• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you could buy and own only one A-2...

Officer Dibley

If you could buy and own only one A-2 and it had to be a standard off-the-peg size, which would it be and why ?

Might be interesting to see if folks go with budget, hide, authentic cut, maker etc, etc.

I should kick it off but i haven't seen enough different repros in the flesh of late to make an informed enough decision. Though my ELC Cable russet goat is the only one i regret selling.

Brettafett

This pains me, as most off-the-peg repro A-2s run short for me, especially in the sleeves and this for me is a pain in the neck.
I'd need to spend another 24 hours trying jackets at one of ELC's pop-ups...

Short answer: AVI LTHR's Bronco 42 would be a likely choice... Fits well, good lengths, original-maker pattern, has all the right repro bits...
Longer answer: I know you said one, but.... Potentially an ELC HLB, size 40, its one of the only off-the-peg top tier repro A-2s that are remotely long enough for me and fit well in the body. But I am not super excited about this pattern (large collar and wide waist).

Brent

I'll get in here before all the Rough Wear guys chime in. ;-)
Aero Unknown Maker 1756. Just like the look, though it's not for everyone. I assume GW Perry would be real nice too.

Regards,

Greg Gale

ELC Star Sportswear size 40.

ELC, because they're my favorite - albeit now unaffordable - maker. I love their jackets, their hide, their dark russety seal brown color, everything.
Star, because it has all the features I like: seal color, inset sleeves, pointy & stylish collar, no collar stand, slim body, and after trying on several contracts I had to realize this one fits my body type the best. As much as I would love to love RW-s, they are too roomy in the belly area for me.
Size 40, because I have a 38.5-39" chest, and that's what fits me :)

Ken at Aero Leather

Aero Unknown Maker 1756. Just like the look, though it's not for everyone. I assume GW Perry would be real nice too.

Regards,

I'd go for a really nice original Unknown Maker 1756, that was my first ever A-2, I should have resisted 12 months worth of a Thrift Shop customer begging me to sell it. By far my favourite, the cut, the leather, the collar especially
No need for another repro, I've have the same one I've had for 18 years, I wouldn't want to start breaking another one in at my age!!!

Last edited:

johnwayne

Off the peg, then I've got to say my GW Doniger as that's exactly what is was and I simply can't fault it. The finish of the goatskin, the colour (russet) that's wearing so nicely around the obvious areas, the fit, the feel and as I've said so often, I just love the pointed collar shape that looks good either snapped down, unsnapped or flipped up!!

B-Man2

One of my first A2 jackets was an ELC Werber. I sold that jacket a long time ago and regretted it ever since. Are you listening Zoomer;). I ordered another last year through HPA but it was always delayed and now ELC isn’t making them due to losing the main sewing operator/maker.

33-1729

One of my first A2 jackets was an ELC Werber. I sold that jacket a long time ago and regretted it ever since. Are you listening Zoomer;). I ordered another last year through HPA but it was always delayed and now ELC isn’t making them due to losing the main sewing operator/maker.

My first "real" A-2 was an ELC Werber. I thought (once) of selling it because I got a bit smaller, but I'm glad I didn't. I have a GW on order, but for now the ELC Werber is it.

zoomer

Honestly it might be my newest...Eastman HLB 37-3891P, 46 (see avatar).
Aside from being unable to latch the collar, there ain't thing 1 wrong with it!

Last edited:

Juanito

It may be blasphemy on this site, but it would be the Lost Worlds horsehide Dubow A-2 without the stand collar.

Ken at Aero Leather

With so many already owning their "Holy Grail" there's going to be a few worried faces amongst the repro makers :>)
Seriously if we've got "the only one we'll ever want" lets see some pics..............

D97x7

Only owning one (the shame) and only having ever tried two on, I feel very unsuitably qualified to answer but will anyway.
I vote for my BK Dubow. Yes I'd like another but just can't seem to pull the trigger, so for me this is perfect.
P_20180807_114216.jpg

Brettafett

And Grant... thats hard to beat in anyone's book. Look at that leather. Gosh man!
I tried my umpteenth ELC 1401 and it doesn't fit. No way I can afford to try another... Just not been a great year for jackets for me....