• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jerome Urbaniak

ausreenactor

deeb7 said:
..... and Couchy quietly waits.

Squeak....

Would love the jacket back.. hyped it up to my peers while deployed to the
desert, they are still waiting...

And as stated...keen on pics!!

Jaguar46

This thread saddens me a bit, as I have seen Jeromes work first hand, and it is superb, the best I have seen (I admit, I have not seen many) and he would be someone I would have do a jacket paint job for me. But now I am reluctant.

ausreenactor

Renewed the hunt for the jacket on 28 Sep with phone calls and messages left referring the Urbaniaks to the emails I had sent and forum PMs. Have been trying the phone since then. Spoke to Jerome's wife twice today. I think I am officially getting the cold shoulder. I am sure if the jacket has been lost, damaged or more we could work something out. It is officially irking me now. I have been more abiding than most would be. I expressed a desire to get the jacket back when we spoke 18 months ago; however, Jerome assured me he would get cracking. The passing of Jerome's father was a tragic event. I would like to have had the jacket done and down to my father before his cerebral issues get worse.

If anyone close to Jerome could perhaps relay my intent it would be greatly appreciated. Those not connected to Jerome in any way, could you suggest any legal recourses in the states. In Australia a Solicitor would issue a letter of demand. Being here and the 'grievance' there could cause issues. If I sold the possession or rights to the jacket to a US buyer, with the location nominated in the sale, would that put the legal slant as a legitimate US affair? The ELC Air Comfort is well over US$1000 now and it was a hefty jacket that I really liked. I just want to pay Jerome for the work done to date, regardless of the level of completion, and get it shipped home. There are plenty here who could pick up the ball and run with it....

Any input greatly appreciated.

Couchy

A

Anonymous

Maybe you can hire a local solicitor to pick it up, do you have a current address?

a2jacketpatches

Does Jerome still have a web site? I'd like to see how he was doing things along with his prices etc. so I can determine if jacket painting will be an option in my store. I've heard that he was charging very reasonable prices for his outstanding work, 300 to 400 bucks, very reasonable for the buyer but could easily burn out a painter and I'm wondering if this is what happened to the guy. If too many jobs piled up on him because of his low pricing, the bills etc. may have gotten out of control and his time these days is spent on survival. Just a thought, I've been there.

I'm teaming up with a very talented painter (jbmilart) and toying with the idea of authentic reproduction A2 painting. Have heard countless comments concerning overdone paintings, criticizing airbrush etc. So maybe the simple approach as done back in the day might be worth while. I'm thinking a job done as good as Jerome is worth a thousand bucks, and I get that for one of my "overdone" airbrush jobs, but it is modern art. However, for 300 - 400 bucks, a fairly simple but well done piece of folk art can be had from my shop. In other words, done like back in the day with limited shading and highlighting. And done in oil based paints if you so desire. They would age as the originals did.

Just looking for some input from a consumer point of view. I've been compared to Jerome as far as pricing goes, and I can certainly use a paint brush, but couldn't bury myself with such detailed painting for short money just to get the jobs. I actually quoted a guy 800- once, and he came back with "Jerome will put all the paint you want on a jacket for 300 - 400 bucks" he was nice about it and I just said to myself "well he can corner the market I've got plenty else to do" But it seems there's an opening now. So any thoughts?

a2jacketpatches

Definitely excellent work, but at 300 to 400 bucks, if that's the case, should be a two day job if he wants to stay in business, especially with his skill level. Otherwise it's just a labor of love. A job comparable to his Diabolical Angel, same detail, using paintbrush, would require about 3 straight eight hour days at 40 bucks an hour minimum from me.

CBI

I communicated with Jerome a number of times on the old forum. He told me that most of his customers prefer a more modern rendition of artwork and that few ever want any aging or a vintage style of work. He also does not like to do aged work on a new jacket. He is able (for the most part) to reproduce the old folk art style but doesn't get the requests. In any case, there have been so many customers who have had to wait so long and had such communication issues, etc. that I would shy away from recommending him - as nice and as skilled a guy as he is.

a2jacketpatches

CBI said:
I communicated with Jerome a number of times on the old forum. He told me that most of his customers prefer a more modern rendition of artwork and that few ever want any aging or a vintage style of work. He also does not like to do aged work on a new jacket. He is able (for the most part) to reproduce the old folk art style but doesn't get the requests. In any case, there have been so many customers who have had to wait so long and had such communication issues, etc. that I would shy away from recommending him - as nice and as skilled a guy as he is.

Thanks John, that's what I was looking for. I've just heard so much from so many concerning the authenticity of modern A2 painting being overdone. Jerome, being an exceptional artist, is still over doing the quality compared to the way it was actually done. So as I have already guessed and tried to explain right here on this forum endlessly, the market is simply not there for the folk art style. My own experience and your explanation of Jerome's views is rock solid enough for me. And like you say, I'm sure he's a great guy and a very skilled one at that. But if you're not charging a fair price for yourself, you're just trading dollars. I certainly couldn't do that unless my wife was paying the bills.

At any rate, I think it's a good idea to give it a try anyway, maybe a happy medium in between modern and folk art to keep it cost effective for both parties. Of course it would be compared to Jerome and criticized by every non artist with an opinion, but that should only matter to the person paying for it. And level of quality is obviously up to the customer anyway. I'll paint it like Vargas himself or with my toes if you prefer. Think I could actually get the jobs done regardless of detail in a reasonable amount of time, especially since my new shop is in order now, providing the money is there.

I'm just doing a little bit of market research because I don't need to be the best painter with the best prices, I just don't want to look at a ten foot high pile of jackets as I walk out the door on my way to a job to pay the bills.

CBI

there is still a market for sure. I get asked every few weeks about painting a jacket and just pass it on. For me, it takes so much time, I would need to charge quite a bit to justify it from a business standpoint. In addition, I don't even have the time to paint my own jackets these days.

Good luck!

a2jacketpatches

CBI said:
there is still a market for sure. I get asked every few weeks about painting a jacket and just pass it on. For me, it takes so much time, I would need to charge quite a bit to justify it from a business standpoint. In addition, I don't even have the time to paint my own jackets these days.

Good luck!

Thanks my friend, justifying from a business stand point is more than half the battle.

TankBuster

CBI said:

Good luck!

I can't blame you. I can't see putting in all that effort for say $300. Unless a guy really loves doing it just to do it versus making money, I just can't see it being justifiable!

a2jacketpatches

I almost wish Jerome would jump in here and say " Yup, that's what happened to me " It would kind of redeem his situation and he could possibly start to recover from it. I've been doing one kind of art or another for many years and it is very typical to get buried into a situation where a fine artist can't change into a commercial artist.
If Jerome happens to see this thread please don't be offended as I don't mean anything bad. I'm just guessing that you've had issues beyond your control taking over and I'm well aware of those possibilities. However silence will have your customers who aren't aware of the artists complications assume the worst.

I don't care what kind of art you're doing, you gotta charge a minimum of 40- per hour if it's your livelihood. Artwork of Jerome quality requires several types of paint brushes at 5 to ten bucks each and replaced very often, several different paint colors or the time to mix perfectly from primary colors, comfortable working space, uninterrupted time to paint, and countless other tools and factors.

The following is my partner Jim, this is the quality work he does by mixing his own colors, done entirely with a paint brush, and using artistic license as opposed to strict technical execution. As far as I'm concerned, this is top notch artwork and cannot be compared to any of the the endless painted patches on ebay, they all look the same to me, I'm not knocking them, it just is what it is, apples and oranges. The prices there range from 15 bucks up to over a hundred. The dirt cheap ones sell fairly regularly, and the expensive ones rarely. NONE! of these guys are actually making enough money to speak of. For this Troop Carrier Patch, Jim gets about a hundred bucks or he won't sell it to you and I don't blame him.
310thTroopCarrierSq.jpg

ausreenactor

les_garten said:
ausreenactor said:
Got an email response last night....fingees crossed....

Couchy

Hi,
What became of your Jacket? Did you ever get it back?

Nothing heard beyond the email that day; however, there could be a jacket at the post office. Shall advise when I get back to the Ville. Have an 800 mile transit tomorrow...Postie arrives the day after..

Couchy

les_garten

I had a long wait for a paint job and a patch back in 2006-2007.

I just figured he's an artist, whatcha gonna do!

He's not dishonest or a thief.

He is a serious artist, for instance I think he designed the air filter cover for some of the Harley Screaming Eagles. I think if we knew all of the extent of his "art" we would be even more impressed with him.

He has not been active here or at Hat World for some time.