• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting new Irvin jacket project

blackrat2

Jon that is superb..truly a great looking jacket.
The multi panel's really look good to me
Anyone got any original trousers they want to sell me.

jonnyboy

Thanks for the positive comments guys - much appreciated.

I'm really pleased with how this project has turned out and I would happily do the same for anyone who can supply the trousers. It's been great working with Rick on this, and it's thanks to his idea to do this that it has come about.

I think it used up approximately 3 pairs of trousers, but I need to do a proper tally now that the jacket is finished. It took longer to make than usual, as the initial process of laying out all the pattern pieces onto the trousers, and working out which bits were useable took quite a while. I didn't want to start cutting until I was absolutely sure that it would work.

I love the idea of giving something a new lease of life. The original trousers are not particularly practical for wearing these days (although they are nice things to have), so this could be a good use for them, and offer people the chance of having a tailor made jacket that is very close to an original. It also means that large-sized jackets can be made, which are almost impossible to find as originals. I wish that I had a ready supply of old trousers, but sadly not!

Cheers,

Jon

Marv

Fantastic work Jon but one question that was mentioned but not yet answered.....did any of the trousers smell of wee :D

jonnyboy

No wee smells, but definitely slightly musty smelling!

The trousers just had that distinctive aroma of sheepskin which has been stored away for 70 something years, like many original jackets do. The condition of the sheepskin varied though, and I was actually amazed at how 'new' some of it still feels, especially on the wool side. Some was quite stiff and fragile though, and unusable.

Cheers,

Jon

Andrew

Sorry i'm late to chime in and by now all the superlatives have been taken. Before I read the text I was simply confused about what I was looking at, an old jacket, new aged hides and accurate zips..... Rick is going to be one happy camper. Well done Jon, I just can't imagine how you did it.

TOMG1401

Jon, you've actually created a new category here, not a reproduction but a reconstruction

P.S. John Lever, odd question old chap, I'm afraid to ask what answer you would have prefered

MikeyB-17

I am blown away by this, incredible job. The question re the smell of urine is a valid one, aircrew were known to pee in their Irvin suits, probably a combination of the impracticality of the process of urination in an aircraft at altitude whilst wearing heavy flying clothing, and a desire for a bit of warmth, although couldn't have been too pleasant once it cooled down!

B-24J

Wonderful craftsmanship Jon. A brilliant project!

Now I know why the price of Irvin trousers are higher on eBay these days.

As long as the trousers do not have a known history, this does seem to give them a new lease on life beyond simply robbing their zips.

My 1941 Links trousers were owned by a Coastal Command fitter who was on one of the Catalina flying boats that the Bismarck put a few holes into. I do not know if he was actually wearing the trousers on that occasion, the dates are possible. His flying helmet and goggles are in a museum. The jacket was borrowed by his son after the war and taken on a trip to the continent were it was stolen.

John

coalman

Superb jacket, I am so so so jealous :mrgreen: and can only sit back and watch any pair of irvin trousers on evil bay reach sky high prices beyond my reach.
Looking at the rear view of Jons jacket and the rear view of Aeros version of this jacket, is it me or doe's Jons looks more relaxed at the seams whereas the Aero version looks tight and strained?

Dr H

coalman said:
Looking at the rear view of Jons jacket and the rear view of Aeros version of this jacket, is it me or doe's Jons looks more relaxed at the seams whereas the Aero version looks tight and strained?

John, I think that the 'Union Flag' configuration of the horizontals/verticals and diagonals on the Aero jacket hamper the seam formation, whereas this more typical arrangement (with smaller panels to the chest) causes less stress. Less busy and more appealing to me at least.

coanda

Well the jacket has arrived in the UK, just in time for the return of winter.. Here are some pictures of a somewhat overweight bald bloke in what is a truly amazing jacket! A true size 48 plus Irvin.
I cannot recommend Jon highly enough..
P1080449.jpg

P1080450.jpg

P1080451.jpg

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx233/coanda/P1080452.jpg[img]
[img]http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx233/coanda/P1080453.jpg
P1080454.jpg

P1080457.jpg

P1080458.jpg

A pity the wearer doesn't do justice to the jacket!
Many thanks Jon.
Regards to all
Rick

Roughwear

Wow Rick! Your old/new Irvin looks superb and is made just like later War originals from recycled flying trousers. It will easily pass as a very large original from 1943-5. Enjoy it. :)