• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting new Irvin jacket project

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd share some photos of a recent Irvin project. This jacket was a little different from my usual orders, as it was made from sheepskin taken from original Irvin trousers. Rick (coanda) asked me if I would make him a size 48-50 jacket, if he sent me the trousers. I've never worked with original 1940s sheepskin before, so the idea sounded too good not to try.

The trousers weren't in the best condition, so a little Pecards was needed to make the sheepskin easier to work with. The individual panels were then all cut out and sewn together as normal. I'm really pleased with how it's turned out, and the pattern I made for it is now my standard multi-panel jacket pattern. I was able to use other original parts, such a zips and the belt, as well as original leather for the seam tapes. An interesting observation was the variety in the colour and feel of the original sheepskin used on the different pairs of trousers. From very dark brown, to light chestnut, and with a whole range of wool textures.

Anyway, I hope you like the photos. It was a really interesting project, and if anyone else has a stack of old Irvin trousers sitting around doing nothing, and they fancy having them turned into a jacket...

Cheers,

Jon

Sidedetail_zps12693bcb.jpg

Front-6_zps51547252.jpg

Sidecollardetail_zps60e3eda6.jpg

Frontcollar-1_zpsa52883dc.jpg

Back-2_zps799fe06a.jpg

Backcollar_zpsa5394443.jpg

Mainzip_zps0f0594be.jpg

Backdetail_zpse24a7230.jpg

Sleevezip_zps4a2c611e.jpg

Side_zps65f4c2d9.jpg

Sidecollar_zps4e9cea10.jpg

Roughwear

You have done a fantastic job here Jon. I hope Rick will be delighted when he gets to wear the jacket. :) BTW. How many pairs of trousers did you use to make the jacket?

Dr H

Now that's the pattern that I mentioned in the Aero Irvin thread. I particularly like the smaller triangular panels on the chest.
That hide looks tremendous.

Smithy

What's really scary about that, is how much it looks exactly like a late war multi-panel jacket. If you dinged up and aged the hardware, you really couldn't tell the difference.

Fantastic work!

Hawkeye

What an incredible job, would anyone be able to tell that this wasnt an original jacket if you hadnt told us?

chamboid

True craftsmanship, it's a pleasure to see such tallent in making clothing, and especially in leather, and vintage sheepskin, at that. The love of the craft, and devotion to something is a thing lost to most people, having the nouce, tallent and commitment to make something personal into a business is always high commendable.

Well done, truly astounding

rich

You're going from strength to strength Jon, your work looks top notch in every respect and IMO is in a different league compared to other recently admired multi-panel offerings.

John Lever

It does look fantastic. Some of the fleece looks almost new.
How remarkable that such old leather has remained workable after all these years. The tanners really new how to treat materials back then.
Were the trousers odour free ?
I had always been told that they were usually soiled.