• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID these USN jackets 1932

dinomartino1

NH 72652 copy 3.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-10-04 at 11.20.12 AM.png

That was the collar that was was confusing me but in the photo from the film the collars look pretty close at a similar angle.
Always been more inteterested in the prewar USN jackets because of the variety they had.

asiamiles

I know how badly everyone wants those zipped jackets at Floyd Bennett Field to be leather...well, I regret having to throw a wrench into the works.

To my eye the buttoned jackets are all cape 37J1s, and the zipped ones are all jungle cloth

Indeed. The cloth jackets not only were zippered but were styled (maybe a couple of inches) longer than the leather ones...this was also true of one of the Buzz repros I had. This was then carried over into later eras with Navy flight jackets generally longer in cut than their Air Force counterparts; not sure why that would be.

Maverickson

Hi All,

Yes, zippers have been used on jackets for some time. A good early example is my civilian survivor which has a brass Talon that may very well predate date 1932.

The jacket was made by an aviation equipment manufacturer and worn by early aviators.

Front.jpg

1932 Scully Pin Lock  Fantail Taln.jpg

A number of patent dates are seen on the reverse side of the slider.

IMG_20231014_115632968~2.jpg

As seen above on my jacket's early brass Talon (Hookless) grommet type zipper slider, the earliest patent dates 1917 and latest 1925.

An upgraded jacket design that I have developed in both button and zip up models. All of which I have been reproducing now for several years https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/sheeleys-pending-1930s-utility-jacket-builds.24539/ .

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Tbaas

View attachment 122651

Men of the the Naval Reserve Air Squadron based at Floyd Bennett Field, New York and regular navy station keepers ready to fly to Cleveland, Ohio to take part in the air races, 1932.

If you at the guys with the zip jackets in the back row they appear to have stand collars and they seem to be bigger than the ones at the bottom but maybe thats the angle of the photo that makes them look different to the ones below.
If you at the guys with the zip jackets in the front row the third and fourth from the left and last on the right [hard to tell if that is even leather]t the collars are different with one button loop.
The guy fifth from the left on the front row may have a jacket with a regular collar.
You can't see the button loops on zip jackets on the back row but they have similarities with this jacket being worn by stunt pilot Frank Clarke in 1933
Too hard for my tired old man eyes.

View attachment 122655
What’s with the pocket position on some of those jackets? They’re almost breast pockets. Was that common on the A1 jackets?

zoomer

What’s with the pocket position on some of those jackets? They’re almost breast pockets. Was that common on the A1 jackets?
It was, on Navy spec 37J1. Some had pockets a little lower but still above waist level. They mostly had “baseball jacket” type collars too.