• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvins in your collection

Andrew

Like the other threads, here's mine, L-R clockwise;
Early (suspected) IAC 2 panel named to RAF Volunteer Reserve Pilot sz 6, Early (suspected ) IAC 2 panel ex RNZAF sz 6, 1941 Wareings 4 panel sz 5, 1944 4 panel back sz 6 ex RCAF Air Gunner.

sm.jpg

Roughwear

Thanks for reviving interest in Irvins again Andrew and Jeff.

It's good to see all your Irvins together Andrew. I might take some current pics of the Irvins in my collection.

Andrew, I'm not quite sure why you put "suspected" in brackets by the first two jackets. They are both pre-War, most likely from the 1938 contract B25061/38 or the 1939 contract, 978014/39 which were both awarded to Irvin Air Chute. I have seen originals with both these contract labels in them and they are the almost identical to your two jackets. I'm confused about the 1944 date for the Canadian Air Gunner jacket. It is typical of jackets from 1941-2, but perhaps you have good evidence for a later date?

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

I don't have any doubts about the period of the first two, just the maker due to the lack of evidence, but the fact you've seen labeled jackets that appear very similar is a good pointer to identify them.

The RCAF jacket is labeled and date stamped. I'll post a detailed pic tomorrow. It does have similar details to the Wareings jacket.

Roughwear

Here are some of mine, with several photos taken today.

1933 Irvin Air Chute
007-65.jpg

008-69.jpg

C. 1939 Irvin Air Chute electrically wired Irvin-size 5
006-27.jpg

1940 D.G.L Irvin-size 6
005-59.jpg

1941-2 D.G.Ltd Irvin. Size 5
009-68.jpg

1941-2 Wareings size 6
001-59.jpg

002-67.jpg

1942-3 Black Sheep Irvin in a size 5, possibly made by Robinson and Ensum
001-1.jpg

005-65.jpg

006-67.jpg

1943-5 D.G.Ltd? Size 5
003-69.jpg

SuinBruin

Wow, Andrew, those are only "some" of your Irvins? :lol: That's a pretty impressive collection.

I like the look of the Irvin, but there is just no need for them here in northern California. If I lived in the midwest or east I'd probably pick one up. My wife's grandfather was a flight surgeon in the RAF during the war so it would be a bit of a familial gesture. Plus they are just cool.

cheers,
matt

Roughwear

Hi Matt, These are most of my collection. I also have another pre-War Irvin and a late War one as well, plus an ELC 1940 Irvin for daily wear in the winter. I have not included several Irvins which need some restoration before being passed on. :)

John Lever

Hey Paddy,
I lived in Tynemouth from 5 to 8 years old. I don't remember the beautiful glass market though, where is that ?
I do remember the very cold winters when we went sledging on the beach. That north wind was like a knife !

CBI

Andrew - terrific Irvins. One of my favorite jackets of all time. Pains me that I can NEVER wear one here in the Mid-South US. Maybe one day a year! :(

I really LOVE the pre-war ones - congrats on a great collection!

asiamiles

John Lever said:
Hey Paddy,
I lived in Tynemouth from 5 to 8 years old. I don't remember the beautiful glass market though, where is that ?
I do remember the very cold winters when we went sledging on the beach. That north wind was like a knife !

I lived in-between Tynemouth and North Shields for almost 3 years when I was at Newcastle-upon-Tyne Poly...I could walk to either station but generally chose the latter (though later I found a place to park just 10 minutes walk from the Poly, so I would drive in); while Tynemouth was a pleasant area (it's on the coast with hotels, but even the summers are too cold to attract holidaymakers) North Shields was quite a rough place. I would occasionally go to the market and buy records...the photo of the Metro station makes it look much larger and grander than I recall.

CBI

I never understood the sizing numbers. what do they equate to in inches/sizes/present day sizing 44, 42, ????

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
CBI said:
I never understood the sizing numbers. what do they equate to in inches/sizes/present day sizing 44, 42, ????

There are posts here, explaining how they were sized to fit over a BD jacket ... easier to find is Paddy's helpful sticky, over at Hat ...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12581

It is a useful guide and recently I provided Paddy with more information to fill in the gaps in my original list. Many pre-War Irvins were sized with just the chest size on the label whilst later ones had a size from 1 to 8 and also had the measurements for the height, breast and waist which were usually larger than stated on the label as they took into account RAF uniform being worn underneath the Irvin.

Roughwear

I am posting these pictures for reference of a c. 1940 Irvin Air Chute jacket. The jacket has the common single trunnion Dot made in England main zip, but has Lightning sleeve zips without AM stamped on the pullers. The jacket is original down to the leather pulls. It is made from close-pile fleece rather than the shaggy variety used later in the War.

001-25.jpg

002-23.jpg

011-30.jpg

016-27.jpg

004-27.jpg

005-30.jpg

006-27.jpg

007-27.jpg

010-26.jpg

013-26.jpg

Roughwear

Here is a nice example of an early War Irvin, which dates from 1939-40. It is in very good condition and is a robust, wearable jacket in larger size. It is typical of the Irvins worn by fighter pilots in the Battle of France and the Battle of Britain. The jacket is completely original apart from the label, which was most likely came detached years ago.

It was most likely made by Links and has all the typical features associated with this maker-slightly rounded collar ends, small collar rings and medium sized belt loops.

The entire jacket is made from a golden close pile fleece.

The skin side of the fleece is a chestnut brown. The original polyacrilic surface is in tact and there is no rot, holes or repairs to the skin side of the fleece. The leather seam tapes are secure with their original stitching. The fleece is supple and robust.

The main zip is an original single trunnion brass Dot with "Dot made in England" stamped on the puller, but the stopper box is the rarer Dot British variety, which was used from 1938-40.

Here are some pictures:-

001-24.jpg

002-22.jpg

012-29.jpg

016-26.jpg

010-25.jpg

015-28.jpg

005-29.jpg

004-26.jpg

SuinBruin said:
Wow, Andrew, those are only "some" of your Irvins? :lol: That's a pretty impressive collection.

I like the look of the Irvin, but there is just no need for them here in northern California. If I lived in the midwest or east I'd probably pick one up. My wife's grandfather was a flight surgeon in the RAF during the war so it would be a bit of a familial gesture. Plus they are just cool.

cheers,
matt

Ooops,

I live in San Diego, over 400 miles south of you Matt, and I have eight Irvins and three B-3s and two B-7s. So I guess I need to re-evaluate my collection. I rarely wear them. But when I do they are great conversation pieces. They are like dogs. When you have your dog(s) around, people find a reason to talk to you. An ice breaker of sorts. That is what these jackets are. I have had many conversations with complete strangers that started with a question or comment about the jacket I am a wearing.