• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID these USN jackets 1932

JonnyCrow

Eureka Bill Kelso is calling it a 1930s AG Spalding jacket mm

Chandler

Headwind covered this year's ago here, did it happen?

Package is on the truck.

:rolleyes:

JonnyCrow

Amelia Earhart, also a Spalding?
amelia2.jpg

Skyhawk

Amelia's was made by SAT.

Headwind's
IMG-20200312-WA0001.jpg

We will probably revive this one. It is out of the Spalding Catalog circa mid 1930's. Their other variant has the knit collar.

zoomer

I know how badly everyone wants those zipped jackets at Floyd Bennett Field to be leather...well, I regret having to throw a wrench into the works.

To my eye the buttoned jackets are all cape 37J1s, and the zipped ones are all jungle cloth, an early variant on the then-new 37J1A - perhaps a test version. See 3d and 5th from L top, and all but 2d from R bottom.

See 1939's Wings of the Navy for this jacket worn by John Payne (just below). Single button/loop collar, A-1-style pockets, back stencil (assumably), and no stormflap. Some of the Floyd Bennett pilots may have stormflaps, others obviously don't.

This variant is also worn by 2 Marine pilots at Quantico in a photo dateable to late 1931 (bottom, 2nd from L and center).

No examples are known to survive.

wotn-37j1-noflap-nopleats-2.jpg
USMC-37J1da.jpg

Last edited:

zoomer

Further to the cloth variant...I know I've seen "Service Green" 37J1s (without that model number) in 1930s ads to the civilian aviation market (perhaps Air Associates?).

Can anyone who has such an ad kindly produce it? Maybe it'll turn out to match the John Payne type above.

Last edited:

Chandler

I know how badly everyone wants those zipped jackets to be leather...well, I regret having to throw a wrench into the works.

To my eye the buttoned jackets are all cape 37J1s, and the zipped ones are all jungle cloth, an early variant on the then-new 37J1A - perhaps a test version. See 3d and 5th from L top, and all but 2d from R bottom.
I wondered about this myself, but didn't get a chance (okay, I forgot -- too much going on in the real world :p) to look at the images on my big screen.