• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket fit.

ZuZu

Correction

Aero launched our Jerky Horsehide Real Deal A-2 in 1998
They don't come much grainier than those

That may be but your jackets back then suffered from inaccurate patterns, gigantic 8” epaulettes, short bodies and generally looked not so much like WW2 jackets. Whatever you may claim I don’t believe you actually ever took apart original Aeros and made patterns. Plus many little details were and still are incorrect. Just sayin...

ZuZu

I have a RW 27752 repro that JC directly patterned from an original. The upper sleeves are cut quite full, and the jacket is one of the more comfortable original contract A-2 repros I've owned out of many. Not really what I would call overly trim. I wouldn't want it any tighter across the chest or shoulders for certain, and enjoy it's range of movement while worn.

Here's a couple pics of me wearing it:

View attachment 26571View attachment 26572

Here's a couple of JC wearing this same jacket:

View attachment 26567View attachment 26568

Notice the lack of a gigantic collar, see the V shape of the jacket at the front, observe how the epaulettes rise up slightly. Looks as close as possible to an original RW as is possible. Right size, beautiful loose leather and correct fit! Great jacket!

ZuZu

I have a RW 27752 repro that JC directly patterned from an original. The upper sleeves are cut quite full, and the jacket is one of the more comfortable original contract A-2 repros I've owned out of many. Not really what I would call overly trim. I wouldn't want it any tighter across the chest or shoulders for certain, and enjoy it's range of movement while worn.

Here's a couple pics of me wearing it:

View attachment 26571View attachment 26572

Here's a couple of JC wearing this same jacket:

View attachment 26567View attachment 26568

This is how a repro looks when original patterns are used and the maker is obsessed with every detail. Beautiful jacket!

Ken at Aero Leather

That may be but your jackets back then suffered from inaccurate patterns, gigantic 8” epaulettes, short bodies and generally looked not so much like WW2 jackets. Whatever you may claim I don’t believe you actually ever took apart original Aeros and made patterns. Plus many little details were and still are incorrect. Just sayin...

Anyone who ever visited The Thrift Shop would confirm we rarely had less than 100 A-2 in stock at any time and had thousands through our hands, many needed relining, those old linings were the basis for our A-2 patterns, mainly the 1756 (my personal favourite) and the Aero 15142. As anyone who has ever made an A-2 will confirm, the leather panels and lining panels are identical
I don't appreciate being called a bullshitter

KariJ

And seeing and been living in real life "inside" military organizations logistics system abt some decades I really can confirm there is no such a thing as an "authentic". There is just a pile of cheapest of garnment taxpayers have provided. Those happen to be stitched with lots of "issue -numbers" and with "issues" to identify a piece and type you shall return the to government when You retire or...

So bearing those real world facts in my mind I ordered my jacket from Ken. I got what I wanted, it is close enough, it fits me, I also get positive feedback, so I think it is an repro, not an authentic A2 for me. But that is just me.

In international operations I also have seen a system, when you enter a depot and you are measured you get your "tailored" BDU or what ever to wear in end of the line and that happens withing 10-15 mins/per individual.

So what is authentic, In my opinion "authentic" ist just some fantacy ppl are willing to pay for.

For me authentic A2's were made during WW2. Despite of this I really am more than satisfied with "not so authentic A2 what I even dared to customize" provided by Ken and his factory.

Last edited:

B-Man2

And seeing and been living in real life "inside" military organizations logistics system abt some decades I really can confirm there is no such a thing as an "authentic". There is just a pile of cheapest pile of garnment taxpayers have provided. Those happen to be stitched with lots of "issue -numbers" to identify a piece and type you shall return the to government when You retire or...
And not much has changed in that regard over the years. That’s one of the reasons that the Special Operations community goes outside of the normal contracting protocols and contracts with companies on a group or team basis, to obtain the best quality gear available.

Micawber

There is something about the tone and manner of your posts that is familiar.....

KariJ

And not much has changed in that regard over the years. That’s one of the reasons that the Special Operations community goes outside of the normal contracting protocols and contracts with companies on a group or team basis, to obtain the best quality gear available.
Correct, Bought what needed also "COFT" basis.Just because needed. I also "guess" not issue nor any other numbers attached....
maybe MIPRC (Made in PRC)

But despite enjoying of a small family businesses who still provide hand made this kind of jackets, we prefer to start whining and guarreling abt how inaccurate those might be.

Gents my apos. I laugh. I dont laugh at service providers I dont laugh at us I dont laugh at "you" I am laughing at taking everything so seriously.

But I guess wearing a leather jacket of a price what we have paid for should be fun :)

Last edited:

ZuZu

Anyone who ever visited The Thrift Shop would confirm we rarely had less than 100 A-2 in stock at any time and had thousands through our hands, many needed relining, those old linings were the basis for our A-2 patterns, mainly the 1756 (my personal favourite) and the Aero 15142. As anyone who has ever made an A-2 will confirm, the leather panels and lining panels are identical
I don't appreciate being called a bullshitter

If that is true then it makes the incorrect details and fit of your jackets even more incomprehensible.

B-Man2

Zuzu
Here’s a thought ,...., why don’t you try softening your approach and responses a bit and trying a persuasive dialogue and sticking around for a while. People are always willing to listen to constructive meaningful criticism and respectful exchanges. C’mon dude give it a try.:)

ZuZu

Zuzu
Here’s a thought ,...., why don’t you try softening your approach and responses a bit and trying a persuasive dialogue and sticking around for a while. People are always willing to listen to constructive meaningful criticism and respectful exchanges. C’mon dude give it a try.:)

I will back up all my statements-the only controversial thing I've said I believe is in reference to Aero of Scotland's jackets- right? I'll try the clinical approach- I don't understand the point of the soft approach if it just leads to an endless daisy chain of compliments and high fives. Constructive criticism of reproduction A-2s shouldn't be out of place in a vintage leather jacket forum- right? I'll try to be a good boy- I will- but I can't help sayin' what I see with my eyes...

Micawber

o_O

I have been here before- yes- and spiritually I was always here. I'm back for a bit- trying to keep the makers honest...

Thought so. Likewise I had a previous account or two on VLJ as well but as often happens life got in the way, they fell into disuse and usernames and passwords were long forgotten.

A word or two of advice....
There are ways and means of conveying information effectively. An egocentric, brash, arrogant and impolite approach just tends to get people's backs up. It's worth remembering this as it avoids your audience reducing in size as people simply get brassed off and hit the ignore button.

Here endeth the lesson for today

Silver Surfer

i sold an original a-2 recently,and the buyer met my bottom line price, and with it, offered an unused aero-scotland a-2. i received the jacket [1711 contract], and have some observations.. while the over all pattern is correct, the leather tab at the bottom front [zipper starter area] is appx 1/2" too short as per originals. the collar stand is a little high as per originals. the snap closures are all together wrong as per originals. i could be wrong, but it appears that the sleeves are attached going close to straight out, as against originals wher the sleeves are attached at a downward angle of appx 60 degrees. however, the hides used [not vincenza] are remarkably like the hides on my originals. bottom line? if aero would tweek the issues i mention, the 1711 repro would be top of the line. i also like the reddish russet hide color, which i have seen on a few originals.

2BM2K

Interesting points. Could you post a photo showing the colour of the leather?

Thanks
Geoff

Grant

Hey Vic, Encouraging to hear they're using decent hides.
How's the fit compared to your originals? Every Aero repro I've had was annoyingly short in the body with long droopy epaulets - not like original Aeros.
What kind of zip are they using on the 1711?
Are they still using poly-cotton thread?
How close is their spec label to the original? I've yet to see a convincing spec label from them. I know that's a nerdy request but WTF. If you're paying top dollar for a repro they should get it right. If Platon can get it right with his Dubow label, why not them!