• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L-2B vs MA-1

watchmanjimg

Here are a comparison of a B15D(Mod) and two different L-2Bs here which I did just for fun a while ago.;)

The B15D (mod) is almost identical to the early MA-1 where as the two L-2Bs may have some years apart, but certainly from the later contracts. I have a very early version of L-2b but I haven't taken any picture of it. The B15D is a size 38 while the 2 L-2Bs are medium.

watchmanjimg

Here are a comparison of a B15D(Mod) and two different L-2Bs here which I did just for fun a while ago.;)

The B15D (mod) is almost identical to the early MA-1 where as the two L-2Bs may have some years apart, but certainly from the later contracts. I have a very early version of L-2b but I haven't taken any picture of it. The B15D is a size 38 while the 2 L-2Bs are medium.

Is the B-15D an original with that embroidery? The L-2B in the middle is a commercial Alpha. The example at right looks correct and would be from a 1970 or later contract.

colekwok

Is the B-15D an original with that embroidery? The L-2B in the middle is a commercial Alpha. The example at right looks correct and would be from a 1970 or later contract.

I got the jacket with the embroidery already there. I presume it was done by the vet who owned it and probably did it after his tour. I am pretty sure the (Mod) tag look authentic to me. I have no idea about the origin of the middle L2-B, I have to go back and check the tag.

watchmanjimg

I got the jacket with the embroidery already there. I presume it was done by the vet who owned it and probably did it after his tour. I am pretty sure the (Mod) tag look authentic to me. I have no idea about the origin of the middle L2-B, I have to go back and check the tag.

I wasn't doubting the authenticity of the D, just curious as it's very interesting with that setup. The aluminum zipper coupled with epaulets and no waist tab is a giveaway that the middle L-2B is commercial as no issued version was produced in that configuration. Aluminum zippers replaced the blackened type in 1970 and were used exclusively thereafter. Epaulets were gone after Fiscal year 1964-65 on issued models.

colekwok

I wasn't doubting the authenticity of the D, just curious as it's very interesting with that setup. The aluminum zipper coupled with epaulets and no waist tab is a giveaway that the middle L-2B is commercial as no issued version was produced in that configuration. Aluminum zippers replaced the blackened type in 1970 and were used exclusively thereafter. Epaulets were gone after Fiscal year 1964-65 on issued models.

Oh well, I always have doubt about this B-15D here, because the condition of the jacket is somehow too good to be an authentic one. When I acquired it it was purely just for fun. As for the middle L-2B, I can't recall how much I pay for that, but it was dirt cheap anyway and was intended to be worn. The trouble is that the jacket is really really short.

watchmanjimg

If you're able to post more detailed photos of the B-15D including the label we may be able to sort it out further.

colekwok

If you're able to post more detailed photos of the B-15D including the label we may be able to sort it out further.

This is a funny label from the B15D, no black/blue tag behind the white tag. I thought this might be a possible repro? The two zippers are actually Talon, which I have not seen before on any B15D.

Attachments

• 20181028_004109.jpg
    20181028_004109.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 391

watchmanjimg

This is a funny label from the B15D, no black/blue tag behind the white tag. I thought this might be a possible repro? The two zippers are actually Talon, which I have not seen before on any B15D.

I have a known original with just the white label but yours appears to be a repro given the incorrect "Modifyed" spelling if nothing else. Also, I believe zippers on an original should be either Crown or Conmar.

Last edited:

colekwok

I have a known original with just the white label but yours appears to be a repro given the incorrect "Modifyed" spelling if nothing else. Also, I believe zippers on an original should be either Crown or Conmar.

Well, true, never noticed that tiny 'Modifyed' spelling. haha. I got it for cheap, but seems like an odd repro to me, actually very good quality.

Greg Gale

BAck to the original question: I’m moving to Bali Indonesia soon. Would it make sense to buy an L2B? It’s very humid and 25-26 degrees at night.

Last edited:

Pilot

Hi Greg,
staying in tropical countries and SEA for 3-5 months per year...yes! thats one jacket you can wear there. The A-2 over a T-shirt is also OK.
Have fun there...great place.

Last edited:

Greg Gale

Thank you Brice. The Bronson page specifies "5-15 degrees" - that may be a bit too warm I guess. I think I'll stick to my Levi's denim jacket, and if after a couple of months there I still want an L-2B, I'll have it shipped there.

Pilot

Hi Greg,
I wore my GW LW FOSTER L 2A in Vietnam ( Saigon) last time in the evening, was perfect. Temps in Bali, Nusa (or Kuta, Legian where the fun is ) are similiar to Saigon, but in Bali you always have a sea breeze...not in Saigon.
Older BR or RMC-J L-2a or b’s are even lighter hence more comfortable to wear.
When are you moving? I am in Jakarta for a week or so in the next few days.

Last edited: