• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvins in your collection

Andrew

TwelveOClockHigh said:
I live in San Diego, over 400 miles south of you Matt, and I have eight Irvins and three B-3s and two B-7s. So I guess I need to re-evaluate my collection. I rarely wear them. ............
Just like me... until now I thought I had the most shearling of anyone living in the sub tropics, so now I know i'm not crazy. Who needs excuses :D . Now you've confessed to having the second biggest collection of Irvins on VLJ you have to get em out and put them up here!

rich

[/quote]
Now you've confessed to having the second biggest collection of Irvins on VLJ you have to get em out and put them up here![/quote]

Oh yes.

rich

It's good to remember that all collecting is basically illogical so why justify it ?

Personally I try and be content with just one of each type......... but this isn't necessarily by virtue, if I had more time and money I expect that would change. I don't think it's about justifying things, that all sounds a bit zen to me. If you follow that line of argument you might as well say "I'll be dead one day, what's the point of anything".
I think many people extend their collections as a kind of homage, which in my view is a very good thing, but it would surprise me to learn that this is what motivates you. Illogical enough?

philip.ed

What is logical in a world where the Media governs peoples thoughts? Logic is a matter of opinion really.
Put it this way, if I sold my collection, I would have earnt so much money I could easily pay my uni fees. I don't think you can get more logical than that.

Roughwear

Yes, I have a large collection of Irvins and original A2s, but each jacket is either from a different contract or has different features. It's the variety which makes collecting interesting IMO. :)

Silver Surfer

Sleeve measurement is 66cm and the back from the collar to the hem is 63cm's.

What size would that be, in old AM/ MOD language, a Size 5 or 6?

Andrew

rich said:
"I think many people extend their collections as a kind of homage..."
Aha, in this Chaps case its obviously homage to Milkmaids bottoms so that's probably understandable :lol:

SuinBruin

TwelveOClockHigh said:
Ooops,

I live in San Diego, over 400 miles south of you Matt, and I have eight Irvins and three B-3s and two B-7s. So I guess I need to re-evaluate my collection. I rarely wear them. But when I do they are great conversation pieces. They are like dogs. When you have your dog(s) around, people find a reason to talk to you. An ice breaker of sorts. That is what these jackets are. I have had many conversations with complete strangers that started with a question or comment about the jacket I am a wearing.
Far be it from me to question anyone else's collecting habits! I love the look and history of the shearlings, but I try to be more pragmatic in my collecting these days. If I can't wear it or use it, I try not to buy it. This just means I'm accumulating more repro vintage denim (got some Japanese 1952 Wranglers and Lees inbound), A-2s, and flyfishing gear.

rich

Silver Surfer said:
Sleeve measurement is 66cm and the back from the collar to the hem is 63cm's.

What size would that be, in old AM/ MOD language, a Size 5 or 6?

Do these help? I'm afraid I measured them in inches though. First one is a size 5, other is a 6.

ij5-1.jpg

ij6-1.jpg