniforms and other small details.

Whilst the film is fantastic for the Sabre footage and the clobber, the storyline is a bloody insult to the novel it is "based" on. James Salter (he was born James Horowitz and flew a tour in the Korean War with the 335th FIS) wrote the book, "The Hunters" and it is spectacular, it is semi-autobiographical and just stunningly well written. His "Gods of Tin" which is a collection of his writings about flying is well worth picking up as well. Actually anything Salter wrote is pure gold.

MeachamLake

To sum it up for you:

- The L-2 series of jackets are very lightweight and are essentially windbreakers. They run quite big to size.
- Original MA-1 jackets are much thicker and heavier than people often assume - particularly when compared to modern "fashion" MA-1 interpretations. The wool batting is very warm and not exactly lightweight.

Regarding length, the Buzz Rickson repros are definitely slightly longer than originals, at least in my experience.

Brent

I should have noted my L-2 is a Buzz and that's probably why I can get away wearing it. I'm 6 ' - 2 " and long in the torso so the MA-1 will ride up all the time.

Regards,

Dubpynchon

Whilst the film is fantastic for the Sabre footage and the clobber, the storyline is a bloody insult to the novel it is "based" on. James Salter (he was born James Horowitz and flew a tour in the Korean War with the 335th FIS) wrote the book, "The Hunters" and it is spectacular, it is semi-autobiographical and just stunningly well written. His "Gods of Tin" which is a collection of his writings about flying is well worth picking up as well. Actually anything Salter wrote is pure gold.
Especially the second half when Robert Mitchum crashes his F-86 into a field as calmly as if he’s parking at Sainsburys!

Greg Gale

Yeah, the movie has nothing to do with the book...oh well, it has some nice footages of Sabres and flying jackets :)

Thanks for all the input, now it's quite clear what the difference is, and that it's the MA-1 I need. A winter jacket for when it's too warm for an Irvin.

Smithy

That's an L-2a Greg. The blue jackets are quintessentially connected with the Korean War although it was here that it was quickly discovered that trying to evade capture in the scrubby landscape around the Yalu in a shiny dark blue jacket wan't the best choice.

Don't forget A-2s were worn a lot by aircrew in Korea and Jabby became the first jet on jet ace wearing his old A-2 (I posted a colour photo on here someplace a year or two back).