• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this an original A-1 on eBay?

Dr H

John Lever said:
There may be members here who have an original

Possibly John, I asked a while back and nobody came forward, but who knows what lurks in those closets

John Lever said:
Something about the size seems odd to me. How many size 50 chest people were around in the 1930's? For the period, that's a huge size.

True, it is large size John (18" collar), but some of those period images on the A-1 thread show the occasional large guy and they were around in the 20s/30s...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LfWlCTKtLx4/T ... Bruth2.jpg

On the other hand, perhaps that's why it has survived (more or less intact) - presumably not a 'frequent flyer'?

John Lever

I have been told that there were some top Japanese collectors as members. Not sure if they are still around now though.

Roughwear

This is the first A-1 with a 1928 spec label that I have seen on Ebay. Putting the later additions to the jacket aside it is a remarkable survivor from the Golden age of biplane aviation and as such will sell for a high price. Yes the leather is not in robust condition, but as a collectable it is highly desirable. Any guesses how high it will go?

Dr H

Just saw the original BIN in a previous e-mail (it already had a bid before I went in)...$1000 :cry:

Also had a very interesting exchange with JC, who had some interesting info on the manufacturer:

'Mirabelli Brothers were a company that didn't do too well. When the M-422 series of jackets were introduced, the rumor is that they stole a Willis and Geiger model and submitted it as their own, and when caught, lost all chance of further government contracts. They were involved in an insurance fraud investigation in 1928 as well. '

Interestingly, JC has also examined and worn the jacket before - it is an original, genuine 50, and the fixtures and fittings (lining aside) are kosher, but cape is indeed thin and fragile.

Andrew

Dr H said:

Interestingly, JC has also examined and worn the jacket before - it is an original, genuine 50, and the fixtures and fittings (lining aside) are kosher, but cape is indeed thin and fragile.
So that suggests its only been in Hawaii on hols... ;)

Dr H

Well, it finished just shy of £900, less than I might have thought given the rarity,but probably reflecting the general condition.
Anybody here get it?

bazelot

There was a Mario G. Mirabelli company that made summer flight helmets for the navy in the 1940s. i wonder if the 2 companies were connected