• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HLB B-3 Flight Jacket

FancyPants

Hello. I just found this HLB flight jacket. It's rough, but not bad overall. Leather supple. Zipper works. Just one real abrasion. Doesn't smell.

It's a size 38 regular.
33H5595
order # W535-AC-17811
HLB Corp NY

All straps and buckles are present. The jacket hanger on the inside of the collar is missing. Can anyone of you tell me more?
IMG_6755.JPG
IMG_6756.JPG
IMG_6754.JPG
IMG_6748.JPG
IMG_6751.JPG
IMG_6750.JPG
IMG_6753.JPG
IMG_6754.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6748.JPG
    IMG_6748.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6750.JPG
    IMG_6750.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_6751.JPG
    IMG_6751.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

ausreenactor

G'day and Welcome...

Without pics I would hazard a guess it is a Japanese repro, based on the almost new condition you describe....

Where did you source it?

MikeyB-17

Does anybody reproduce an HLB?
We’re going to need pics (and if you do, please don’t use the thumbnail option). If it’s not a repro, it’s a WWII era jacket.

ausreenactor

That looks like an original...

Not sure what the cut in the label signifies? De-Mil?

Here is the RM label...

20220314_103905.jpg

Micawber

An original HLB B-3.

Briefly..

The B-3 is the kind of jacket worn by bomber crews as a token protection against cold during high altitude operations during the Second World War until superseded by improved garments later in the conflict. Search this forum or the internet for full details of the history of the garment.

USAAF shearling jackets of the era while outwardly appearing ok can prove to be fragile and prone to rot or tearing easily. Traditional advice is not to keep them on a hanger but rather store on a body form / mannequin or laid flat out if sunlight.

MikeyB-17

Good job on the pics. Looks to be in good shape, although always hard to tell from pics. I think the label has just split from use.