• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Korean war F-86 pilot

watchmanjimg

Chandler said:
watchmanjimg said:
I believe the foregoing refers to the M1938 shoe (with its full leather outsole) being superseded by the M1942 version with leather midsole and rubber heel/half sole. However, there was a later version with full rubber outsole, some of which lack the toe cap. While this thread doesn't depict the exact shoe Franck has, it does convey a notion of how many variants exist:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... il-me-now/

I've never seen the smooth leather shoe/boot without a toe-cap, at least not between 1940 and 1945 -- haven't paid attention otherwise.

Here's the full link of info I quoted from and there's not much mention of the low boot after the double-buckle boot was introduced:
http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_cloth ... eshoes.php

watchmanjimg said:
I'm with you there. They've got to be either WW2-produced shoes with Korean-era inspection stamps, or were produced under an Air Force contract during the transition period.

It's interesting that at Olive-Drab there is info on the differences between the WW2 paratrooper boot an the 1948 boot that resembles it so much. One of the differences they talk about is that the WW2 boot isn't dated, while the '48 has both dating and contract info. Not sure this answers the question on the boot in the thread, but it seems unlikely the army or air force would take the time to go back and re-stamp old boots.

The overstamping isn't a theory--I currently own a pair of M43s with 1951 dates stamped over the original markings. As far as information posted on Olive-Drab.com, I'd hardly consider it tantamount to a Bible of militaria although some of the material is useful as a starting point for research. Some WW2 jump boots were indeed dated as I've owned an original pair, but many were privately purchased from commercial companies and these are less likely to have been dated. The M48 boot was fully standardized for general issue and as such was properly (and conspicuously) marked.

Chandler

watchmanjimg said:
The overstamping isn't a theory--I currently own a pair of M43s with 1951 dates stamped over the original markings.

I was just speculating based on the time and effort it would take to re-process all those boots -- forgot to factor in useless military edicts and procedures that happen because it rolls down hill.

As far as information posted on Olive-Drab.com, I'd hardly consider it tantamount to a Bible of militaria although some of the material is useful as a starting point for research.

Never considered it the "Bible," but the guy has done a lot of homework. And yeah, it's probably as accurate as anything online -- including enthusiast chat forums. 50/50.

Some WW2 jump boots were indeed dated as I've owned an original pair, but many were privately purchased from commercial companies and these are less likely to have been dated.

As I've only ever had an original pair of M-48s (my uncle's 2 pairs that my father "cleaned out" of the family basement and I haven't seen since about 1978) I can't comment with any authority, and about all I remember is the Cat's Paw heels, with the full rubber sole, and that they were damned cold in the winter.

But I have to say that this is the first I've ever heard of "private purchase" Jump Boots. There have been plenty of stories of jump boots being black-marketed and "procured" by those not worthy, but I've never heard of anyone going as far as having a pair made up custom. Anything's possible, of course.

watchmanjimg

Chandler said:
But I have to say that this is the first I've ever heard of "private purchase" Jump Boots. There have been plenty of stories of jump boots being black-marketed and "procured" by those not worthy, but I've never heard of anyone going as far as having a pair made up custom. Anything's possible, of course.

There were many commercially-branded jump boots available during WW2 and thereafter. Corcoran, Herman, Red Wing, and assorted other makers produced them and they were purchased privately as well as issued. The original pair I owned were stamped with "LITE 1944" inside one boot and "1945" in the other (the boots were matched as to size and condition but obviously were not originally issued as a pair). Lite Industries was (is?) a well-known government contractor for many years.

unclegrumpy

During WW II, virtually all of the paratrooper boots that were worn were issued. They were a specific Airborne uniform item, and something that one had to earn the right to wear. Paratroopers took great pride in their boots, and did not tolerate non jump qualified personnel wearing them.

There were wartime private purchase boots, but they were almost exclusively worn by paratroopers....mostly officers. That was because you had to buy them, and why would you do that if you could just get a new pair issued to you?

After the war things loosened up, eventually to the point of the Army adopting the paratrooper style boot for everyone. Most of the Corcoran, Herman, and assorted other maker boots I have encountered that were still with the rest of a non airborne veteran's group, were from men who served in the Occupation or Korean War.

Here is a wartime Bill Mauldin cartoon that I think illustrates this:

index.php

bebel

Gentlemen,
All I can do is sharing this picture of poor quality (very difficult to take a picture from the date!). But I read July 19, 1951. Am I misreading? Perhaps would it be not the year?
Franck

watchmanjimg

Franck, you're reading correctly. Your boots definitely show 1951 dates, but we're trying to figure how that came to be. Once again, your entire ensemble is fantastic and these rare boots only sweeten the pot.

bebel

Thank you for all researches you did both with Chandler. Some of us would like to know the final word of this shoes story...
Franck

Chandler

unclegrumpy said:
Here is a wartime Bill Mauldin cartoon that I think illustrates this:

index.php

I just dug up this same cartoon to post here -- of course, the officers in question probably had their boots custom-made in Naples. ;)

MauldinParatroopers.jpg

And for what it's worth, Mauldin received a brand-new pair of jump boots from the Airborne (not the 101st, BTW, but the 82nd -- IIRC) for this cartoon. He claims that he was sort of embarrassed to have them, and only wore them when "no one was looking," but there are a lot of pics with him wearing them!

Chandler

unclegrumpy said:
There were wartime private purchase boots, but they were almost exclusively worn by paratroopers....mostly officers. That was because you had to buy them, and why would you do that if you could just get a new pair issued to you?

Not to mention there was a "war on" and rationing of everything from food to clothes was tantamount. Sure, those other manufacturers made boots, but they made them for military contract -- just like Rough Wear, Aero, Werber, Donniger... Corcoran wasn't the only jump boot maker.

Chandler

bebel said:
Some of us would like to know the final word of this shoes story...

Most certainly -- I have no doubt that there many configurations of QM stores and distribution -- my father went into the army in 1953 and was issued the herringbone twill set of fatigues that was on the verge of being discontinued. The 48 boots I found from my uncle's stash looked so much like paratrooper boots that it was a thrill to my 17 year-old, WW2 history laden mind that I even jumped in them from the garage roof to get the feel of hitting the ground from a real jump! Imagine my feeling when I found out the jump boot had been "recreated" for all and these weren't the same as what the 101st slogged through Northern Europe.

Okay, I found out almost 30 years later, and it wasn't such a huge deal, but you get the drift -- ;)