• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you could buy and own only one A-2...

Juanito

I think the missing number on the label offends (far too) many, Stu makes a great jacket
Yes, there are so many things "wrong" with it from the tag, to the epaulet construction, to the nylon taped zipper with the odd stopper box, to the pockets, to the 4.0 oz leather, etc. BUT, if there was only one jacket to have, it would be the one and why of all the jackets I have bought and sold, I still have the LW I bought in 1995 or so. I just wish I had never sold the one I bought aorund 1990 or so as the pocket shape was better.

Last edited:

Skip

Have to be Navy then , as off the shelf A2’s are either too short, or if long enough to blousy in the chest. Navy jackets fit me like a glove

warguy

Proud new owner of both an ELC Monarch and ELC Star in 42. Log another vote for the Star-both jackets are fantastic, but the Star just fits me a bit better because of the slimmer cut. Love that seal brown as well.

Ken at Aero Leather

Yes, there are so many things "wrong" with it from the tag, to the epaulet construction, to the nylon taped zipper with the odd stopper box, to the pockets, to the 4.0 oz leather, etc. BUT, if there was only one jacket to have, it would be the one and why of all the jackets I have bought and sold, I still have the LW I bought in 1995 or so. I just wish I had never sold the one I bought aorund 1990 or so as the pocket shape was better.

My point was that, despite some of the points you've mentioned, the label seems to get more negative column inches than anything bar Stu's web text

ausreenactor

Bugger! This in opinion post...

I thought you had found 'the cure'. Either through a drug, mental health program or counselling.

Anyhoo.. Few RoughWear A-2. They tried to imitate my BK Werber....

i-img900x1200-1533551307jstbng24343.jpg

i-img900x1200-1533551307gzi6pp24343.jpg

i-img900x1200-1533551308jpv0xm24343.jpg

Last edited:

johnwayne

Ken, as to the holy grail then I think most here would probably say an original that fitted perfectly and in pristine condition (at the mo that might appear to be the much discussed and elusive Goldsmith!) but in reality we can only speak from what we have experienced. I know I missed out on a relatively inexpensive Aero that I genuinely thought was an original but hesitated and it became the one that got away, think it was an 80's production of yours!

tjoenn

Ken, as to the holy grail then I think most here would probably say an original that fitted perfectly and in pristine condition (at the mo that might appear to be the much discussed and elusive Goldsmith!) but in reality we can only speak from what we have experienced. I know I missed out on a relatively inexpensive Aero that I genuinely thought was an original but hesitated and it became the one that got away, think it was an 80's production of yours!
Couldn't agree more! This one will be with me until my dying day....

Attachments

• Cable Raincoat.jpg
    Cable Raincoat.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 241

Ken at Aero Leather

An accurate reproduction of a label can only enhance a jacket.

An original label has it's own beauty which some people do appreciate.

Agreed, but at the time these Dubow labels first appeared on the scene there were only a few players in the A-2 market, Avirex, Aero, Sefton, ELC, LW (In that order of first production I believe), Hope I haven't I missed anyone? None of us were all that close to an "original contract" or indeed, all that close to a good repro label.......LW's label got the most flack over time and their label was probably closer than the rest of us at our respective first attempts

don't know why I'm sticking up for Stu, I am aware that on the phone he's not always that flattering about Aero

Juanito

Agreed, but at the time these Dubow labels first appeared on the scene there were only a few players in the A-2 market, Avirex, Aero, Sefton, ELC, LW (In that order of first production I believe), Hope I haven't I missed anyone? None of us were all that close to an "original contract" or indeed, all that close to a good repro label.......LW's label got the most flack over time and their label was probably closer than the rest of us at our respective first attempts

don't know why I'm sticking up for Stu, I am aware that on the phone he's not always that flattering about Aero

I just do not know how Stu can reasonably support that 30-415 was actually used, an he continues to make jackets with that label (let alone have the separate size tag).

Ken at Aero Leather

I just do not know how Stu can reasonably support that 30-415 was actually used, an he continues to make jackets with that label (let alone have the separate size tag).

Commercial reasons, I expect, back then the usual minimum quantities for a woven label would have been several thousand.
How many Dubow A-2s do you expect he sells a year? 50 maybe? I doubt if he's half way through the box.

Garylafortuna

Absolutely!!! Feel really privileged to own it and wear it from time to time!! Shame not a single person I meet recognize what it is, should have a large sign on it saying"WWII original!!!"

No signs tjoenn, what is really important is that you know what it is. Grand piece of history that. Looks good too.