• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hornbeam Militaria USAAF Crusher

Smithy

OK guys, I took a punt on one of these and just received it yesterday and it's ridiculously good. The materials and construction are excellent and the shape is awesome, no Colonel Gaddafi crap. It also "sags and bags" like a proper original. I've only handled one original (at the museum) and this looks, feels and has the right colours as that. Only thing that probably would improve it is to swap out the badge - it's not bad and it's passable but with an original or a better repro and you'd be forgiven for thinking it was an original or one of the more expensive repros.

I've just come off three consecutive night shifts and am buggered and can't be arsed taking photos and then fucking around with them so I can post them, so photos to come later today after yours truly has had some quality shuteye.

I will say one thing, the photos of the cap that Hornbeam have on their website aren't nearly as good as the cap you actually receive - well that I received. Maybe they're revised the pattern? Whatever they've done, the crusher I got from them is seriously awesome.

ausreenactor

Will do Jerome, later today. Just about to hit the sack.

It's a terrific crusher.
Sounds good... just mentioned how you can save a fortune with an overseas cap...

You might have found a reasonably priced alternative to the Society and American Patrol caps..

foster

I'd like to see photos, because the listing on their website would not tempt me to order one.

Smithy

I'd like to see photos, because the listing on their website would not tempt me to order one.

I agree, their photos on their website are shit.

I bit the bullet and ordered one after a reenactor mate told me about them (he also swapped out the main badge) and like I've posted above my one is actually entirely different from their photos. The shape of these are really good.

The crusher I got is exceptionally like a proper wartime example. The badge aside my one sits like a wartime example (sags and bags), colour and detailing.

I'm thrilled with it.

Cocker

Damn Smithy, you're tempting me, here! Indeed, the pictures looks like the crappy one I have from SoF, but your feedback is so tempting!

Impatiently awaiting for the pics.

Greg Gale

The website photos look weird, the light green band is too tall. Looking forward to your pictures, if it looks good I’ll get one asap for this price!

what about sizing? Do they run large?

Smithy

Damn Smithy, you're tempting me, here! Indeed, the pictures looks like the crappy one I have from SoF, but your feedback is so tempting!

Impatiently awaiting for the pics.

Oh no Cedric, the SoF version is hideous, like some kind of South American dictator lid from the 50s ;-)

@Smithy Is the visor crushable?

Very much so. One of the things that impressed me so much with it Dimitry.

Photos coming fellas. I just woke up and am doing kids homework and putting them to bed. Joys of night shifts, my world is topsy-turvy!

B-Man2

I’ve never been into crusher caps but as repros go I remember that Diamond Dave made what most considered to be the Good Wear of repro caps . But he seems to have moved on and now if you can find one of his caps I’m sure they are very desirable .

Dimitry M

Oh no Cedric, the SoF version is hideous, like some kind of South American dictator lid from the 50s ;-)

Very much so. One of the things that impressed me so much with it Dimitry.

Photos coming fellas. I just woke up and am doing kids homework and putting them to bed. Joys of night shifts, my world is topsy-turvy!
I actually just got a service cap from IMA (Not worth it. leather covered plastic visor. Only real leather was the sweat band)and I modified it by cutting out a lot of the plastic stiffener. My neighbor has an original fabric upper in a size 7 he is looking for to give me. I might send It out to get restored with a visor etc by foster .

foster

I’ve never been into crusher caps but as repros go I remember that Diamond Dave made what most considered to be the Good Wear of repro caps . But he seems to have moved on and now if you can find one of his caps I’m sure they are very desirable .
I actually bought what remained of DD's crusher cap equipment a few years ago. My wife and I have made a few crusher caps, but time restraints (family, work) have kept us from really doing much with it.

Attachments

• IMG_6447.jpg
    IMG_6447.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_6567.JPG
    IMG_6567.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_6606.JPG
    IMG_6606.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 205

Smithy

Here you go guys, quick and dirty.

Fantastic cap for the price and better than the "budget" options like SoF which have the whole Gaddafi/South American dictator vibe to them.

Now one caveat, this is not a Diamond Dave repro but then it's an eighth of the price. If you want to make this better sub the badge and mount it so it can sit lower - you can see in my first pic how it's sitting a bit proud. Do this and you'll have a perfect shaped crusher.

Just like originals these are "crushable" so you can fold them, etc.

I'm stoked with this and think it's awesome for the price. Best crusher on the market without breaking the bank or looking like you've just assumed control of Paraguay.

QczPWPi.jpg

vrvkWKu.jpg

ausreenactor

I agree, their photos on their website are shit.

I bit the bullet and ordered one after a reenactor mate told me about them (he also swapped out the main badge) and like I've posted above my one is actually entirely different from their photos. The shape of these are really good.

The crusher I got is exceptionally like a proper wartime example. The badge aside my one sits like a wartime example (sags and bags), colour and detailing.

I'm thrilled with it.
Price is great...

Dimitry M

Did any of the originals have the weird pattern on the chinstrap? That shouldn't be to hard to replace any way. You got to take out the front stiffener and use something smaller to keep the screw backing on.