• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this an original A-1 on eBay?

Dr H

The image pixelates poorly on my iPhone so will have to check out on my iMac, later but what I can see looks like it might be. Poorly cracking shoulders...sounds about right for old cape :roll:
JC get that wallet out - looks like a pattern (in a larger size too)!

...phew! Within the editing window..

Looks really interesting John, wish that I could examine that one closely first hand. The texture of the hide looks good.

Is anybody familiar with the manufacturer?

Lining material and replacement look to be of the right period. The profile of the buttons look right too.

Aiea Hawaii? Do we have any members on the island? Aloha!
That's very close to Pearl Harbour...possibly strengthening the case?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Dr H said:
Is anybody familiar with the manufacturer?

Label indicates size 50 manufacturer is (?)rabelli Brothers,Elizabeth, N. J.

Mirabelli Bros. Co. W535 AC 2486, DWG No. 074734, circa 1928.

Persimmon

So given that it is Zip fastening albeit we do not know what type was originally on it, is this a interim step between an original A1 with buttons and the progression to SAT and A2 ?.
A missing link or just a private purchase adaption.

Wearing my A1 today as its a touch warmer after weeks of wearing the A2 to work.
I jusy love the A1

Dr H

Alan
I think that the button stand has been cut back to add the zip so probably fits more like 1-2 inches more snug than stated size.
Cheers
Ian

...p.s. Wearing mine too (in the warm rain!)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
We have an Irvin in a museum here that's been converted to buttons ... I guess it's tit for tat.

John Lever

I think some civi versions could pre-date the military ones. Didn't occur to me about the zip stand Ian, could be useful for a pattern as you say.

Dr H

The herringbone twill isn't (it is period), but the underside of the pocket flap looks A-OK

Thanks for posting CBI, you've made my day... :D

I've requested some better images and additional measurements, let's see what comes through.

:?

Dr H

John Lever and I had a quick conversation and he suggested that I should post something and his advice as ever is sound.

Would anybody (among the A-1 admirers...you know who you are :ugeek: ) be interested in forming a small/medium-sized consortium to try and buy the A-1? This would spread the costs and increase the bidding power. I'm currently bidding on it already.

My view is that it's not a wearer (even for me ;) ), but invaluable from which to take an accurate pattern (if you're up for it John?).

Having done so, it would make sense to put it on the market again/sell it through the collecting network.

Any interest? There's a day or two to make a decision...

Cheers

Ian

TankBuster

In the listing he states: "The leather is very fragile". Hopefully it is not one of those jackets that you touch or move the wrong way, and you end up tearing or breaking a piece off. I would be careful.

With that being said, I hope someone here gets it. It's a great piece of flight jacket history even in its very poor state!

Dr H

Hi Jeff
I agree - looks badly holed and fragile.
I'd see it principally as a means of getting to an authentic pattern (I wouldn't want to wear it).
Cheers
Ian

dmar836

Sounds like I'm negative here but..... Pics #2 and 4 show just how crusty it is. Looks like dirt and age is holding parts together. I would doubt it could support itself for long in any upright configuration. Not that it doesn't have value but whether or not that label is original to the jacket when the lining was obviously replaced will always be an unknown.
Great patch BTW! Not sure how the Hawaii location would add any provenance at all. If the sqdn had been stationed there but.....
Lastly, if you have ever made a pattern from a used garment, especially one well worn as this, you will know that the accumulated distortions can make it a nightmare. In this case an expensive one that might not yield a pattern any better than, and maybe with just as much imagination as, a pattern made from a compilation of pics, other repros, etc. Sometimes the guesswork needed to imagine the original shape prior to obvious mods, prior disassembly, amount of shrinkage, stretching, etc. may give no better results IMO. Also the gyrations needed to extend the material for an accurate pattern would likely add considerable damage to parts of this one.
I love the look but salty it is.
Great looking jacket overall but sure would like some history. If only it could talk!

JMO,
Dave

John Lever

Those are valid points. There may be members here who have an original.

Something about the size seems odd to me. How many size 50 chest people were around in the 1930's ?
For the period , that's a huge size.

dmar836

John,
I hate to add negativity BUT the zipper mod, liner replacement(with transplanted label), possibly/likely cropped bodice, and even that size are all reasons to question without provenance. Undoubtedly a period jacket and the mods are all common and fair but, without history, they can also be mods to a civi "A-1" or a resurrection of an authentic label onto another civi jacket way back when.
Not trying to hate on it at all. This scrutiny is only justified when the bucks get irrationally high or when there is a good chance that it could be hoisted as a solid example of one of only a few remaining.
Dave

Members online

Latest posts