• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Korean war F-86 pilot

bebel

Hi all
Not working this afternoon and rains over us. So, I had time to make some photos. I hope you enjoyed seeing them.
Franck

- Blue G-4A anti-g suit
- USN Mk-2 mae west (well worn by some USAF jockeys)
- Squadron baseball cap
- G-2 sunglasses
- Scarf
- US Army service brown shoes ( these are 1951 dated)
- Backstyle parachute, Automatic (7024-50C-9)
- P-3 helmet and MS-22001 mask
- L-2A flight jacket (with post-war 4th FIW/334th FIS patches)
- B-3A gloves

piloteusafg4a003.jpg
piloteusafg4a004.jpg

piloteusafg4a008.jpg
piloteusafg4a011.jpg

piloteusafg4a019.jpg
piloteusafg4a017.jpg

piloteusafg4a030.jpg
piloteusafg4a032.jpg

oose

Amazing stuff Franck, you raise it to a new level!
When will you get an F-86?
I'm sure he's got one of those old French F-84's in the hanger! :D

Deeply envious!

All the best
stu

ausreenactor

oose said:
Amazing stuff Franck, you raise it to a new level!
When will you get an F-86?
I'm sure he's got one of those old French F-84's in the hanger! :D

Deeply envious!

All the best
stu

Love the F-84! More appealing than the F-86 for me...

Awesome pics, you have some impressive gear!

Couchy

bebel

Here's one. I cannot make a good photo of the label. So, I write it under.

BROWN SHOE 5X (x = not legible)
91/2E C-21553
CONTRACT DA30-280QM18715
JULY 19, 1951 N.Y. OMPO (or OMRO)

Soles are made with rubber by BF Goodrich.

Hope this help.

Franck

bebel

39th FIS pilots in Korea with Lt Eichenberg at the left wearing a blue G-4A and an USN MK-2 mae west with his hunting knife in the flare pocket. Interesting to see that three over the four pilots were using this USN life preserver. Also note the newly K-2B flight suit on both two men in middle. The second pilot from the left is wearing his knife under the USAF B-5 vest.
Franck

Phantomfixer

Quote "Interesting to see that three over the four pilots were using this USN life preserver"
I have wondered about the B-5 as a useful mae west. They look too small...The navy vest looks like they have larger...ah...bladders....

ausreenactor

jzist said:
Quote "Interesting to see that three over the four pilots were using this USN life preserver"
I have wondered about the B-5 as a useful mae west. They look too small...The navy vest looks like they have larger...ah...bladders....

Are you taking the..piss? ;)

Chandler

bebel said:

91/2E C-21553
CONTRACT DA30-280QM18715

They don't have the 2-piece soles as they did earlier, have to wonder if they weren't specific issue to certain branches.

watchmanjimg

Chandler said:
bebel said:

91/2E C-21553
CONTRACT DA30-280QM18715

They don't have the 2-piece soles as they did earlier, have to wonder if they weren't specific issue to certain branches.

I'm glad you brought this up as I've been thinking about it myself. By 1951 this type of service shoe had been superseded by at least 3 designs and was no longer standard Army issue. It's possible these were part of the early transitional USAF uniform ensemble, but if so it's surprising that new contracts for brown footgear were deemed necessary as the blue uniform with its black accessories was being phased in.

I'd have to research a bit more, but I believe there was a variant of the WW2 smooth leather service shoe with a full rubber sole. For what it's worth, I own a pair of M43 double-buckle boots with a Korean-era inspection stamp over the original nomenclature. That's one possible explanation of the date on these.

Whatever their origin, these are fairly rare.

Chandler

watchmanjimg said:
I'd have to research a bit more, but I believe there was a variant of the WW2 smooth leather service shoe with a full rubber sole.

Further research yields confirmation. From Olive-Drab.com:

The World War II combat boot design evolved from the service shoes used with leggings. The Model 1939 "Shoes, Service, Composition Sole" was an ankle high shoe/boot made of tanned leather in a dark red color, originally with leather soles, changed to rubber soles after 1940.

But still, the 1951 date on these examples is curious.

watchmanjimg

Chandler said:
watchmanjimg said:
I'd have to research a bit more, but I believe there was a variant of the WW2 smooth leather service shoe with a full rubber sole.

Further research yields confirmation. From Olive-Drab.com:

The World War II combat boot design evolved from the service shoes used with leggings. The Model 1939 "Shoes, Service, Composition Sole" was an ankle high shoe/boot made of tanned leather in a dark red color, originally with leather soles, changed to rubber soles after 1940.

I believe the foregoing refers to the M1938 shoe (with its full leather outsole) being superseded by the M1942 version with leather midsole and rubber heel/half sole. However, there was a later version with full rubber outsole, some of which lack the toe cap. While this thread doesn't depict the exact shoe Franck has, it does convey a notion of how many variants exist:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... il-me-now/

Chandler said:
But still, the 1951 date on these examples is curious.

I'm with you there. They've got to be either WW2-produced shoes with Korean-era inspection stamps, or were produced under an Air Force contract during the transition period. I Googled the contract number without success, but that's likely where our answer lies.

Chandler

watchmanjimg said:
I believe the foregoing refers to the M1938 shoe (with its full leather outsole) being superseded by the M1942 version with leather midsole and rubber heel/half sole. However, there was a later version with full rubber outsole, some of which lack the toe cap. While this thread doesn't depict the exact shoe Franck has, it does convey a notion of how many variants exist:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... il-me-now/

I've never seen the smooth leather shoe/boot without a toe-cap, at least not between 1940 and 1945 -- haven't paid attention otherwise.

Here's the full link of info I quoted from and there's not much mention of the low boot after the double-buckle boot was introduced:
http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_cloth ... eshoes.php

watchmanjimg said:
I'm with you there. They've got to be either WW2-produced shoes with Korean-era inspection stamps, or were produced under an Air Force contract during the transition period.

It's interesting that at Olive-Drab there is info on the differences between the WW2 paratrooper boot an the 1948 boot that resembles it so much. One of the differences they talk about is that the WW2 boot isn't dated, while the '48 has both dating and contract info. Not sure this answers the question on the boot in the thread, but it seems unlikely the army or air force would take the time to go back and re-stamp old boots.