• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID these USN jackets 1932

dinomartino1

NH 72652.jpg

Men of the the Naval Reserve Air Squadron based at Floyd Bennett Field, New York and regular navy station keepers ready to fly to Cleveland, Ohio to take part in the air races, 1932.

If you at the guys with the zip jackets in the back row they appear to have stand collars and they seem to be bigger than the ones at the bottom but maybe thats the angle of the photo that makes them look different to the ones below.
If you at the guys with the zip jackets in the front row the third and fourth from the left and last on the right [hard to tell if that is even leather]t the collars are different with one button loop.
The guy fifth from the left on the front row may have a jacket with a regular collar.
You can't see the button loops on zip jackets on the back row but they have similarities with this jacket being worn by stunt pilot Frank Clarke in 1933
Too hard for my tired old man eyes.

The  %22king of stunt pilots%22 Frank Clarke at the 1933 National Air Races when LAX was calle...jpg

Last edited:

B-Man2

View attachment 122651

Men of the the Naval Reserve Air Squadron based at Floyd Bennett Field, New York and regular navy station keepers ready to fly to Cleveland, Ohio to take part in the air races, 1932.

If you at the guys with the zip jackets in the back row they appear to have stand collars and they seem to be bigger than the ones at the bottom but maybe thats the angle of the photo that makes them look different to the ones below.
If you at the guys with the zip jackets in the front row the third and fourth from the left and last on the righ [hard to tell if that is even leather]t the collars are different with one button loop.
The guy fifth from the left on the front row may have a jacket with a regular collar.
You can't see the button loops on zip jackets on the back row but they have similarities with this jacket being worn by stunt pilot Frank Clarke in 1933

View attachment 122655
An A-1 with a zipper ?

B-Man2

If you have an A-1 you know what a pain buttoning and unbuttoning up the jacket can be . I always thought a zipper made more sense . Of course zippers weren’t really perfected when the A-1 first appeared on the scene were they ?

Micawber

View attachment 122651

If you at the guys with the zip jackets in the front row the third and fourth from the left and last on the righ [hard to tell if that is even leather]t the collars are different with one button loop.

View attachment 122655

The length of those cuffs too! Fascinating photos Dino.

Silver Surfer

zippers began real usage on shoes at the beginning of the 20th century, so it is entirely possible that some a-1s were made with zippers. they could have been civies or jackets that I am not familiar with. looks as though there are 4-5, maybe more different styles of jackets in the pic. another day at school

Last edited:

B-Man2

If anyone has the time or the interest :
We now have a new jacket to research. It’s a little like the Goldsmith A-2 that we spent so much time discussing and researching .
BTW ( What ever happened to that?)
A zippered A-1 …. Funny that after all this time that it’s just come to light and that Dino found some great photos of them .
Well done Dino !

B-Man2

View attachment 122651

View attachment 122655
Dino
Any thoughts about starting a thread on your newly discovered zippered A-1 jacket? It might motivate some to start a little research project on the jacket which in turn might get the attention of a couple of jacket manufacturers around here.

dinomartino1

Dino
Any thoughts about starting a thread on your newly discovered zippered A-1 jacket? It might motivate some to start a little research project on the jacket which in turn might get the attention of a couple of jacket manufacturers around here.
If somebody wants to start one it's fine with me, my own non expert opinion is that they are a mix of private purchase zip jackets, though I will probably be proved wrong.

JonnyCrow

Dino
Wouldn't it be nice to see one cloned for real Burt, imagine discovering a original haha

JonnyCrow

If somebody wants to start one it's fine with me, my own non expert opinion is that they are a mix of private purchase zip jackets, though I will probably be proved wrong.
The Japanese make one for 3000 dollars? Haha